Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle price different with a EU account

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 6:14:22 AM PST
Marc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:18:22 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Marc, avoid being "ripped off" by returning your Kindle and buying something else. Good luck with content availability in Europe!

Have you compared prices of, say, cameras on two shores of the Pond? The rule of thumb is "as many dollars there, that many Euros here". Tough luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:19:00 AM PST
MikeJW says:
There is not a thing in the world that we can do about it... we're just customers like you. You got a beef with Amazon? Well, you need to let Amazon know, not us!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:19:38 AM PST
Prices vary from country to country. It has nothing to do with having 3G or not having 3G. (Congrats, btw. I've never seen that used as some kind of explanation for pricing.)

Some publishers settled with the DOJ. Some are still defending themselves. Random House wasn't a party to the suit in the first place.

Link to the book in question, please.

Some advice: Don't buy books you think are too expensive. It's just that simple. Then you won't feel ripped off.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:25:10 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Other posters in Europe report often paying lower prices for books than we do in the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:26:00 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
Your friend is seeing a price without VAT added in - and he may very well pay taxes after the fact

Btw, I have three Kindles with 3G (Kindle 2, Paperwhite and Touch) and 2 with wifi (Basic and a Kindle Fire HD) and I see the exact same prices on all of them for the same book

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:26:13 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
International cellular data roaming charges were often used as an explanation for general $2 surcharge on books sold internationally (with additional 15% paid in some countries attributed to VAT). Amazon never offered that explanation, though - it was a conjecture by us customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:26:50 AM PST
And books are ridiculously expensive in Australia.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:28:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:36:36 AM PST
Yes, but I took the OP to mean his friend in Europe with a 3G Kindle pays less for ebooks because he bought a more expensive Kindle.

Edited to add words.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:30:08 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Please tell us the book you are looking at.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:31:11 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Ah, yes, I didn't read carefully enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:35:30 AM PST
The OP is very confusing and hard to follow.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:36:06 AM PST
Kribu says:
I'm pretty sure the OP means what Dragi said. I'm assuming the OP is in a EU country that gets the $2 surcharge added to book prices, which in general means that the majority of books cost $3 or so more than the same titles cost for Americans (and $4-6 more than the same titles cost for the French or Germans), and which very often means the Kindle version costs more than an already-released paperback.

Unfortunately it is what it is. If the OP has a Fire, it might be worth looking into ePub-capable book reading apps and buying books from other shops - I routinely do that whenever I find the book costs too much on Amazon. On the other hand, Amazon offers a better selection than the ePub shops that sell ebooks internationally, and the convenience of ebooks is worth the occasional extra cost for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:40:15 AM PST
You're right - the OP is in Europe. OP's friend is in the US. I had that backwards. I can read and comprehend English. Really. :-/

*wanders off for more caffeine*

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:22 AM PST
Marc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:48:58 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
You aren't letting Amazon know anything by posting on this forum. We are customers.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:02:57 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
It still doesn't make a different whether the kindle is 3G or wifi - All free books used to cost $3.44 since I was living in France (that's changed after the Kindle Store opened on amazon.fr), but even before that the 3G and wifi costs for the books were the same

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:11:41 AM PST
MikeJW says:
Like I said before, if you are unhappy about Amazon's pricing, complain to Amazon. Here, it is just a whine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:15:07 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
"the 3G pricing scheme is documented as a surcharge for European accounts"

As I said, not by Amazon - it was guesswork by customers and journalists.

"[,,,] who say it's tax, it's not. Prices on paperbacks don't differ depending on your account origin."

That's because, for physical items, you will pay your taxes, duties, fees and excises, if applicable, when the shipment enters the country.

"if you're going to try to differentiate just based on origin"

Location, not origin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:16:45 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
Dragi - do you pay the surcharge?

and is it itemized on your receipt like the OP seems to indicate it is?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:21:52 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
It used to be reliable $2 precisely (no VAT on books in any format here yet), but now it is zero for freebies, $2 for most books, and sometimes some other sum. It is not itemized separately - Amazon simply considers it the book price in Croatia.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:26:38 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
glad to know you're getting the freebies as freebies - and I really prefer knowing the books price or any price up front (I'm totally spoiled and will hate to have to go back to calculating sales tax in the US)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:28:28 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Yes, freebies are freebies, and I already have lifetime supply :o)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:35:06 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I've steered clear of most of those - now if only amazon.fr would stop having those excellent Offre Éclair (today's is Grapes of Wrath for $1.80 USD) I might catch up
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
RAOK, welcome to the wonderful world of RAOK 6511 3 minutes ago
Mass delte email on Kindle Fire HD help 49 5 minutes ago
Wallpaper 5 15 minutes ago
Why should I have to pay to NOT be bombarded with "buy me" lock screens? 14 17 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 5891 20 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 8505 23 minutes ago
Needed. Ability to sync sample ebook to the purchased ebook. 4 26 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 9386 35 minutes ago
multiple kindle devices 28 35 minutes ago
Ten Rules for Avoiding The Self Published Slush Pile 93 37 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 4793 46 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions