Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Sharing Prime Membership w/Family, Can't Share Much.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 157 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 1:13:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 1:14:17 PM PST
T. Gray says:
So I ordered my daughter the new Kindle Paperwhite and she's a minor. It will be the first ereader purchased or even used at our household. I am trying to figure out how to make the best choice setting it up for the first time since there are rules and restrictions not faced by physical books. Here's a sample of my dilemma. I don't want to register the Kindle under my account because she won't be able to own the books I buy for her, they would be attached to my account. She could read them but would technically be borrowing them from me. And that's kinda tacky seeing as it is a gift for her........I could register it under her with a new account made and she could purchase books that way with gift cards and the books would be hers so that is a better option.....However, if I puchased Prime membership it says you can share it with your family members in your household BUT the catch is they don't get to use the video streaming OR the Kindle lending library! So basically they could only share the charging of things to access free shipping. That's sad. I was hoping I could let her register her own Kindle and get to use the lending library with a newly purchased Prime membership purchased by me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:15:49 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
You could make her account the main Prime account - at least for now. Then her account could share the shipping benefit with yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:17:26 PM PST
✴Meya✴ says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
The Lending Library only allows for 1 book per calendar month, so it is probably not worth it to have Prime for her account anyway. She can't stream video on the Paperwhite either, and as a minor, she won't be ordering items that need to be delivered. So skip Prime for her account.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:18:33 PM PST
M. Francis says:
(KINDLE FORUM PRO)
Cassie Anne is right. Make her account the Prime member. She gets to use the KOLL. You become a guest on her account. You get the free shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:18:59 PM PST
Prime is first and foremost a shipping program. That part of the program can be shared with other members of your household. Anything to do with the Kindle is just an added little perk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:22:52 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
Meya makes an excellent point. It's only one book per month. IMO, Prime isn't worth it for that one book alone. If you want Prime for the family, and want her Kindle to have access to the KOLL, then you can make her account the main Prime account.

If you don't think you'll use the shipping enough, then Prime might not be right for you. It's certainly not a requirement to have a Kindle.

Your public library is another great source of ebooks.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:23:37 PM PST
T. Gray says:
It's just I was less interested in the shipping(that was more of a bonus to the other things offered), and more interested in sharing the streaming of shows and her using the lending library but still having the Kindle registered to herself but be a part of my Prime membership. I don't want to share access to my account with anyone. Especially a minor when it comes to buying things. However the video streaming and kindle lending library would be good to share. But they are not shareable. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:24:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 1:26:36 PM PST
The Blade says:
>>>>"Prime is first and foremost a shipping program."<<<<

This.

Prime is a shipping program. The video and book portions are just a perk. If you can't benefit from the shipping aspect (remember that Prime came about in 2005, long before a Kindle even existed) then the program is not likely a good buy for you. If you think the program is about the videos and the books, then you don't understand Prime and should probably look into it before you sign up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:26:37 PM PST
T. Gray says:
Ya'll are right. Thanks for the input. Still sucks though. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:26:53 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
She can't stream on the Paperwhite - any streaming would have to be done through another device. That other device could be registered to your daughter's account.

Prime is really all about the shipping. The streaming and KOLL are perks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:27:09 PM PST
The Blade says:
>>>>"It's just I was less interested in the shipping(that was more of a bonus to the other things offered),"<<<<

You're looking at it all backwards. Prime came long before the books and videos. They were just recent add-ons to an existing program.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:29:58 PM PST
T. Gray, I think you are missing a big point. You cannot stream video to a paperwhite. There is just no way that it can happen. The paperwhite is a ereader and does not play apps not allow video stream. It does not even have a speaker so there is NO sound possible.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:32:02 PM PST
T. Gray says:
It doesn't matter that it was first only a shipping program. They advertise frequently about the other benefits to paying for Prime. They are even launching a pay-as-you-go Prime where you pay $7.99/month for it to compete with Netflix. So if Prime is said to be able to be shared then all of Prime should be able to be shared. Prime is now a bundle of supposed benefits. A package membership. I should be allowed to share them with household.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:33:33 PM PST
T. Gray says:
I know you cannot stream video to the Paperwhite. That would be from another device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:35:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 1:37:01 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How ungrateful!! Amazon is allowing you to share the shipping program with other members of your family no matter where they live in the US at no other expense to you or them. Have you checked out the price of 2 day shipping?? That is coming out of Amazon's pocket especially if the people using it order a lot of things. Shame on Amazon for trying to be nice....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:35:58 PM PST
T. Gray says:
I'm not looking at it backwards. I'm looking at the big picture carefully.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:37:32 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
>>>I should be allowed to share them with household.

You can. Provided those devices are registered to the paid Prime account. Whether that paid Prime account is your account or your daughter's.

Streaming video will do your daughter no good. The Paperwhite is a grey-scale e-reader. It's not a tablet.

If you want to maintain control of the Prime account, you can register your daughter's Kindle to your account temporarily - just while she reads the borrowed book. Then register it back to her account when she's finished.

And remember, you'll only be able to borrow ONE book per month. It's not an all-you-can-read program.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:37:39 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Your thinking is backwards is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:38:15 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
+1

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:39:03 PM PST
T. Gray says:
Ungrateful? How dramatic. I don't even need the shipping. I'm looking at the whole package and its statement of sharing benefits. I'm not asking for the membership for free. Would what I'm asking cost Amazon dramatically more?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:41:06 PM PST
Cassie Anne says:
This is the way Amazon has the program structured. It's first and foremost a shipping program, whether you believe that or not.

It sounds like it might not be the right program for you. But you're the only one who can decide that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:41:23 PM PST
King Al says:
Since Amazon is reportedly already losing money on Prime, Amazon may not offer any new features that cost them more money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:41:29 PM PST
No more than you paying for 2 prime memberships - one for you and one for your daughter. So pay for 2 memberships and accept what is being offered as it is being offered.

You can't go into WalMart and say that you don't like what's on sale this week and want them to put something else on sale just for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:42:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 1:42:36 PM PST
T. Gray says:
Cassie, I know you cannot stream video on the Paperwhite. We have computers and cellphones for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:42:50 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
For one thing Amazon pays for every book that is borrowed to the authors or publishers. So instead of one book a month they would have to pay for each person sharing in the Prime account.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x994791ec)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  157
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions