Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New Kindle Model in the Near Future?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2010 7:46:40 AM PST
Dizy R says:
Hi - has anyone heard if Kindle plans on upgrading their product so it too has a self-replaceable battery and allow external memory? Thanks

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 7:55:30 AM PST
K1 had these features. I don't know why amazon eliminated them in the k2 although the archive would seem to eliminate the need for external storage.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 7:55:42 AM PST
B. Langner says:
They had that. It was called the Kindle 1. But to answer your question directly, we do not get notice of future developments.

I always have to wonder if your iPod has those features?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 7:57:00 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
All we know is that the original Kindle had those things and they were abandoned by Amazon. I've read that the replaceable batteries don't last as long and that a standard way to troubleshoot problems on the original Kindle is to pull out the SD card. So now that Amazon has sold many more Kindles, I can't imagine that they would want to go back to the days when Kindles have more problems because of these unnecessary appendages. Just think of how the price would have to go up to pay all the additional support technicians.

If you need extra battery power because you'll be traveling where there is no electricity, you could get one of those external battery devices that hold enough power to provide several charges. Using Kindle only to read what has already been downloaded and indexed, you should be able to read for months that way. And with 1500 or so books fitting on the internal K2 storage, you should be able to read for years without downloading any new books. If you read one book every day, it would take 4 years to read 1500 books. That's why I called those things unnecessary appendages.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 7:57:08 AM PST
ALAN says:
Both of these "upgrades" would add weight and size to the K2 and are largely unnecessary. You have unlimited storage in archives (downloadable in a minute wirelessly) and up to 1500 active books on the unit itself. (And for the DX it is more like 4000 books plus archives.) The battery life is very long. I hope they do not listen to such demands, largely from non-users.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 8:07:29 AM PST
Dizy R says:
Thanks for this information. As you can tell I do not currently own a Kindle but am trying to make some decisions about purchasing one in the near future. These comments help. Thanks

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 8:24:02 AM PST
ALAN says:
Dizy, feel free to ask anything you want and we will be honest with you. I am just sure that the lack of an SD slot and the imbedded battery is really a feature of the k2 and not a fault.

The problem of storage is not the amount of it, and adding SD cards would really be a useless appendage as Shirley said. we think the problem is organization of your files on the device BECAUSE you can have so many books on there at a time. 1500 and ordered via title, author, or recent? That can get tricky. Fortunately Amazon knows this and will upgrade our software next quarter, we hear tell, to allow folders. That will allow me to group the books by Already Read, Fiction, Nonfiction, Classics, or whatever. I want that. Some people will not because it would mean that their home screen has an extra step to find and click on books. I hope it is optional only and still allows some unfoldered books to be on the first page of the Home screen (the ones you want to see right away, very active reads).

So we do not see an issue with storage, just with organizing the massive number of books (many 1000s of them free) you will download wirelessly and instantly) with your device.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 10:57:18 AM PST
For these features in particular I am keeping my kindle 1 besides my new Kindle DX. Just ordered a new battery for my Kindle 1 since I did use the poor thing to death. It's working fine but I bought it as a prevention.

Was there an archive when the Kindle 1 came out? I seemed to discover it along the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 11:00:59 AM PST
The K1 doesn't refer to an archive - you just open Content Manager and all your Amazon purchases and anything else you have on your Kindle or SD card show up.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 11:10:06 AM PST
John Newton says:
They may not have called it "the archieve" but with the K1 you have the same funtionality (Your Amazon purchased content is available from Amazon for download.) Of course it only works for content from Amazon. Functionally you can have an "archieve" of all the content on Mobileread or Manybooks as well all you need is their index file and you can download their content at any time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 11:12:12 AM PST
I understand that, what i wasn't sure of is the archive has always existed.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 11:31:51 AM PST
If you want a self-replaceable battery and sd card slot, you can always look around on eBay for a K1. But unless you plan to cram it full of music, the memory of the K2 is plenty large enough to hold all the books you'd want - especially since you can leave ones you don't immediately need in your archive.

As far as upgrades in the future go, there have been some indications that Amazon will be coming out with a color screen - but it could be awhile. A lot of how long it's going to take, I suspect, depends on how threatened they feel their market dominance will be by the Apple Tablet that may be coming when Apple makes their big announcement next week. Amazon has raised the payments they're making to authors to match the rates the Apple store is paying, so obviously Amazon does feel there is some threat. I certainly wouldn't look for a color screen before the summer, in any case, and it might take a lot longer than that.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 12:04:17 PM PST
John Newton says:
Yes the K1 has always had the "archive" ability or rather Amazon has. I would bet almost any online ebook store would allow you to redownload your purchased content (if not they should or they will have problems retaining customers) thus they would all have an "archive" function.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 12:15:14 PM PST
Sony did not have when I purchased my first Kindle. They have recently launched a much needed new Sony elibrary website. Need to check out if they now include an archive. Sony customer service once told me that if my reader lost the books they had no way of reloading them. Never bought another book from them.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 12:26:28 PM PST
John Newton says:
Mercedes - So my prediction held true in your case. They did not have the feature (I can't imagine that is still true????) and they did not retain you as a customer. ;-) Any store that sells digital items should offer it e.g. ebooks, mp3s, software, etc. but that's just my opinion.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 1:08:09 PM PST
Ambermonk says:
My biggest concern for the current Kindle - and my biggest hope for the next version is finding a solution to the non-replaceable battery. Amazon's current policy is to have Kindles with exhausted batteries be returned to them for a $59 replacement Kindle (probably refurbished). I live on the west coast, so this would probably entail not having use of the Kindle for about 3 weeks (plus the time to re-download all of my books).

The current size of the memory is a bit of an issue for me also. I have had my Kindle for just 3 weeks but only have 321 MB left of unused memory. At this rate, I'll be out of memory by next month! I have downloaded many books from non-Amazon sources, so these would not be available from Amazon. Currently I am backing up my books via Calibre.

But the bottom line is: I don't want to have to give up my Kindle when the battery wears out.

Having said all this, my hope is that Amazon will not release a new version before the next Christmas season (perhaps Oct/Nov). I would rather see new software downloads with new features until then. These new software downloads would not press the actual hardware design too much. Amazon could use the extra time to more profitably develop a more expansive future hardware design that would take advantage of still-emerging e-reader trends.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 1:19:12 PM PST
sailorwind says:
Jim- why would it take you so long to get a replacement specifically being on the west coast? Amazon does everything in PST, so I guess I always assumed that meant they were BASED on the west coast....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 1:29:59 PM PST
sailowind "Amazon does everything in PST, so I guess I always assumed that meant they were BASED on the west coast.... "

Amazon HQ is in Seattle, but they have warehouses around the country that they ship from. Not sure where the Kindle would have to be returned to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 1:58:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2010 2:03:32 PM PST
Ambermonk says:
Thanks for your question Sailorwind. Actually my Kindle was shipped from Whitestown, Indiana on December 14 to my home in California. I received it on December 21st - one week of transit time (not too bad).

So I anticipate...
1 week to send.
1 week for return shipping
2-3 days (?) for processing.
3-5 days for re-downloading all of my books.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 2:23:43 PM PST
flipoid says:
Jim, in the replacement situations (under warranty or defective product), Amazon tends to ship the Kindles overnight; I don't know if they would do this for the ones that need new batteries.

As for the re-downloading of all your books, if I were in that situation, I would just re-download the ones I hadn't read. (-: Wouldn't take very long at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 3:02:04 PM PST
Ambermonk says:
Forsythia, your point about re-downloading is an interesting one - that deserves wider attention. Consequently I have just started a new topic regarding the philosophy for managing your Kindle content.

E-readers are an emerging technology that presents lots of unanswered questions about different type of usage. I am undecided in many areas. I hope this new topic will help by presenting some new ideas. Thanks for your comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 3:03:58 PM PST
NV Rick says:
Jim, unless you need those hundreds of books available immediately (possibly for research), why don't you just use the archive feature for books you have already read or have yet to read? I have over 100 books on my K2 and still have over 1.4 MB of memory left.
If you have used a lot of memory for music or photos, I can understand why you would have so little memory left, but in that case, maybe carrying an iPod might be a better idea for those media.
As was pointed out, if you are running out of memory due to book storage, why not archive and reload those books when needed?

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 3:53:35 PM PST
Ambermonk says:
NV,
A typical book might be 0.3 MB long. Just 1 volume of the (8 vol) New Cambridge Medieval History ran to 83 MB!!! Such a book might take well over an hour to download. The last time I tried that (downloading from my PC), it caused many problems.

When downloading a book from your PC, there is no progress bar on the Kindle to show when the download is complete. I ended up disconnecting my Kindle before the download was complete and it crashed my Kindle. I had to call Kindle CS, and ended up restarting my Kindle. I had to guess when the download was complete.

I'm not anxious to try this experience again!

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 4:38:17 PM PST
Jim " I have just started a new topic regarding the philosophy for managing your Kindle content."

I searched for your topic but couldn't find it. Can you post a link. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 5:47:10 PM PST
Ambermonk says:
Nabrum:
Its called

What's Your Philosophy For Managing Your Kindle Content?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1344 46 minutes ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Internal storage maxing out when it shouldn't 81 1 minute ago
2015 Fire unable to see books on SD after factory reset 8 19 minutes ago
My 2nd Generation Kindle (with keyboard) won't update 102 23 minutes ago
Mr.Spock son of Serek for President 0 24 minutes ago
Kindle fire hd camera is not working 14 47 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5748 49 minutes ago
kindle fire black screen 242 59 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 2388 1 hour ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 135 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions