Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Trade in Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 14, 2010 5:26:20 AM PDT
Does Amazon wantto keep its customers? Where is the offer to trade in the old Kindles for the new one.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 5:47:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2010 5:48:42 AM PDT
There is no trade in program per se but you can sell your current Kindle at the link below assuming you are referring to the first generation Kindle.

Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 5:54:51 AM PDT
Cyndi G. says:
Yep, you can get a good price for a used K1 in good shape. Some man walked up to me at the boat dock the other day and ask if I wanted to sell mine. Uh, no!

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 5:55:03 AM PDT
Pamela says:
Wow, why won't Best Buy take my old analog TV in exchange for my new 50" digital widescreen TV? ;) Seriously tho', Amazon is keeping me just fine. Love my Kindle, and don't want them to offer to trade it in - I want to have it when I get the new one. Then I'll have two.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 7:34:49 AM PDT
Pamela it was good question. Some that had the first one want to get it again instead of the update or someone may just want the features on the first generation. If amazon is willing to help you sell it then that's great. There is always e-bay. I do like the idea of a trade in and see nothing wrong it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 7:41:22 AM PDT
Freda,

The problem is that its not based in any kind of reality at all. Nobody does that.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 7:48:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2010 7:50:31 AM PDT
>Nobody does that.

Well, some retailers like camera stores do, but I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer do it. And really, why should they? Buyers are expected to have made a rational decision to buy a product based on the price it was for sale for, and shouldn't need a "back end" discount once they are ready to move onto a newer model.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 9:24:29 AM PDT
Some stores do actually take trade-ins on some items, so it's a valid question. Best Buy takes trades on iPods, computers, cameras, etc., but not on readers, so far anyway. The Apple Store offers a 10% discount off a new item when you turn in an old one for recycling. Target is hooked up with NextWorth.com for trade-ins. Gazelle.com is another web site that takes trade-ins, even readers. In fact, at Gazelle, you can choose to take the trade-in amount in the form of an Amazon gift card and get an additional percentage over the other payment methods, I think it's 3%.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 11:20:04 AM PDT
Huron, that is not what the original poster asked.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 11:28:16 AM PDT
I merely pointed out that it's not impossible to get something out of an older device to put toward a new one. Neither of your comments even attempts to answer what the OP asked.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 12:01:37 PM PDT
JP Reader Me says:
I don't think the point is that it isn't a good idea - it's just the tone of the original post is quite off-putting.

As others have said there is a means provided on Amazon to sell a used Kindle, but no trade-in program.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 12:15:20 PM PDT
janice399 says:
Amazon has been great about replacing Kindle 1's for a discounted price. This last damaged Kindle 1 (done by JJ the Kindle destroyer, my youngest daughter) was replaced for $92. It was going to be 30 days before a K1 was going to be available so Amazon replaced it with a US K2 to our jump up and down excitement. Unfortunatly it is JJ the Kindle destroyers K2.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 12:38:53 PM PDT
So i know amazon does not trade in but does amazon fix kindles? I have a DX the first one they came out with that I got about a year ago. I haven't done anything to do it to damage it but one minute it was working fine and the next the screen was broken, and of course my one year warranty expired fifteen days ago. I dont want to buy a whole new one and I saw an ad to buy a refurbished kindle so I wondered if anyone had ever had amazon repair their kindle. Or do they accept broken kindles for some credit towards a new one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 12:43:42 PM PDT
flipoid says:
A. Alexander, even though it's 15 days out of warranty, I would call Kindle CS anyway to see what they tell you. They might offer you a good price on a refurbished DX.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 12:46:19 PM PDT
Yes, give kindle CS a call. I have seen some people post on here that they either did an even exchange or were offered a cheaper refurb.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 1:44:57 PM PDT
Paegan2246 says:
Why do quite a few Kindle owners feel they deserve different treatment than the rest of the buying public? Where does this attitude come from? I don't expect Best Buy to take my old TV, VCR or camcorder in trade when I purchase a new one. I don't expect IBM or Apple to let me trade in my old laptop for a new one. Obsoleted electronics are just that...use it till it blows up and then get a new one. If you absolutely have to have the newest bells and whistles...pony up and pay for it. And quit whining about Amazon not treating you "special"

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 2:24:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2010 2:24:54 PM PDT
amazon to my knowledge does not fix them, but square trade (if you have that coverage) will give it a try.

Krueger, I don't see anyone whining. the op was just commenting that Amazon might be missing a good bet but not offering to do that. I think it's Amazon's amazing service that makes us expect more. And they are already making us feel special. Because Amazon usually gives more. And I've discovered in the last three years that any company will go to bat to give you more if you ask for it. If Amazon were to offer a trade in for some kind of discount to get the upgrade, they would probably add a zillion people buying their product over others. This is not whining. This is just good business. I cannot think of a reason I'd trade in my Emily because I'm very happy with what she does, but you never know.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 2:32:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2010 2:33:43 PM PDT
Off topic a little: How, telling what you want will make a difference....

Credit card.... I was one day late, they upped the interest to max and gave me a whopping late fee. I called, was very sweet and they not only took off the late fee, they put my interest back to the lowest amount and gave me credit for all the interest that year. (and that's after I kept telling them they didn't need to do the last part because I did owe it)

Walgreens photo,.... here in Key West the machine was doing a crappy job with my photos and I could have waited till I got home to print them myself. But I had a talk with the photo girl and she even let me come back and help her "hand" crop my photos. (it was a slow day.) We did it again today and she said it was the most fun she'd had. And I wasn't charged. And.... they offered me a job.

Car insurance, much lower rate, and about ten other times with other things.
Always ask for stuff you want. Make sure you are polite. Make sure you are friendly. If you don't ask, you'll never get.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 3:22:58 PM PDT
Caddis Nymph says:
Well said, Freda. My momma always said, "You catch more flies with honey ..." Well, you know the rest.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 9:14:51 PM PDT
Thanks for the advice. As far as "special treatment" I don't think any of us kindle owners expect special treatment its just that when you pay close to two hundred or four hundred dollars for a product you expect it to be high quality and you expect high quality service for the product. I wouldnt take my tv back to best buy but I would be pretty upset with sony if i bought a tv and it broke after a year.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 1:05:09 AM PDT
The thing is, even if Amazon offered a trade-in discount, it wouldn't be worth it. It would likely be somewhere around $50. Since you can get a lot more than that by selling your old Kindle and putting the money towards purchasing a new one there's really no reason for Amazon to even make the offer. It would involve a lot of extra hassle for them for no real return.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
College book cost $$$$$$ 2 30 seconds ago
will the kindle paperwhite read pdfs and able to use Sribd? 1 1 minute ago
forgot what I order where can I find all orders 0 3 minutes ago
My kindle fire hd won't turn on 310 3 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 9691 4 minutes ago
garbage surveys and amazon business associates! 1 4 minutes ago
garbage surveys and amazon business associates! 5 4 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 2576 10 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 204 40 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jul 14, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions