Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Display Problem - 2 Inch Wide Strip of Screen is Lighter in Coloration

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 3:58:31 AM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
Just got my HD 8.9 today and I have been noticing an approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inch band that extends from the top of the screen to the bottom when the Fire is held in the landscape orientation where the screen is lighter in color than it should be.

For example, if I am on the Carousel, the band is a lighter grey while the rest of the screen background is black. This is also occurring when I try watching an instant video. That approximate 2 inch band is a slightly lighter color. Although sometimes it can't be seen due to the colors in a movie, every so often you see the line which marks where the band of slightly different coloration occurs.

It's visible on all the menus, but not in apps or when reading a book.
Has anyone else noticed something like this? Battery is fully charged and I tried doing a hard reset but nothing changed.

Sound like a defective unit?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:00:51 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
Yes, it sounds defective.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:44:33 PM PST
Daniel Human says:
After having my 8.9 Fire for a few days, the same 2-inch band appeared on my screen today. I've restarted the tablet a couple of times, but it is still there. I am guessing it is defective.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:27:21 PM PST
Ellen Ripley says:
I called Amazon Kindle Customer Support and they sent me a new one. Much better. The screen background of the new one is evenly black. My problem with the 2 inch band was there from day one on the device. I've been so busy that I haven't had much time to really be using it this past month. Now you're making me think I better run some stuff on it to make sure this issue doesn't occur after a few days like it did with yours.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 12:31:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 11:31:22 PM PST
Mark Gillis says:
I just received my HD 8.9 yesterday and do not notice any banding (yet), however, I do notice a slight shadow effect when viewing text with a white background; it's on the bottom of the screen (in landscape mode with the camera on top), and it's very light. Has anyone else noticed this with their Kindle HDs? Some people wouldn't be bothered by it, but I find my eyes focusing on that spot and it's annoying me.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 9:25:31 AM PST
Had 2 now. Both with same issue but in corners!

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 10:42:29 AM PST
Mark Gillis says:
Well, the first Kindle went back and now I see it's replacement also has a non-uniformly lit screen, much like the first one, except the shadowed area is in a different spot. Also, there is a tiny grey (bad?) pixel that is viewable when I have a white background when reading. It's annoying because I only use the device for reading, not for watching movies or much of anything else. C'mon Amazon, these would almost be perfect if you just fixed your screens! Oh, and give us more background/text color options as well. :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 15 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 15 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 378 20 minutes ago
Kindle register 4 41 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 4334 44 minutes ago
Paperwhite Freezing and "Application Error"? 15 50 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 4444 55 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 169 58 minutes ago
Locked out of my Kindle cause of Free Time Child 29 1 hour ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 2285 1 hour ago
Battery life 13 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions