Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle Previewer for HTML 5 Coming Soon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2010 10:10:26 AM PDT
You can already buy your Kindle books once and read them anywhere: Kindle, Kindle DX, Android, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, PC, and Mac. Soon, with the new "Kindle Previewer for HTML 5" that we are announcing today, you'll be able to sample Kindle books from anywhere. Kindle book previews will be available through your web browser-simply click a Preview button on an Amazon book detail page and a new browser window will open containing the preview. If at any point while you're reading the preview you decide you want to buy the full book, simply click the buy button and it will be instantly downloaded to your Kindle or any one of our free Kindle apps. Because the new previewer is designed specifically for HTML 5 and CSS3, the latest generation of industry web standards, Kindle Previewer for HTML 5 will offer a great experience, with complex layouts and graphic design, embedded audio and video where useful, and enhanced user interactivity. We are excited about this new feature and look forward to making it available in the coming weeks.

Please stay tuned for more details.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:29:37 AM PDT
Jo MW says:
Very nice. I wonder if this replaces samples?

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:30:17 AM PDT
I'm hoping it's in addition to, not instead of...

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:40:48 AM PDT
Kindryll says:
PLEASE don't take away samples! That's how I keep track of books I want to buy.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:41:06 AM PDT
I cannot possibly imagine that Amazon is doing this instead of the existing samples, since it would require you to have an actual computer in order to sample books. This simply looks like a way to view samples before buying a book while shopping on a computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 10:42:41 AM PDT
Kindryll, I do exactly the same thing. Works better for me than a wish list because I can re-read the sample to be sure it's what I want, and then just hit the Buy option.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:42:58 AM PDT
Thank you for first being on the cutting edge of technology and second for using HTML5 and CSS3. Those folks that don't keep up with technology just bring the rest of us down because most businesses cater to the lowest common denominator or the least advanced user. It's a tough decision to make one that includes the latest and greatest but I think it's a good one! I LOVE MY KINDLE!!

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:49:27 AM PDT
So does this mean that we will be getting updated internet use as well? Right now, I have my pictures disable so I can at least read internet pages without it taking forever to download. Will this be another update for Kindle 2?

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:54:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2010 11:07:14 AM PDT
Diane, there is NO way that Kindles will be able to use this feature; it will require the capabilities of a computer to run. And what would the point be; there is a perfectly adequate way of handling samples on the device itself. The purpose here is to let people view samples outside of a Kindle or a kindle app.

Not only does this provide options for existing Kindlers, but it can help get people into the Kindle ecosystem in the first place.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:55:37 AM PDT
For ppl like myself who lives in an area that DOES NOT get the wispernet... this will be a dream come true. I can only get samples when I drive to another town nearby that gets the wispernet, which is @ 20 miles.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:10:08 AM PDT
Sheila, you have been able to download samples to your computer for some time now. You can either view them in Kindle4PC, or, just change the file extension to .mobi, and view them with Mobipocket Reader.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:27:40 AM PDT
Hi Susan, I did not know this... thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 11:44:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2010 11:45:10 AM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
Yeah, I've started doing this almost exclusively. Now I don't have to run down the Kindle battery by downloading and indexing samples and then removing the index entries when I delete the sample. Maybe I'm almost glad we can't search on Kindle for Mac. But previewing online is even better.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:45:51 AM PDT
Why does anyone care if it's "for HTML5"? Do I have to know if my browser is HTML5-compatible? Will you also start telling me about every other kind of technology you use too?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 12:04:38 PM PDT
P.B. Pegg says:
Being a kindle newbie, can you please tell me how to access kindle4pc because I have limited access to whispernet also.

thanks!

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:16:09 PM PDT
KindlePad says:
HTML5 is being bandied about as there is an on-going discussion about what mobile devices will use to get data from the web. Many people are moving away from Flash as the defacto standard for interactivity on websites. Apple's IOS devices don't support flash (safe to say never will) and most other mobile devices don't either.

HTML5 is the new standard for many functions that previously only Flash was used for. But as many people will attest, Flash is buggy, a security risk, and owned by just Adobe so that means if you build some major part of your website with Flash, you are in bed with Adobe to keep that working (and paying & paying).

HTML5 is open source so you don't pay anything to develop with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 12:17:54 PM PDT
Andrew, this is about whether Flash is required or not - HTML5 is an alternative. For those of us who choose to use devices that don't support Flash (iPhone, iPad) this is a great move towards standards that will be more future-proof.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:18:16 PM PDT
Go here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ms_sbrspot_0?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311&pf_rd_p=1268025762&pf_rd_s=center-22&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0015T963C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1METNVET291D5ZNJ2DS4

Download and install.

This program will let you read your Kindle books on your computer.

If all you want to do is download books to transfer to your Kindle, however, you don't need that software. Just buy a Kindle book. When it asks you which Kindle it's for, select transfer from computer. It will download to your computer and you can transfer it to the Kindle using the USB cord.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:27:32 PM PDT
Beesocks says:
Ah, so this will be a way to read samples online then? Is that what it means under all of the HTML5 etc. talk?

This would be good for non-kindlers too, who could use the samples to help choose their DTBs.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:36:36 PM PDT
Wonderful! I like the idea of this option in addition to downloading samples to my Kindle. Amazon, please clarify the announcement to reassure us that downloading samples will continue!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 12:38:20 PM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
I'm curious about why it should take anything but basic HTML to read samples online. We've had the ability to "look inside" paper books for years. What is different about the samples? It it the interactivity of keeping a Buy button available on every page?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 1:07:17 PM PDT
BareThoughts says:
Part of it is becuase of their new web widgets (seperate announcement)... with the way they are setting it up, you can view samples through the widgets on other sites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 1:19:34 PM PDT
Jo MW says:
Developers care; please note the 'widget' announcement.

Also, people on Safari browsers care, and especially folks using iPads, because iPads are too crippled to use flash.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 3:46:24 PM PDT
Pat D. says:
Please explain "web widget"

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 5:37:42 PM PDT
Pamela says:
I'd like to add my vote for keeping the samples please. This will be useful, no doubt, but please don't take away the sample feature.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions