Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Boycott anything over $9.99

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2476-2500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 5:54:24 AM PDT
dirtymc says:
"Whenever evil befalls us, we ought to ask ourselves, after the first suffering, how we can turn it into good. So shall we take occasion, from one bitter root, to raise perhaps many flowers."

Leigh Hunt (1784 - 1859)

Amazon give us some cheap books so we can reep our flowers.go boycotters.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 6:37:43 AM PDT
Morning dirtymc,
Wow !!!
As I sit here wondering how to" ignite" this forum-(Madison's word) such a small word with such a powerful definition-(burn= ideas into my head)(fire= keep throwing logs into it to so we can watch this forum grow bigger and become ablaze again), and how appropriate " KINDLE "= rouse- excite - ignite-incite-inflame.
I know this is how I feel about being able to finish what we have started, I also know it takes a lot more participants to help-just write 1 email a day to Authors or publishers,IMHO would help us dramatically.I want us to be United and Ignited !!!
I can't wait to see Knipfty's data Monday.
Are we all burnt out???
Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 3:44:48 PM PDT
dirtymc says:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

There are those who call us boycotters unreasonable, that might not be such a bad thing after all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 4:23:02 PM PDT
Again I want to know what is happening with the price of new books?
Michael Palmer's Second Opinion (Kindle Price:$14.27 - You save $11.68)
Save $11.68 off what? I can buy the new hardback book at most any store for $15-$16. $14.27 is a joke. In April, I bought First Family (kindle version) for $15.11 and three days later Kindle lowered the price to $9.99. I had to go through the process of cancelling the book and reordering it to get the lower cost.

I bought a Kindle 2 because of the lower cost of buying books. At $9.99 or even up to $12.50 that is true, but many of the new books are much higher cost (in the $14-$16 range). I can buy a new hardback at almost any store for usually less than $17 a book, and I get the book for my use and loaning to friends. I am thinking of boycotting the purchase of new books until the prices drop back toward the normal prices. We paid big bucks to get the Kindle 2 allowing us to get the books electronically. But if they are going increase the cost of books by 50% I will stop buying all together.

When are they going to learn?

Posted on May 16, 2009 6:43:28 PM PDT
Fred Forbes says:
Jusr went to buy "Halfway to Heaven" which looks interesting but it is priced at $14.30. Sorry, Amazon, $9.99 is the price point. Considering how close that price is to Costco's hardcover, I'll pass. Let me know when it is down to that price or when the paperback becomes available.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 7:06:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 16, 2009 7:14:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 7:19:48 PM PDT
Welcome Charles,
Thanks for finding us. I just spent about 40 minutes answering your concerns and posted it and only 1/4 of what I wrote appeared. I am just a bit frustrated and tired so I will answer your concern's tomorrow.
I am so sorry.
Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 7:27:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2009 7:29:00 PM PDT
Welcome Fred Forbes,
It honestly is not Amazon's fault. The Publisher is the one who sets the Digital List Price and send their price to Amazon. The Publishers Digital price sent to Amazon for this ebook is $26.00.

Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 7:31:54 PM PDT
dirtymc,
What did you do with the real dirtymc guy ???
Some serious quotes Bro. Is this the new you?????

Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2009 7:46:26 PM PDT
Lynne J. says:
Alice, I've had problems with some of my postings. I'm not sure if it's my old computer, internet connection, or Amazon. If I make a very long post I always copy it before I send it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 4:54:54 AM PDT
dirtymc says:
thanks alice. its the same old dmc, just finally got some time on my hands. I am excited to see that you and Knipfty ensured that the movement didn't go quietly into the night. Fred and Charles nice to meet you and welcome aboard.

Posted on May 17, 2009 5:48:22 AM PDT
Good Morning Kindlers,

@ Lynne J. Thanks Lynne I am going to do what you suggested. Good to see you back here.

@dmc, I was teasing you bro- I actually like the quotes- makes one stop and think.

Well I am going to answer Charles now- write it, copy it paste it and keep my fingers crossed.

Alice

Posted on May 17, 2009 7:06:13 AM PDT
Good Morning Charles V. Wallace,
Again Welcome and I will try to answer your Pricing concern's.
It is funny you chose Michael Palmer as I have had him on my Wish List and have watched the price's go up and down. Firdt it started at $14.27-dropped to $13.59-dropped again to $13.55- then went up to $13.91 and now is back at $14.27. Talk about head games !!!

You wrote " Again I want to know what is happening with the price of new books?
Michael Palmer's Second Opinion (Kindle Price:$14.27 - You save $11.68)
Save $11.68 off what? "
When you go to the Kindle store and type in Michael Palmer you then click on the title of his book and this page will come up. The Digital List Price of $25.95 is the price the Publisher set's for this book. He then sends this price to Amazon.Amazon then lowers the price for the Kindle to $14.27-if we do the math we subtract the $14.27 from the Publisher's price of $25.95 and come up with $11.68 savings off the Publishers cost. The higher the Pub's price the higher Amazon has to charge for the Kindle e-book. The price for this book in Hardcover set by the Publisher is $25.95 and Amazon 's Price based on the Pub's price is $17.13

Digital List Price $25.95 What's this?
Print List Price: $25.95
Kindle Price: $14.27 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: $11.68 (45%)
Michael Palmers book has been on the Boycott board at www.mad4kindle.com since it has come out- we have emailed him etc. If you want to drop him a e-mail here is his email address mpalmer@shore.net

You said " I bought a Kindle 2 because of the lower cost of buying books. At $9.99 or even up to $12.50 that is true, but many of the new books are much higher cost (in the $14-$16 range). I can buy a new hardback at almost any store for usually less than $17 a book, and I get the book for my use and loaning to friends."
Again we all understand your frustration and your logic. Unfortunately we Kindler's are caught in the middle of the Publisher's set price and Amazon price. Let's be fair Amazon has to charge above the $9.99 due to the ridiculous enflated prices the Publisher's set.
That is what this forum is all about- we have educated ourselves about every aspect of what and how a e-book is all about-- we know it only cost's PENNIES to upload, we know the cost savings of e-books a few cost savings are- no warehouses needed - no trucking books around the country- ( hugh savings on gas alone)- no returns-no advertising needed-and it goes on and on and on. We know more about the e-books than the Publishers.One of the biggest problems we have learned is that the Publisher's aren't communicating with their boss " The Author". Author's are writting their books for us fans to enjoy and paying their bills. They rely on their Publishers to handle publishing. Some Authors don't even know what a Kindle is or what pricing is involved.We know this because they have answered our emails and stated these things.
We still continue to email to Authors and if we can't get a direct email to them we then have to email the Publishers and we only get the run around and they pass the buck and they say it is Amazon.s fault. ( NOT )
Please don't give up , we are smack dab in the middle of this mess and we will go down with the ship if necessary.But we will not give up and we will not buy any ebook that is over $9.99.
I hope I answered your concern's Charles. If not Please let me know and if I don't know the answer I know there are people in this forum that will help.

Alice

Posted on May 17, 2009 8:08:37 AM PDT
I strongly believe in this boycott, but buying a kindle to save money on books, is just looking at life backwards. Get the Kindle to READ BOOKS ON THE KINDLE!! That's what it's for, NOT to save money.

Join us in writing authors. I believe that this price war will resolve itself in lower prices over more months, but we need to keep doing our part.

But the IKindle is NOT a money saving device, it's a reading device.

Posted on May 17, 2009 10:05:33 AM PDT
Diana says:
I have never clicked on this message because to be honest, this was never a promised item and it doesn't bother me. My thoughts are this, why are all the boycotters posting here? This is a customer forum. There are over 2,400 posts in this thread, seems to me 2,400 complaints filed with Amazon's customer support would have more of an impact than complaining to yourselves on a thread that is in a customer area--where it is not going to affect Amazon at all. Redirect your energies!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 10:13:37 AM PDT
Lynne J. says:
Someone asked me the other day about my Kindle. One of their friends had purchased one and they were curious. I had to tell them that they weren't going to save much money on purchasing books. I asked which one they had bought, and it sounded like the newest version. She was shocked when I told her the price. Things have changed since I got mine a year ago. But then a lot of things have changed in the economy in the past year.
You're right the Kindle is a reading device. It allows me to download books I'd never buy in paper form. I like the convenience, and surprisingly enough I have found some books that I enjoy that are reasonable in price. I don't pay $9.99 very often. I have 3 best sellers waiting for me at the library that are priced at over $10. I refuse to pay that, but then I never did buy best sellers when they came out in hardback. I always waited for the paperback. I also like having a lot of books in one place and not having to search the bookcase and boxes to try to find a book I want to reread.

Posted on May 17, 2009 10:19:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2009 10:19:50 AM PDT
And, why can't we have both: save money by purchasing a Kindle and send a message to the powers that be we are serious about saving money?

Let's face it, a digital download is so much more cost effective than printing a book and all the costs involved with that process. Sure, this is a customer forum, and we are being outspoken customers. I see an affect on the pricing structure occuring directly because of this effort. With over 2000 posts on this topic, we're letting Amazon and the publisher/authors know how we feel.

So again, buy a Kindle to read books and save money by reading on a Kindle. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. March on customers, keep this forum alive.

Posted on May 17, 2009 11:53:35 AM PDT
SS42k says:
Per the NY Times, Amazon subsidizes new releases at the $9.99 price: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/weekinreview/17rich.html

Posted on May 17, 2009 12:09:08 PM PDT
J. V. Thomas says:
$9.99 seems like way too much to pay for an e-book novel that is already out in paperback format. The pricing model should be based on the amount of time the book has been available for consumers to read and allow authors and others who continue to be involved in the book's release to earn at least as much as they do under the current pricing model. But this model, in its purest form, will have to wait until the paper format is all but dead because, while the formats are competing, e-book sales are driving up (and being forced to pay for some of) the unit costs of the paper formats.

What publishers and authors have to fear is digital piracy and I'm sure that's what they're thinking as they read this blog. Mass public indignation will result in rampant cheating and seeing e-books priced higher than (or even the same price as) their paperback format is going to cause A LOT of indignation. After all, we didn't pay hundreds of dollars for electronic book readers for the privilege of paying more for the digital books - quite the contrary.

When piracy is common and books sales of all formats is plummeting, the pundits will be out laying the blame and what we'll hear is that the book industry went down the road of the music and movie industry. It's hard to tell what role Amazon.com is playing but, clearly, Amazon.com does not have the most to lose.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 1:53:22 PM PDT
James V. Thomas,
First of all Welcome to this forum.

Thank You for sharing your opinion here. EXCELLENT post.
You have hit the nail on the head in so many area's.

We also have addressed the piracy issue. Scary but probable.

Again James Thank You for understanding what this forum is all about and expressing your intelligent knowledge of what is going on and what could happen with e-books.

Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 2:03:44 PM PDT
LASoundCrafter,
Thanks for coming here and posting your opinions. I thoroughly agree with you LA.

Great post & Welcome.

Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 2:05:45 PM PDT
Hi Lynne,
Glad to see you posting here again. We need you here to share your input. :-)

Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 3:18:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2009 3:22:45 PM PDT
Diana,
We Welcome all opinions-good-bad or indifferent. I am not quite sure why you dropped in here- oops wait a minute, I will be right back ,phew I thought I was in the wrong place for a second- I scrolled to the top of this page and found the following title's
"Kindle Community" "Discussions" and last but not least
"Boycott anything over $9.99 "
which tells me I should be here.
I mean no disrespect in any way Diana-
You state "I have never clicked on this message because to be honest, this was never a promised item and it doesn't bother me."
You are absolutely correct Diana,no e-book was ever promised to be $9.99,unless it was on Ny's Bestsellers. I have no qualms about you not being bothered about what you pay for e-books or anything else you want to purchase. That is a decision we as individuals decide for ourself. On the other hand it tells me you have not 1 clue what this forum is about. I practice at educating myself before I enter any discussion forum and give an opinion. I wonder if you have taken the time and effort to read over the 2497 views in this forum, for the following reasons- you ask "why are all the boycotters posting here? " It is a "Boycott anything over $9.99-with Discussions within The Kindle Community" . That is the only answer I can give. Then you state
"This is a customer forum. Are we not customers?
Then you state "There are over 2,400 posts in this thread, seems to me 2,400 complaints filed with Amazon's customer support would have more of an impact than complaining to yourselves on a thread that is in a customer area" 1st Diana ,what makes you think that Amazon isn't aware of what our concern's are here? 2nd,you say
"why are we complaining to yourselves on a thread that is in a customer area"-Please explain to me how we are complaining to ourselves? 3rd. Please explain to me what you mean when you say we are complaining in a customer area--where it is not going to affect Amazon at all" I am totally lost Diana.
Then you say "Redirect your energies! " ??????
Again Diana Please don't read any negativity in my post to you as I don't understand what your post is trying to tell us.
Hopefully you will return here and communicate with us. I am sure other fellow boycotters will be more than Happy to address your posts.
Happy Reading to you Diana !!!!

Alice

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2009 4:35:43 PM PDT
SS42k,
Welcome and Thank You for posting this article here. Very interesting.Someting has to happen sooner or later.
If you come across any more informative news -good or bad- Please share them all with us.
Thanks again SS42k.
Alice

Posted on May 17, 2009 4:44:12 PM PDT
Hey dirtymc,
Love your quotes but if you have time Please jump back in here and respond to some of the posts. With all your knowledge your input is sooo needed here. Miss having you here Bro. you are needed . ;>)
Can't wait to see Knipfty's data in the morning- will be interesting for sure.
Here is a post from SS42k to check out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/weekinreview/17rich.html

Alice
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 6 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
amazon Echo 1536 1 minute ago
Kindle Paperwhite 5 payment option disappeared. It was there two hours ago. What happened? 3 1 minute ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 9591 1 minute ago
Voyage light?? 21 2 minutes ago
Anyone know how to take off back of Kindle HDX 3rd Gen to replace battery? 3 3 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 781 3 minutes ago
Kindle FreeTime will not let me add Harry Potter books. 8 7 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 6622 11 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 5064 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  1291
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jan 2, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 46 customers

Search Customer Discussions