Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle screen hardware problem

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2010 8:24:04 PM PDT
Hi, I received my first Kindle in Feb 2009, and I had my first replacement in Sep 2009 because the upper part of my Kindle screen had strips and the customer service said it was hardware issue. I got a refurbished Kindle, and the day before yesterday, the very similar stripes appeared again on the upper part of my replaced Kindle. Of course it is out of warranty, so I was told that I can pay $89 for a refurbished device. My problem is, if this is hardware issue, what am I supposed to do? Keep spending money every 6 months? I can honestly say that my Kindle was never dropped nor touched water. I am demanding an answer from Amazon, although I doubt they really care. I just want to know how many people out there have similar "hardware" issue? I have googled and found I am definitely not the only one. I am interested to know how you guys solved your issue with Amazon if your Kindle is out of warranty? I really like Amazon but I am now very annoyed by the only product Amazon made...Thank you very much

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 8:30:58 PM PDT
Do you put your Kindle in some kind of case to protect it in transport?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 8:43:26 PM PDT
I didn't buy special case, I just have an old appointment book cover kind of thing to fit my Kindle in my handbag. The screen didn't crack or anything, it looks like this
http://www.blogkindle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/kindle-broken.jpg
except only the top maybe 10% of the screen. I remembered my last Kindle had a slightly wider defect. The customer service said it was hardware issue.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 8:44:22 PM PDT
Amazon replaced mine 3 months out of warranty.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 8:44:48 PM PDT
word of advice, spend 15-20$ and get a case designed to store the kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 8:49:32 PM PDT
Really? Any suggestion that how do I reason with Amazon? I am not trying to take advantage of Amazon, I really like this company, but I really don't think it is MY fault so it truly upsets me. Another concern I have is, will I receive another "lemon"? Is your replaced Kindle working fine for at least one year? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 8:51:33 PM PDT
Thank you for your suggestion, I just don't think that is the reason. I am pretty confident that I didn't "pressure" my Kindle. I use it practically everyday, and the screen problem just happened all of a sudden.... no sign at all..But thank you!!!

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 8:53:43 PM PDT
A. Sisk says:
I sympathize and feel your pain. I would simply talk to a KINDLE CS rep and bring up those same issues...why would YOU keep having the same problem?

I've had my k2 since Mother's Day of '09 and have had one minor glitch....which took Amazon a few days to figure out. Other than that it's been smooth sailing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 9:07:05 PM PDT
Honestly speaking, that is what I try to find out. If I am the one causes the problem, I would definitely try to avoid that when I buy a new Kindle. I am not willing to spend more money to buy a device lasts only 6 months. I did talk to Amazon and they offered me a $89 refurbished Kindle, they will also pass my problem to the tech support, but they won't tell me the result. I googled around and found I am not the only one had screen issues. I just hope to get some idea from this forum that how many of you out there had the similar experience..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 9:37:13 PM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
H. Liu, obviously this is not a typical problem or there would be hundreds to thousands of angry customers flooding this forum as well as the rest of the internet. I certainly understand your reluctance in purchasing yet another Kindle after two such occurrences in such a short time.

I was wondering about moving the Kindle between extremes of temperature and humidity, but your profile gives no information about where you live. Is your Kindle exposed to any other unusual conditions the average person never encounters (strong magnets, static electricity)? Could anyone else get it out of your handbag and maybe drop it without telling you about it?

It's like trying to solve a mystery.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 9:45:41 PM PDT
I live in NJ, and I take train to work everyday. I have a binder like old appointment book cover thing to put my Kindle in. There is nobody approaches my handbag without me knowing it, even my own kid!!! What I don't understand is WHY the screen part has problem just all of a sudden. I suspect it is the hardware thing because (1) the first customer service told me very quickly that "hardware issue, we will send you a replacement" while I was trying to troubleshoot with them. (2) google search seems to show people having the screen issue without doing anything it. I do agree it can't be a typical issue, that is why I would like Amazon to determine what was the issue. I was still pretty confident and still love my Kindle after the first replacement. But when it happened again just 5 hours after my previous Kindle reading.. I just can't believe my eyes...Any more suggestions? Thanks.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 10:30:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2010 10:33:12 PM PDT
I had the same problem in July with my US K2 and mine was out of warranty by 3 months. It had a strip in the upper right corner one day. I was reading but sat it down on the coffee table to go into another room for a few minutes and when I came back to read it had a strip in the upper right corner. I hadn't dropped it or anything and it was in a case but Amazon wouldn't do anything but offer me a refurbished replacement US K2 for $89.99 and a 90 day warranty on the replacement. I also told them of reading of others that had the same problem but they wouldn't budge. I ended up just buying a refurbished US K2 for $109.99 with a full year warranty. But like you I am hoping that this doesn't happen to me again because I don't have the money to be buying one after another. I hope you have better luck than I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 10:43:44 PM PDT
Thanks for sharing. I don't have the money, because I did spend $359 to buy the first Kindle. With that price, I do expect it to last at least two years? The price of Kindle is much lower now, but I don't want to spend $139 every 6 months...

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 10:48:37 PM PDT
H Liu,

Try calling back and speaking to another Kindle CS representative. Maybe the next one will be more helpful. Many people have reported dropping/damaging their kindles to Kindle CS reps and they were overnighted new Kindles despite being out of warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 10:52:17 PM PDT
I know how you feel I spent $359 for my first one as well. If this one breaks out of warranty I don't know if I will be buying another if I have the money. I hope you do better with CS then I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 10:55:06 PM PDT
Thanks a lot. I am such a royal amazon customer...sigh...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 10:57:53 PM PDT
If I can find out the information of how others get replacement out of warranty, I will use that to argue with them. I never dropped or watered my Kindle for sure. I am collecting information to make another call to CS. Thank you for the suggestion!

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 11:14:59 PM PDT
Actually, this is a VERY common issue and like H. Lie mentioned, if you google it you will see that there are many many people who have had this problem. Amazon is VERY aware of the issue. I've had it happen to mine twice. The first time it was right after I returned home from vacation. First thing Amazon asked me was if I had had the kindle on a plane. I said I had and they said that has been a common problem and immediately sent me a new one. The second time, I couldn't figure out anything that could have caused it. I set the kindle on my nightstand when I went to sleep, turned it on the morning and it looked like an etch a sketch. Nothing at all happened to it and I DO have mine in a specially designed Kindle case. Although, when the problem happened. I hadn't had the kindle anywhere but in my bedroom. It was either in my hands or sitting on the nightstand. Again, Amazon replaced it with no problem. They were great both times but I was well within the warranty both times. They do offer an extended warranty and I've considered buying that because I just know it's going to happen again and next time, I probably won't be lucky enough that it will still be within warranty. And of course, I'm hopelessly addicted to my Kindle. I read about 1 book everyday or every other day at the least.

Now, my husband, has had no problem at all with his Kindle. He has even flown with his numerous times as well as carries hit to and from work everyday. Maybe he was just lucky and got a good one?

I agree with the OP that it is extremely frustrating and for the price, we shouldn't have to worry about it suddenly going wonky for no reason whatsoever.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with getting this resolved and am very interested in hearing how it turns out. Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 11:27:50 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
From what I know about e-Ink technology (and that is not much), I don't see how anything you did could cause this malfunction. It would be interesting to learn whether the problem is with the pigment capsules themselves or with driving electronics, but I doubt we will extract the info from Amazon. Perhaps screen manufacturer would be more forthcoming (not that this would help you in any way)?

I agree with posters who said that, judging by this board, this "double whammy" seems to be rather rare. After all, millions of units have been sold. If one device in thousand fails within six months, one user in a million will have replacement fail, too. So, we will have several of those, one of them being you. :o(

If I were you, I would pass on the offer for a refurbished K2 and buy a new K3 with extended warranty. As for care for your Kindle, just try not to put any pressure or bending moments on the screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 11:30:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2010 11:32:32 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Hm, interesting tidbit, Drusilla. Mentioning airplane might mean the screen manufacturer has a problem with sealing, so that pressure changes affect it.

Apparently, I will have to revise my "one in thousand" number downward :o(

Edit: Hopefully, E.Ink Corp. will have addressed this with the new Pearl screen. Another reason to go with K3.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 11:32:34 PM PDT
i also have had the same problem with my kindle twice since i purchased it in dec amazon has beem very helpful inreplacing it each time but iam very frustrated and hope this will not poccur again as i am very careful with it special case etc amazon states they have never had a complaint twice regarding the kindle but i am sceptical of this

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 6:57:04 AM PDT
Thank you all for suggestions and sharing experiences, I really appreciate it. I will call CS again and see what they are going to do with it, and post the result here.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 7:26:28 AM PDT
janice399 says:
This is very unsettling news! I think I will sell all my K2i's and think about CS responses to you H.Liu because I believe you and it does seem like you have received defective devices.
It really saddens me to think you paid $359 for a device to purchase books from Amazon and they will not warranty the device to last any reasonably expected time. When a new Kindle 3 is $139 it would never make sense to pay $89 for a short warranty on another probablly repaired defective device.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2010 7:56:52 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
"it would never make sense to pay $89 for a short warranty on another probably repaired defective device"

Modern highly integrated devices are too expensive to repair. "Refurbished" Kindle is most probably returned new, flawles unit, or, at the very worst, the unit with failed and replaced battery.

So now you are going to sell your devices because someone else had problems with them? Do what you want, of course, but isn't this a bit rushed decision?

But, as I said, I agree that $139 or $189 for K3 makes much more sense that $89 for K2, for which one cannot get extended warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2010 7:58:06 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
"they will not warranty the device to last any reasonably expected time"

How long are "reasonable" warranties on other similarly priced electronics devices?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions