Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Book Collections Feature on New Kindle Fires - "No". Amazon, please add this. THX.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2012 10:48:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 13, 2012 2:07:22 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 10:52:31 AM PDT
Artist says:
Trying to rally the masses to help with your request? It's not going to help to post on this forum. Send your request to kindle-feedback@amazoncom

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:54:47 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I use my e-ink Kindle for reading. On my tablet I carry very few books. I could care less for collections on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:57:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 13, 2012 2:08:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:57:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 10:57:26 AM PDT
R. Acoya says:
I can't imagine how dreadfully slow a Fire would be with 1,000+ books in its memory.

I much prefer an e-ink Kindle for reading. I find it ever so much more gentle on my eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:00:47 AM PDT
Lori says:
If the fire is slow with 1,000 books (very small files), then I will get an Ipad to enjoy the color backlit books with my kids, as the Kindle App runs just as fast with that many and more books.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:01:09 AM PDT
ALA says:
Well that answers the very question I was wondering too. Too bad. It seems obvious that Amazon would and should add the ability for new Kindle owners to categorize their books into collections. I really do miss that feature from my old Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:04:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 13, 2012 2:09:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:06:21 AM PDT
**Meya** says:
Lori, then perhaps you don't need a Fire after all. It is designed to do all of the things you just said you don't need. You should stick with one of the e-ink models.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:10:18 AM PDT
While I understand how much easier collections make locating books when you are just browsing for the next read.. the Kindle apps (incl the Fire) are much much faster when it comes to browsing through tons of books. There are no pages, it's all just one big page, and you just swipe up and down to move through them. Even with collections on my Kindle basic, I find it much faster to go through my books on both My Fire and iPad.

That said, they have slowly been adding it to their apps. First the PC and then Mac. Hopefully the Android (and Fire) and iOS apps are next.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 11:17:58 AM PDT
TheLadyKT says:
But what doesnt make sense is that you could create folders on the old Kindle touch and Kindle keyboards, but you can't on the Fire or Fire HDs. If you don't know the exact author or book name and/or correct spelling of those, you have to scroll through 50 pages (in my case) of books to find one.

I LOVE my fire except for this one thing. I would consider upgrading but not until this is resolved, or someone creates an app to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 11:21:46 AM PDT
Artist says:
Why doesn't it make sense? e-ink Kindles and the Fires use completely different operating systems, so not all features work on both.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 12:24:53 PM PDT
TheLadyKT says:
Maybe because you don't expect to lose features when you upgrade to a newer, more expensive model

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 12:32:18 PM PDT
flipoid says:
But, Kelly, the Kindle Fire was NOT an "upgrade" from the e-ink Kindles. As Blaiz said, it's a different device (backlit, tablet-type as opposed to e-ink, non-lit) and, as such, has a different operating system. Amazon has not chosen to write the programming necessary to give the Android app (or the app on the Fire) collections capability.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 1:43:11 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Um...is that some kind of ludicrous threat? Amazon, give me what I want or I'll buy an iPad?

I'm sure Amazon will be devastated at the news.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 1:51:19 PM PDT
TheLadyKT says:
I think most people would consider buying a Fire over an eink an upgrade in the sense that it is a better, newer model. When you go from a geo metro to a cadillac or a flip phone to a smart phone, most people would consider that an upgrade.

I understand that it is a different operating system. They may have "chosen" to not have it at this time but unless we ask for it and tell them we want it, they won't know. Nor will an app creator know to make one.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 2:01:17 PM PDT
L. Housley says:
The Kindle Fire is mostly for apps, music and movies, not books. that's how amazon expects most people to use them. they don't see a need for collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 2:03:47 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Who determines that the backlit display is "better" than e-ink, Kelly? Personally, I much prefer reading on my e-ink Kindle; I don't like reading on my Fire. I got the Fire for other things (apps, web surfing, video, etc.) but do very little reading on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 2:11:48 PM PDT
L. Housley says:
I agree, e ink is better for reading. Backlit screens (computer monitor, kindle fires) are really hard on your eyes. I rarely read on my fire or my phone. I prefer to read on my KK and soon will move to my paperwhite!! (i still that that is a horrible name!)

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 3:39:26 PM PDT
I actually really enjoy reading on the kindle fire. I even enjoy reading at night (although I got an app so I can dim it further).

I am just strange, I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 3:40:37 PM PDT
Artist says:
What most uninformed people "think" isn't Amazon's problem. It's like "thinking" that your ibooks should work on your Kindle because they both display books. Educate yourself next time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 3:42:09 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
To me a Fire is not a better, newer model of my Kindle Keyboard. It's a different device. Just like a pickup truck is different than a luxury sedan.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 3:55:11 PM PDT
TheLadyKT says:
@Jeffrey Davis. I love reading on my fire. Grocery store lines, amusement park lines, dr office, Drive in and theaters while waiting for movies to start.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 4:48:49 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Excuse me? Why would I consider it an upgrade? I can't stand reading on a computer screen. I only use e-ink for reading and I use a tablet for everything else. Maybe you are talking about people who don't research what they are buying before hand...

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 4:53:49 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
Look, I get what you are trying to say, that the fire is made for apps and media. But it's not unreasonable that some of us would like to have the ability to make collections on our devices. It is called a KINDLE and kindles are reading devices, therefore we should be able to read books on our kindle devices and have the same abilities (to a point, obviously there are some limitations with two different platforms, screens, etc) as we do on the kindle. The ability to create collections should be an easy fix. It's not going to make me choose not to buy one, but it's a feature that should be added. And I'm not expecting you guys to fix this or anything. I know to contact amazon about this if I want to see it. I am just saying that I can see why people would want/expect this ability.

I don't have tons of books on my device. I do have about 100, and that's not a lot but it can be irritating to search for books of a certain type. For example, I like my cookbooks on my color devices so I can see the recipes and the picture of the food. I do have all my cookbooks on my kindle as I like to cook and when we travel I have all my recipes right there. I would like to create a collection to put my cookbooks in so I can easily find them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions