Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How does it work in other countries?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2007 9:34:26 PM PST
Does the Kindle Store support internet access as well as the inbuilt wireless connect? If not, what's the USB cable for? This is too significant a device to be limited to the USA, especially as people in other countries (like mine, Australia) travel abroad much more than Americans do. For its convenience, features and portability, it will have a tremendous market worldwide, but only if we can download the books through our computers and then transfer them to Kindle. Wireless may be cool, but everybody is comfortable with loading their music and videos to iPods through their PCs and Macs. Please tell me it's not limited to wireless, and not one of those products on Amazon listed as "not permitted to sell outside the USA."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2008 11:06:50 PM PST
hdtravel says:
The Kindle wireless service using Sprint ( EVDO ) only works in areas with coverage in the USA. The wireless features will not work outside the USA or in the USA where there is no coverage. You can read existing content on your Kindle anywhere or transfer content from a computer to your Kindle using the USB cable anywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 1:39:07 AM PST
steve F says:
Gary,
I'm not sure if Geoffery's question has been answered in full. You say that content can be transfered from a PC ( and or Mac I presume) to Kindle...can you confirm if such content includes Kindle books and other Kindle material...? ie., Is it possible for one to download the kindle book of their choice onto their PC or Mac, then transfer it accross to Kindle....??

Also I presume that Kindles can be sold via the Amazon shop to be delivered anywhere in the world and paid via credit card from the country of destination. I live in New Zealand and like the first writer , I see enormous potential in Kindle whether or not one is an international traveller.

Thanks

Steve Flaunty NZ

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 2:09:45 AM PST
Steve is right - my question was not answered - in full or in part. Wireless is obviously out for downloading Kindle materials anywhere but in the U.S. We both want to know two things:
1. Can Kindle books and other reading material be downloaded to computers via the internet, and then transferred to the machine in the same way as iTunes?
1(A) Both Windows and Mac?
2. Will Amazon sell the Kindle reader to a customer outside the U.S.?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 2:18:35 AM PST
steve F says:
Geoffery,
Could I add one more point for Gary to answer;
Supposing the Kindle is able to be purchased outside the US, delivered to an International destination such as Australia or NZ, and paid for with a credit card issued on one of our countries banks (ie., non US based) ...can we then purchase Kindle material to load onto the device, in the same way.ie., with a non US based credit card, just as we currently do with hard copy books ??

Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 2:34:55 AM PST
Yes, I'd be interested to have this confirmed, but everything I have read on these forum threads indicates that reading material can be bought only with a U.S. domiciled credit card. As a writer, I have also been stymied by finding that materials for sale on Kindle (Amazon invites submission of digital material) will be accepted only from people with a U.S. residency and bank account. This is more understandable, because of copyright complexities. But I am unable to see why hard print books and talking books can be bought from anywhere in the world, but the same credit card is not usable to buy Kindle downloads. I think I'll give up on the whole thing until Amazon can sort out worldwide marketing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 4:18:09 AM PST
Keeley says:
Kindle can only be shipped to a U.S. address.
You can only buy books (and the Kindle itself) with a U.S. credit card.

However, if you can accomplish those, you can use the Kindle anywhere in the world.

Yes, the Kindle will only be able to use the wireless in the U.S., but if you have a U.S. credit card to buy the books, you can download them to your computer and transfer them to the Kindle with the USB cable.

However, without access to the wireless EVDO through Sprint, you won't be able to use the Wikipedia and NowNow functions. Also, if Amazon were to ever do a firmware update you might not be able to do it unless they somehow also offered it for download on their site.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 11:56:16 AM PST
Brent says:
OK, lemme see if I can answer these questions. Wish me luck!

Geoffrey C. Luck wrote, "Does the Kindle Store support internet access as well as the inbuilt wireless connect?"

You can access the Kindle Store from any web browser, at <http://www.amazon.com/kindlestore>. You can also access a stripped-down version of the Kindle Store directly from the Kindle using the Kindle's built-in Sprint Whispernet coverage.

Geoffrey also wrote, "what's the USB cable for?"

A few things. You can use it if you're in a physical location that doesn't get Sprint Whispernet. You can use it to copy text files, converted documents, etc. directly to the Kindle. You can also transfer photos to the Kindle. I use it primarily to back up all my Kindle books, etc. to my computer.

As others have said, it does have to be shipped to a U.S. location, and books must be purchased with a U.S. credt card. If you can do that, you can use the Kindle anywhere in the world.

As to why? I don't know, but I suspect it's because of the licenses the publishers have. Doubleday does not buy worldwide rights to a book; just the rights to publish a book in, say, America. There are many different editions of books published by many different publishers in different countries. If Amazon were to allow anyone in the world to buy Kindle books, I think it may contravene the publishing rights of the publishers in non-American countries, who aren't getting paid despite purchasing the rights to that book in that country.

S. A. Flaunty asked, "You say that content can be transfered from a PC ( and or Mac I presume) to Kindle...can you confirm if such content includes Kindle books and other Kindle material...? ie., Is it possible for one to download the kindle book of their choice onto their PC or Mac, then transfer it accross to Kindle....??"

Yes, on all counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 2:15:33 PM PST
Thanks to everone for their clarifications.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008 2:31:07 AM PST
steve F says:
Geoffrey,

I came accross the following comment in another discussion "Kindle in Canada " it goes as follows;...............................

Here is an alternative for those who use PayPal. PayPal has a new feature that will generate secure single or multiple use Mastercard credit card numbers that can be used to purchase things off the web that do not have PayPal as the option. The amount "charged" is still taken from your PayPal payment source (bank account, credit card, etc.) but the store sees a valid credit card being used.
Whether or not the credit card generated is considered a "US" credit card I'm not sure. ........................................

I will leave this posted up here and see if anyone responds.....I suppose for a single transaction of $9.00 (if it works) it may be worthwhile to try and download a kindle book to a PC....

If it does work then I think it will be a good solution for getting all Kindle material...I note however that "Keeley" above states that the Kindle device will only be delivered to a US address...I am not sure how authorative that is .... I suppose if it is correct, then one will have to find a way to aquire the device first, eg., through a friend or colleague who resides over there and then continue to download the source material by the method described above.

It seems like an aroundabout way of resolving the problem but I don't see an early solution to negotiations with publishing rights and a universally accepted enctyption method in the near future...after the decimation of the recording industry with file sharing ....I hope I'm wrong but that's my hunce..

Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2008 6:23:02 AM PST
Keeley says:
S.A. Flaunty said:
"...I note however that "Keeley" above states that the Kindle device will only be delivered to a US address...I am not sure how authorative that is ...."

Well, I don't work for Amazon or anything, but even on the product page it tells you that it will only ship to a U.S. address.

As far as the PayPal thing with the one-time credit card #, that sounds like it might work for you. You could probably even call PayPal and find out if it's a U.S. 'account.'
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions