Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Paperwhite only connects to WiFi if network is unsecured

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 5:59:28 AM PST
hi i've just received a Kindle PW and have found that it won't connect to my home WiFi network whilst the WPA2 security password is applied. As soon as I remove the password and make the network open for everyone the problem goes away. Reading through the forum I see some other complaints about the PW connecting to WiFi, but not this specific issue. Any ideas about a fix for this?
Thanks

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:08:55 AM PST
I am using WPA2 and my paperwhite has no problem connecting. My guess is either the password entered into the kindle is somehow not correct or there is something wrong with your kindle. Try having your kindle forget your network and then reconnect.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:10:43 AM PST
Mary McManus says:
That is really strange. I have the same type of security password and never had a problem connecting the Paperwhite or other Kindles to the wi-fi network. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme and it has always worked for everything-Windows, Mac, Kindles.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:26:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:27:26 AM PST
T. Cook says:
I seem to remember some people mentioning their router's password couldn't contain certain special characters when used with a Kindle. As with all wireless password support calls I took (non-Amazon), when the password won't be accepted, but you verify that the router will connect without a password, start with using a simple password, I liked "1111155555" and then, if that's successful, try a harder password. Some people just couldn't seem to type in their 10 digit phone number accurately (usually an easily remembered, while more difficult, password)...

You can use a wireless security on your router with password other than with WPA2 if you still want to (and definitely should) have a password on your wireless network.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:27:37 AM PST
Length of password could be an issue. Recently, I was unable to connect my Thrive or my iPhone to my sister-in-law's home network. Their password was only 5 characters long, and neither device could use it.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:25:52 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
For what it's worth, my Airport Extreme is using an 8 character password with letters and numbers, no symbols, and have never had a problem. That is interesting about the symbols, so glad I didn't use them.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:15:14 PM PST
I have a replacement Kindle PW, the first was defective, and it will not connect to my home Belkin54g router wifi signal no matter what password I use. My daughter has a earlier Kindle and can connect readily in my home. I am about ready to give up on Kindle.
Len Klein

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 1:32:56 PM PST
Reset the router by unplugging it for a minute or so. After it's plugged back in, wait for all the lights to stop flashing. Then reboot the Kindle by holding the power switch for 30 seconds. Release the power switch then don't touch the Kindle again until it's back up completely. Then try to connect again. If it still doesn't connect and stay connected, contact Kindle customer service.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 10:02:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2013 10:12:26 PM PST
I have the exact same problem. I've tried a couple of different passwords on WPA2; other devices (e.g. macbook, two android phones) reconnected after updating the password, but the kindle paperwhite keeps complaining about the password. I'll try a simpler password and then a different type of encryption I suppose.

Update (SOLVED):
I changed the "security options" on my router from WPA2-AES to WPA-TKIP and then the kindle paperwhite finally connected. Note that it connected using the same password that had failed to connect when using WPA2-AES

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 1:20:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2014 1:21:06 AM PST
I gave up on the Paperwhite not being Able to log into my wifi. I took the first one back, but same problem with the new one. Tried. Restarting the device And my Router, but no way am I messing with my Router settings or passwords, way to many other devices using the router, not worth the trouble, second kindle white is also going back to Target. A rare miss for Amazon, the thing is worthless if you travel At all and have to go through this agony everytime to log on to wifi.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 1:44:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2014 6:16:28 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
mine doesn't use my router password, but rather the security key and i have to make sure I use the proper upper and lower case letters and leave out all the spaces

and travelling is why I got mine with 3G

edit to correct typos

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 5:37:10 AM PST
Thomas, I can't tell what's wrong from your post, but the problem is not the paperwhite; you're doing something wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 5:39:02 AM PST
The "administrator password" is what you use to access settings on the router.
The "security key" is the password to connect to the wifi network.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 6:17:05 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
true, but a lot of people have tried to use the other password to connect

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2014 6:21:31 AM PST
dawnsong says:
Sounds like something is wrong on your end. I've done a lot of travelling since getting the second gen paperwhite 3 months ago. It has connected flawlessly to at least 15 different secure WiFi networks - hotels, rental condos, private residences, even a bar/restaurant. My first gen paperwhite also travelled a lot with no connection problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2014 12:57:21 PM PST
Judy Shipman says:
Thank you so much....it worked!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 7 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
SwagBucks Thread 4136 1 minute ago
amazon Echo 1585 3 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started 2 5422 3 minutes ago
Amazon ruined my Christmas 41 4 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1470 5 minutes ago
fire hd 8.9 problems 44 6 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 5291 6 minutes ago
My book keeps disappearing on Kindle Fire even though I've completely downloaded it. 10 7 minutes ago
Classic Words Solo 255 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions