Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

RAOK #49 The Thankful Room

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 10000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 8:23:29 AM PST
GnomeEd says:
We are very thankful to have the RAOK room!

<sets out Smoked Turkey>
<sets out Habenero Ribs>
<sets out Crab Salad>
<sets out Rum & Egg Nog>
<decks the halls>

Now for the requisite warnings and tips:

To quote our founder Virgoddess (to remember why this thread was started - over 1 year ago): "The point of this thread is to spread the word. What "we" do is click on a username of a poster (any poster in the forum) and scroll to the bottom, find their wish list. If you click on a book *in* their wish list, you can send it to them - without exposing your email address to them, or theirs to you.

To participate, you don't have to do a thing (except make sure your wish list is public!). You are under no obligation to buy anyone anything. If you'd like to thank the person that sent you a gift (which is very much appreciated), you can post here. Please be sure to link to the book you received; all our wish lists have grown from seeing what others are reading. You can just join in our chit chat, too. The point is to be positive, and hopefully bring a smile to someone's face. This isn't about repaying, or anything like that. It's about giving - a shoulder, a book, a smile.

SOME TIPS: To send a book, simply click on the username here in the forum of the person you want to gift to. Scroll down, and you will hopefully see their wish list. Click on "see all x items" to pull up their entire list (do NOT click a book jacket from their profile page). You will see a yellow button, under the title saying "give as a gift" and click that. It will take you to the message screen, where you can change the "from" name, and add a note. Their email address will be "hidden" for privacy, but it will be sent to them.

To make your wish list public, pull up the list and there is a quick link on the upper right of every page, titled "Wish List" directly under the "Your Account" link. Click that. It will take you to your wish list. Directly under the title of your wish list, you will see a drop down menu, titled "Manage this list". Click that, and in the drop down, click "Change Privacy Settings" and make sure it says "Make list public".

SAFETY TIPS and INFORMATION: Follow the above instructions to get to your wish list. Again, click the "Manage this list" drop down menu. This time, select "Edit Settings" and this will bring you to a screen that shows your privacy settings. The name you see on the Name line is the name that is shown to people you GIFT books to. Simply change it to the name you're comfortable with and save. This will prevent your full name from being displayed on your gifts.

To make your wish list visible from your profile, you have to go into your profile and edit it. You need to change the middle section (wish list and registries) to show everyone. If you have that set to private but your wish list public, others can find your wish list through the search, but not your profile. If you change that wish list setting on your profile to everyone, you'll be good to go. That just makes the list visible from the profile, it doesn't change any other privacy settings you have.

To change your Account Name, you have to go to Your Account in the upper right corner then Change Account Settings and edit your name. This won't affect anything that I can see except what it shows at the top of the page when it says "Hi Cyndie" instead of "Hi Cyndie MyLastName". And all people will see on their Digital Orders that send me any gifts is Cyndie, not Cyndie MyLastName." (this last one is important, since it doesn't change anything in YOUR view, lots of people end up having their real names showing on their WL instead of their screen names. Also, you need to make that change separately for EACH public wish list.) It sounds complicated, but it really isn't, and it's well worth a few minutes' work.

Finally, always remember RAOK's don't have to be books. They can be anything you do here or off the forum in your actual lives to do something nice for someone. No one is "keeping score" either. If someone does something nice for you, just find a way to pass it on.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:25:03 AM PST
Denise says:
Thank you, GnomEd. Nice job!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:27:34 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Thank you GnomED!!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:27:41 AM PST
<pops last of the peanut M&Ms in her mouth>

Oh, there's more food out here! Yum!

Thanks, Ed! Nice job on the apps and the decor! <plops into the comfyest chair closest to the fire, with plenty of cat-snuggling room on the sides, carefully balancing a plate loaded with Ed's apps>

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:28:33 AM PST
Waves frantically at room. <3<3<3

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:06:48 AM PST
Thank you Ed. Hey! Is anyone else here?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:07:25 AM PST
*starts whistling and filing her nails waiting for the others to catch up*

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:07:37 AM PST
Jamie P. says:
hahaha... Beemer, did you see the last post?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:07:52 AM PST
MB says:
found you!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:08:09 AM PST
Jamie P. says:
Thanks for opening the new room Ed. I've never had habanero ribs for Thanksgiving before!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:08:22 AM PST
Well why else do you think I got the heck out of there? Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:08:27 AM PST
Denise says:
Hey, seed wanted some of those!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:08:37 AM PST
I must've just missed the closing! I got caught up, then hopped over here, and Beemer is just filing her nails...

<grabs bottle of lime-green nail polish>
Want me to give you a manicure when you're done???

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:08:42 AM PST
Reading Mom says:
yay, pee pants closed out the last room. Nice job on he new one Ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:09:31 AM PST
Yes please. *holds out hands*

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:10:51 AM PST
I just got back from lunch, and was reading quickly through the last couple pages of the old room... I saw RM comment that she just uploads her books into Calibre, then Pee Girl responded that I was going to yell at her; THEN I saw a comment from RM in response to one of my posts saying 'oh, goody! That's always fun!" and I thought she meant it was always fun to be yelled at by me????

Some people have strange tastes... Although Kathy must like being yelled at by me, because she misbehaves often enough!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:11:18 AM PST
Jamie P. says:
[OPI] NL S72 ROMEO & JOLIET 0.5oz

Had my nails done this color last night

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:11:46 AM PST
<carefully paints every other finger on Beemer's hands lime green, with the in-between ones being bright orange>

Be-yoo-tee-ful! Perfect for the season!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:12:54 AM PST
Jamie P. says:
We do appear to be a strange bunch without context

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:13:22 AM PST
I forgot to read the name of the color I had mine done in last week. The names are the best part! I practically pick the color based on name, not the *color*.

Mine are a very bright, but peachy, orange with shimmers. Much prettier than I just made it sound...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:15:03 AM PST
Jamie P. says:
I do too! I love the names :)
I started using the gel polish before we went on vacation and the mani lasts 3-4 weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:18:01 AM PST
Yep, I love the gel. I get the gel nails, and around here they use a topcoat of gel as well, so the polish is literally encapsulated in the gel and it practically indestructible. I get mine done every 2 weeks because my nails grow pretty quickly, and they start to look shabby and grown-out by that time. I could probably go a little longer, but I picked a schedule, and want to stick to it for convenience's sake.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:18:04 AM PST
melly says:
Also with context

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:18:19 AM PST
Ooh lala! That's pretty! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:18:46 AM PST
I think we *are* a strange bunch, context or no...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
82 21 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
International markups 29 3 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Sunday 13th July, 2014 14 3 minutes ago
Access Lending library with prime when using ipad kindle reader 136 4 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 3363 5 minutes ago
Kindle PaperWhite 3 5 7 minutes ago
How do I order 2 9 minutes ago
July 2014 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 115 10 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 1427 12 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9266 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions