Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire Expanded

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 129 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2012 6:35:31 AM PDT
While reading my kindle fire in bed last night, I heard two pops and felt it jolt and jerk. It scared me half to death. It expanded. It is still working, but the side is open and you can see inside of it. I have only had this for two months, and it has never been dropped, wet or left in my car. Has anyone else experienced this? I know there is a 12 month warranty, and I bought the protection plan from Best Buy, so I will be taking it back today.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 6:37:45 AM PDT
PJ says:
Sounds pretty scary to me and Ive never heard of that before. Yep, take that sucker back and get another one. Too bad those things happen sometimes.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 6:39:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 6, 2012 3:22:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 6:42:31 AM PDT
T. Cook says:
Was the Kindle located on a pillow? Overheating sometimes causes batteries to expand/explode in Apple devices, so if the Kindle Fire overheats, maybe the same problem can occur?
Definitely return it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 7:10:12 AM PDT
NG says:
Looks like you bought the Harry Potter series and that is Valdemort trying to get out. Immediately delete all Harry Potter books.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 7:13:58 AM PDT
Honestly it sounds like a battery failure. You should get in touch with Kindle CS right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:18:41 AM PDT
No, it was in my hands. I had only been reading for about 1 hour when it happened, so no, it should not have overheated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 8:41:04 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
I would contact Amazon CS both so they can replace your device and so they are aware of the situation.
It will be much easier than going to Best Buy.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:51:19 AM PDT
LadyH95 says:
I would second (or is it third) the suggestion to contact Amazon Kindle CS first.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 9:36:34 AM PDT
Kindle customer support is absolutely worthless. They informed me it would cost me $100 to replace a defective device that I have only owned for 2 months. That is absolutely insane.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 9:44:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 9:47:41 AM PDT
That is the usual response for a user broken screen. You should call back, make sure you're calling Kindle CS.

There have been other reports on the forums of other batteries "exploding."

Adding...since you paid your money for a warranty from Best Buy, why not make use of that warranty?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 9:53:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2012 9:55:13 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Call back and ask to speak with a supervisor

ETA - make sure you respond to the email they always send with a resounding NO. That bumps it up the chain.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 9:54:36 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
If there truly are exploding batteries not caused by overheating on a pillow or some such, I would think Amazon would like to keep track of such occurrences.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 11:31:37 AM PDT
I did request to speak to a supervisor, which finally got her attention. They are replacing my device under the factory warranty, but it took a long time on the phone to get through to them that this was a defective device, not a user error. After I got off the phone with them, I also called Best Buy and alerted them of the issue I was having, and they told me that there have been several issues like mine that they have heard of, so this is not a new problem. My issue was not whether it was going to be replaced or not, because I knew I had the protection plan from Best Buy, but I felt people needed to be aware of the customer service at Amazon. I love my Kindle, but I'm not so sure I could recommend one to anyone if that is the way Amazon is going to be when there are problems. But, they did finally make it right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 11:33:57 AM PDT
 nospin  says:
Thank you for reporting back.

I am sorry you had an unpleasant experience and can see how it would leave a bad taste given what happened. I had not heard of the battery issue before without some sort of heat element involved.

Hope there are no issues with your next one.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 12:03:43 PM PDT
T. Scott says:
I have a kindle 2 and a Fire. The Kindle 2 was replaced 4 times without any hassle by customer service---I believe they misunderstood you the first time or you spoke to Amazon CS and not Kindle CS. I Have found Kindle CS exemplary and am sorry about your experience. Amazon ought to research the exploding battery issue because its coming up more frequently on this forum---there might need to be a recall.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:22:58 PM PDT
R. Long says:
Would a bumper cause my kindle fire to over heat?

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 1:12:30 AM PDT
rhss33 says:
Samething happened to me. I was thinking my humidifier might have had something to do with it

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 5:57:08 AM PDT
I was watching a movie and fell asleep and my Kindle Fire was still on and lit the next morning and it was extremely warm. This frightened me enough that I will no longer use it in bed.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 2:43:00 PM PDT
ARC says:
Mine JUST did that today! I am glad I'm not the only one. Will be contacting Amazon tomorrow. I assume this is covered. Yikes! Otherwise I LOVE my Kindle. Mine wasn't on, plugged in or anything. CrazZy!!

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 5:57:58 PM PDT
that happened to mine last night. I called Amazon CS today and I was on the phone with them for 35 minutes but I will have my new fire next week. It scared me too...and my fire still works also but it has continued to expand. What started on just one side is now three sides wide...scary stuff I am just glad it didnt actually EXPLODE

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 12:06:57 PM PDT
Jan says:
This morning, the case of my wife's Fire popped open (Right side, about 1/3 rd from the top of the device) and the screen detached from the device on that side as well. Seemed as something inside the Kindle Fire is growing and wants to get out. Called CS; a replacement is on the way.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 5:25:46 AM PDT
A. Cavanaugh says:
Mine just did this as well! I was looking at the weather radar since it was quite stormy and was about to ask my husband if the screen looked bowed to him when the screen popped up/off by about 1/8"! I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this happen, and I'm glad I have an idea what's going on. It was killing me not being able to tear the thing open and figure out why it looked like an alien was trying to get out!

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 5:46:05 AM PDT
Kindle CS ROCKS!!! Discovered my 2 month old Fire had popped open last night... freaked me out. Found this thread, call Kindle CS this morning and my replacement Fire will be here in 2 days... no questions asked. So nice to find a company that knows how to do business to keep their customers happy. :)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 7:52:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 26, 2013 9:09:54 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  80
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2012
Latest post:  25 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions