Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Unavailability of Amazon Products in Australia

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 10:26:35 PM PST
It is of concern that Amazon precludes Australia from the purchase of the Kindle Fire and Various movies for rent or repurchase.
This is not the case for Ipad and I Tunes. There are no tax or import restrictions that I am aware of.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:59:17 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:56:45 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:06:01 PM PST
JJulieJ says:
Others have found that is isn't worth getting the Kindle Fire in Australia since much of the content is not available here. Movies, like books, are subject to regional rights.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:13:52 PM PST
Loz says:
There plenty of other tablets available to Australia that you can purchase immediately for the same, or a better price than the Fire. With none of the restrictions having the Fire might entail.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:15:37 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:56:46 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:22:48 PM PST
Loz says:
I've been looking at that one myself actually...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:27:36 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:56:46 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:57:34 PM PST
Loz says:
So you have the Fire? Any good?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:12:33 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:56:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:53:29 AM PST
Loz says:
Cool. I wouldn't use a tablet for reading anyway - I also prefer my e-ink. Might have to have a look around for some deals in the next few months...

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 3:48:32 AM PST
Pushka says:
The USA iTunes store is different from the Australian one. Another one who likes the nexus 7 too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:05:46 PM PST
That's point I do not want another tablet, I already have a Kindle and I want to upgrade.

Its not about Price its about delivery.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:11:49 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:09 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:18:35 PM PST
The Kindle Fire isn't really an "upgrade" to an e-ink Kindle. It's a tablet with customized access to Amazon content. The reason it's not available to Australia is you would not be able to access anything (from Amazon) except for books.

If you want a similar experience to a Fire, a Nexus 7 is a good recommendation. You can read your Kindle books with the Kindle for Android App and you have no restrictions on customizing the device or where you download your content from.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:24:12 PM PST
Loz says:
The Fire isn't an "upgrade" as it is a tablet. For an upgrade, you'd be wanting the Paperwhite kindle, which isn't available here yet anyway...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:25:01 PM PST
Loz says:
It's not the matter of waiting a couple of months for new tech, it's a money issue for me. In the fact that I don't have any at the moment! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:09:52 AM PST
Is that the same reason why I am not able to download Movies ( rent or Buy) unless I have an US credit card?
I am happy wih my current Kindle for books but I am curtailing my periodical subscriptions for newwspapers/ journals etc as other media provide much better formats.
I do not know if the Nexus is available in Australia as Google also treats Australia as a bit of a backwater as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:21:38 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:57:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:34:28 AM PST
Alina says:
It's a matter of distribution rights. Australian businesses pay a lot of money to get exclusive distribution rights to tv shows, movies, etc. That's why Australians can't access a lot of online content that's accessible to Americans. For example I can't access from an Australian ISP latest episodes of the tv show The Walking Dead even though it's been broadcast in the States due to the fact that Foxtel have distribution rights to air it in Australia on Tuesday. A lot of tv shows are like that, e.g. South Park. Similarly to not being able to buy DVDs in Australia of movies that haven't yet been released in Australia despite them being available overseas. It's got nothing to do with Amazon and everything to do with Australian businesses trying to keep their island market sewn up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:22:31 PM PST
Thank you Pete and Alina,
I know that Google is in some difficulties with taxation practices in the UK so I guess their charging GST is no surprise.
The fact that News Ltd is protectionist is no surprise either and the issue of copy right is mainstream.
In fact Australian's are being ripped off regularly by the IT industry generally as we pay excessive premium for downloads that cost nothing to deliver. These companies make no value added contribution in Australia as they are not resident here, employ no one and pay no tax.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:26:33 PM PST
I would like to thank everyone for their comments and assistance.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:14:18 PM PST
JJulieJ says:
You're welcome, Anthony. Come and visit us over on the Australian Kindle Users Thread. There are often recommendations and we chat about all sorts of things, including books and Kindles ;-).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:19:48 PM PST
Thanks for the Invitation and Please include me in any discussions as I am an avid fan of Kindle even with the limitations.

I have bought a Nexus 7 but that's another story, thanks for the warning about Goggle and they are now charging $25 GST invoiced from Singapore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:40:13 PM PST
I now have the Nexus ( GST and all). I agree reading on the tablet sucks so the Kindle will be still used. I download onto a Desk top if I have any detailed reading that I need to do.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions