Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Turning off 3G?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2010 7:01:36 AM PDT
Leah says:
I have both 3G and wireless on my Kindle, I think. I've read that wireless is faster. Is there a way to turn 3G off when I'm at home. It seems to take a long time to download books from archives. Or does it use wireless, before 3G? How do they work?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 7:04:37 AM PDT
sabst79 says:
Unless you have gotten the new Kindle 3 already you don't have WiFi. . 3G is the wireless service. To turn it off, from your home screen go to Menu -> turn off 3G. It may be worded a little differently, I dont have my Kindle with me right now.

Once you turn off 3G you won't be able to get books from the archive, you'll need to turn 3G back on for that or any other internet activity on your Kindle - book shopping, browsing, downloading from archives, syncing, etc.

Personally I only turn on 3G when I need it and keep it off the rest of the time to save battery life.

The new K3s have Wifi and 3G where you can turn 3G off but still have wi-fi access.

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 7:04:37 AM PDT
Only the K3 has both wi-fi and 3G. Wireless is 3G and wi-fi is a wireless signal from a separate source such as a hotspot, i.e. starbucks or your home wireless if you have it.

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 7:04:56 AM PDT
CLB77 says:
Only the new K3s have wi-fi capabilities, and they haven't shipped yet. Your K1 or K2 has only 3G. Sorry.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions