Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Removing Lockscreen Ads Kindle Fire HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2012 5:59:31 PM PDT
relay says:
Try as I might I'm unable to find where I need to go to pay my $15 to have the irritating ads removed from my new KFHD. Can anyone please provide a link? Thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 6:00:34 PM PDT
Go to http://www.amazon.com/myk and look for it there.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 6:05:06 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 6:06:43 PM PDT
As John said go to http://amazon.com/myk and look under manage my devices.
On your list of devices there is column showing special offers . Next to the Fire HD there is a little blue subscribe. Click it and your account will be charged.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 6:07:45 PM PDT
She did try and asked nicely

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 6:16:49 PM PDT
relay says:
Thanks for the help! Worked a charm. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:37:21 AM PST
Catherine says:
why in the world should we have to pay to NOT receive irritating ads as HD wallpaper?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:04:38 AM PST
Because the Kindle's with Special Offers (not ads - if you think you will get rid of ads, you are very wrong - you can only get rid of Special Offers) are at a reduced priced, so if you do not want the Special Offers, you pay what the Kindle would cost without the Special Offers.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 7:09:36 AM PST
Just watched my wife open her Christmas present a KFHD and now listening to her complain about ads... This my be getting returned and instead an iPad mini... So stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 7:49:32 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
It's your money. If you think it's not worth $15 to remove the single ad on the lock screen and would prefer to pay $100+ more for an iPad mini, go for it. Otherwise, return the $15 subsidy you received from advertisers when you purchased the device. When you pick up your newspaper, a magazine, watch commercial tv and listen to commercial radio you may wish you had that option.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 8:04:15 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
As jsh1120 says, you only have to look at the ad on the lock screen for the one or two seconds it takes to swipe the lock icon. Really not that bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:24:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 12:31:12 PM PST
Kevin says:
It's crap advertising at it's best. I would rather they give me the $214 price tag with the option "We will bug the crap out of you with advertisements for $15 less, if you check this box". I'm with iPhone junky on this one. It's bad enough the free apps have ads, now my kids get it when they turn on their device. I struggled with the decision between the iPad Mini and the Kindle Fire HD for a long time. I just couldn't see giving the kids a $330 device. After a couple days with the Ads and the goofy non-friendly user interface, I should have gone Mini.... Crud

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 7:33:28 PM PST
glitter says:
I think it is ludicrous that we spend nearly 300.00 dollars on this device and are asked to spend an additional 15 dollars more to remove these dam add's. Not to mention we have to spend 20.00 more for a charger.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:56:08 PM PST
Rivergirl says:
I did not pay extra to delete ads. However, I never get any. There is one on the screen that I ignore, just to unlock......but never anymore. Not a big deal to me.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:04:41 PM PST
Hammer says:
Not liking this advertising and the fee to remove it - for people who received their Kindles as gifts to have to cough up the $15 takes away from the thoughtfulness and generosity of the gift-giver. I'm pretty sure that when my kids received their Kindles from their grandma, that she wasn't even aware that what she thought was a SALE price was actually a gimick...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:42:38 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
I think your kids should return their Kindles to grandma, and tell her that looking at the lockscreen ad for two seconds on startup is simply unbearable.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:43:02 AM PST
First world problems

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:44:36 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
+1000

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:56:30 PM PST
kinda like starting your car, but cant put it in gear till they advertise cigars... or getting a hemorroid ad before you can start the coffee pot. adds to the revenue stream, but not useful. just disappointed this isn't a real tablet, just marketing

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:47:02 AM PST
Sofie :) says:
if you want to pay to get rid of the special offers , you can, it' s only $15 ; however, you only have to see it for 1 second on the lock screen so does it really make a big difference to your life?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 6:42:34 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
No. It's more like picking up a newspaper or magazine and encountering ads. The difference is that there is only one ad on a page you look at for a split second and Amazon gives you the option to eliminate even that ad.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:33:58 AM PST
1thofa87 says:
As I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't mind the ads if they were better targeted. If it were ads for things that I buy and read about, it would make better sense. That way it would at least be beneficial to me in that I could get deals on items that I want to buy instead of everything else. I don't mind paying to get rid of them but my question is, as you use the device more, are the ads better targeted? If so, I'd actually want to keep them. For those of you who've had your kindles for a while, do the ads get any better regarding things that you woudl atually like to buy?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 12:04:17 PM PST
so if you pay the 15 it gets rid of the ads on the start up screen?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:14:04 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Samantha,

That is correct. Eliminating the "Customers Also Bought" strip that appears in portrait mode beneath the Carousel can be removed by "Settings>More>Applications>;Amazon>Home Recommendations>Hide." This is independent of the lock screen ad and can be eliminated at no charge.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:45:05 AM PST
Ewa Ploska says:
i have just wrote to the customers service asking how can i switch off the adverts on the lock screen and after a 15 minutes got notification on my fire hd that offers had been removed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions