Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Wed. Jan. 16, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 8:06:14 PM PST
Courtney says:
Good Morning, Good Evening, Good Afternoon

Thank you for gathering here each day to share a little of yourself. Whether you post lots of book links, or just say hi, or amuse us with stories about kids, dogs, cats, and turtles, or are a lurker and just read about us. If you haven't said hi, feel free to wet your toes. I promise we'll keep the computers covered and Lysoled to keep back the germs :)

I thought I'd share a fun quote today:

Please excuse the mess, the children are making memories.

And a question:

What is the most memorable piece of advice you've given or received?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Links to a few daily free book sources:

Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

FB&C Starter Schedule: (January is completely covered!!!)

JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 17, Start Time around 11 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 18, Start Time: 12:30am PST
KayKay - Saturday, Jan. 19, Start Time @12:30 p.m. EST
DiedInWoolYid - Sunday, Jan. 20, Start Time Saturday Jan 19 11:00 pm EST
Leo - Monday, Jan. 21, Start Time 12:00am PST
IrishM - Tuesday, Jan. 22, Start Time: @5-6 am EST
Scarlett859 - Wednesday, Jan. 23 Start Time around 10:00pm CST (Tues night)
JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 24, Start Time: 11:00 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 25, Start Time: 12:30am PST
Robb - Saturday, Jan. 26
DonnaBeeGood - Sunday, Jan. 27 Start Time midnight PST
Leo - Monday, Jan. 28, Start Time 12:00am PST
Ketta - Tuesday, Jan. 29, start time 4-5am EST
Courtney - Wednesday, Jan. 30 Start Time around 12:00am EST
JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 31, Start Time 11:00 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Feb. 1, Start Time: 12:30am PST

Open Dates:
Saturday, Feb. 2
Sunday, Feb. 3
Monday, Feb. 4

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. If you have the desire, but not the knowledge, please ask. We are happy to give you the confidence boost and the knowledge to create a start.*********

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To link. *

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!304&authkey=!AI1-59L9q8AbjRA

Book Discussion:
Our next book discussion is on February 14, 2013
The book **Free** at posting: The Fortune Quilt

Yesterday's link
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx2U9H96L5ONNWC

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:21:46 PM PST
mebe says:
Thank You

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:35:12 PM PST
Thanks for the start Courtney. :)

Just hanging out here... waiting for the time to pass...

Marilyn

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:51:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:56:31 AM PST
Denise Long says:
Great start, Courtney.

my picks:

Pale Queen's Courtyard (Moonlit Cities)
Vengeance Is Mine (An Emily O'Brien Novel #1)
Buried Truth (An Emily O'Brien Novel #2)
Gabriel: Zero Point (Evan Gabriel Trilogy)
Gabriel's Redemption (Evan Gabriel Trilogy)
The Tea Goddess
Nobilissima

Happy reading
and
have fun.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:53:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:57:06 PM PST
Janine says:
Good morning Courtney thanks for the start I am late for work but wanted to share this.
When I was a student the lecturer said she wants to tell us the next thing that she hopes will say with us the rest of our lives I still think about it.

It is the story of a old man that sits outside a town and his answer to two travelers. A traveler approached the town and asked the old man how is the people of this town he asked the man how was the people in the town he just left his answer they were kind, loving and the best you could get the old man answered so will you find the people in this town a few days later another traveler ask him the same question and he said how was the people in the town you just left the man answered they were rude, obnoxious the worse you can get the old man answered him that is how you will find the people in this town.

That to me best advice ever your attitude towards people and how you treat them will be how you will be treated hope this makes sense I not very good in telling story's. Thanks all that commented on my Holliday would love you to see it have a timeshare end of April at Ngwenya Lodge it sleeps 8 so can take six with us.

Edit can't for can

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:00:42 PM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
Courtney,
Great start. I like the quote, "Please excuse the mess, the children are making memories." If you mentioned your messy house to my aunt she would say, "I came to see the people, not the house."

The best advice I ever received (and have passed on) is on parenting. "Never listen to UNSOLICITED advice! Do what feels right to you."

I guess a second one came from a pediatrician in a childbirth class. He said when the grandparents start trying to tell you how to do things "right" look at them and ask, "Do you think you did a good job raising me?" At that point if they say "yes" you then say, "Then you raised me to be able to handle this." If they say "no", just give them that look that says, "then why should I listen to you?" Win-win.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:07:49 PM PST
Oh Zoo... that is so true about the parenting issue. What a great pediatrician he must have been~! :) Perfect answer.

Marilyn

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:22:53 PM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
He was a great ped. He always listened and treated you like what you had to say was important. (this was older son)

Younger son's first ped was a nightmare. (for 2 visits, the new one was great,too) Meany doc didn't like that I was taking son to Health Dept for vaccinations, (ins didn't pay and hd was free) even with assurance I would bring a copy of the records for his files. (I thought that was reasonable and the old ped had been agreeable) He got so mad he walked out of exam room without touching Son. I told receptionist and nurse (and called insurer) I'd better not see a bill. Nor did I ever see him again. (I guess he was seeing vaccine money leave his pocket. I just didn't want it leaving mine!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:38:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 10:39:59 PM PST
Glad you stood up for yourself and walked out. Sometimes it makes you wonder why someone like that would work with children. Glad the 2nd one was one of the keepers. :)

ETA.. you must be having another of your "sleepless in ohio" nights... I'm sorry that you are going through that again tonight. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:39:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 10:40:26 PM PST
redandwhite says:
Good morning Courtney
Thank you for the start and for the quote, "Please excuse the mess, the children are making memories." wish I had known that one whilst mine were small - problem is ..... what do I say now (kids left the nest ages ago !!)

Off to work, by bus today, snow and ice on the road so no good for me to cycle. Will check in later. Everyone have a good and healthy as possible day.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:16:44 PM PST
dharts says:
Nobody has posted this Penguin freebie? It looks good.

Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books

Bibliophiles, grab your glasses! Here is a compendium of interesting--and often scandalous--facts and quips about the literary world. Featuring authors and tomes of yesteryear and yesterday, from Tolkien's Middle- earth to Jeffrey Eugenides's Middlesex, you'll sections such as:
You Don't Say?: Commonly-used words and phrases that were coined or popularized in classic words of fiction--sometimes with very different meanings. Gruesomely Ever After: The original endings of some of the world's most cherished fairy tales--"Snow White," "The Little Mermaid," "Cinderella," and more. Parental Guidance Suggested: Banned works of fiction and the controversy surrounding them. Lions and Tigers and Bears (Oh My!): The real-life stories and inspirations behind beloved "leading creatures." Time to Make the Doughnuts: Odd jobs of famous authors. Tell Me a Story: Dahl's short stories, Seuss's political cartoons; the lesser-known, and sometimes shocking, adult writings of beloved children's authors. The Long Con: Shocking (and sometimes shockingly long-lived) literary hoaxes: Frey, JT Leroy, The Education of Little Tree, The Day After Roswell, etc. Science Fiction, Science Fact: If alien monoliths are ever found on the moon, the safer bet is that they would be translucent crystal; Sir Arthur C. Clarke is celebrated for making accurate predictions of various technologies, years ahead of their time. A look at which of his predictions held true and the same feats of other authors. Yes, But is it Art?: The weirdest books ever written: books without verbs, without punctuation...or without the letter "e".
Make this and all of the Blackboard Books(tm) a permanent fixture on your shelf, and you'll have instant access to a breadth of knowledge. Whether you need homework help or want to win that trivia game, this series is the trusted source for fun facts.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:00:03 AM PST
ebook addict says:
50 Shades of Smoothies - Get 50 Yummy & Nutritious Smoothie Recipes
One of the best ways to get your recommended dietary intake of vitamins and mineral nutrients into your diet is by drinking freshly made fruit and vegetable juices. This is easily achieved by blending many thick and frothy smoothies from frozen fruits.

Delicious smoothies prepared from fresh fruits are a huge source of bio-available vitamins and minerals which the human body needs to perform at optimum capacity.

These vitamins and minerals are highly essential for digesting, absorbing and converting the food we consume into bodily tissues.

Without these vitamins, we would exhibit several symptoms of malnutrition ranging from fatigue, drowsiness, insomnia, indigestion, constipation, depression, hair loss etc.

To combat these symptoms, it is highly essential to ingest sufficient quantities of vitamins and minerals in our diets via smoothies.

Another benefit of drinking fresh juices and smoothies is that your body can absorb more of the vitamins and minerals than if you were to eat the fruits and vegetables whole.

This recipe book offers a variety of exotic smoothie recipes, each with its own brand of unique spice and flair. Smoothies are also delicious, and with the right smoothie recipes we can provide delicious and nutritious whole foods to our families especially the kids.

Healthy smoothie recipes have also been known to promote weight loss.

With this guide you will learn how easy it is to add nutritious whole foods to your lifestyle, and enjoy all the health benefits real foods have to offer.
In this book, you will learn how to make nutritious smoothies with ingredients that are readily available anywhere and are equally affordable.

The smoothie recipes featured in this recipe book are highly nutritious and are a great way to finally get the kids to "eat" their vegetables. They have been carefully selected and they all characteristically contain low calories and fat.

Here are some of the smoothie recipes in this book;
Avocado Banana Berry Smoothie
Banana Blueberry Smoothie
Banana Orange Twist
Banana Split Smoothie
Berry Blue Smoothie
Blackberry Smoothie
Blueberry Maple Smoothie
Cappuccino Smoothie
Pink Smoothie Deluxe
Purple Passion Smoothie
Rainbow Smoothie
Raspberry Orange Smoothie
Raspberry Watermelon Smoothie
Smoothie Power Shake
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
And much more

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:14:48 AM PST
Favourite piece of advice apart from "just say no" has to be "no matter where you go, there you are".

Good morning, all!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:24:20 AM PST
Good morning everyone! Thank you for getting us started today Courtney.

A few picks to start the day.....

Free Gift With Purchase - Contemporary Fiction

Emma and Laura are about as different as two sisters can be. Emma?s always been the party girl, Laura, the hardworking doctor. But now, the two have something in common. Both are newly single and trying out the dating scene after marriage.
Emma?s a widow and a single mother with a guilty secret she can?t let go. Laura?s husband just dumped her for one of four women he?s been sleeping with. A dispute over the house forces Laura to move in with her sister and that?s when the fun begins.
Go on some dates with these 42 and 44 year-old adorable sisters who are both looking for love and your jaw will surely drop! Laura?s mixed bag includes Dan, a selfish womanizer, Ari, a stalker, and Tim, a compulsive liar. For Emma there?s sexy, adorable Preston, a self-proclaiming ?fun guy,? beautiful Alice, who's a lesbian, and a string of Matts who go from bad to worse. Then there's separated, charismatic, wealthy Luke Sullivan. Luke?s carrying some baggage, but he makes Emma?s heart stop every time he appears.
Free Gift With Purchase is a book about two sisters who have always seen things from an entirely different perspective, but who as women in need of each other learn to consider that instead of judging, looking through each other?s eyes might make their lives a lot richer. In other words, when you buy into opening your heart and believing in yourself, you might just end up with a Free Gift With Purchase.

November Surprise - Romance

Twenty years
Six presidential elections
Two brothers
One consuming love affair

For Lucy Jones, the distinction between love and politics is hazy at best. Both can be all-consuming, and either can lead to a heart-breaking loss or an exhilarating win. Whatever the case, if you're seen as a loser, you probably are one. Lucy first learns this lesson in 1988, when she's a shy girl, battling a high school bully and rooting for Dukakis. Through the years Lucy will experience stunning victories and agonizing defeats as she makes the choices that define her. Meanwhile, she also struggles to define her relationship with Monty, who comes in and out of her life like the changes in public opinion. Is Monty simply a one-night stand, a kindred spirit, or the love of her life? And by 2008, can he offer her a change to believe in?

Over the course of twenty years and six presidential elections, Lucy grows and adjusts with the times. Filled with snarky political and pop-culture references, November Surprise is about the journey we take to believe in a candidate, in love, and in ourselves.

November Surprise is a companion piece to Campaign Promises, which is free on Amazon. They can be read in either order.

*WARNING - the political views expressed in this book are fiercely liberal. If you're a conservative, be prepared for your blood to boil.

Two Weddings (Canyon Road Series) - Romance

Millicent has come into her own power and beauty since being hired by Sage to take care of her mansion and business.

Now, somewhat ironically, she is in charge of Michael and Sage's wedding. She has worked hard to assure everything will be perfect for them, while hiding her broken heart over her love for Michael. One last blow comes out of the blue to dash her last hopes that Michael might not marry Sage.

But an even bigger surprise is in store for Millicent in her very near future.

Anyone who loves horses and dogs - and the triumph of love - will enjoy TWO WEDDINGS, the second in the Canyon Road series.

Killer Cupcakes (A Lexy Baker Bakery Cozy Mystery) - Mystery

Things are going great for Lexy Baker. She's finally opened her dream bakery, gotten rid of her cheating boyfriend and settled into her grandmothers house with her perky dog Sprinkles at her side.

But her blissful life doesn't last long. When her ex boyfriend is found poisoned with cupcakes from her bakery, Lexy finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation headed up by her hunky neighbor detective Jack Perillo.

With the help of a gang of iPad toting, would-be detective grandmothers, Lexy decides to take it upon herself to find the real murderer in order to clear her name and get her bakery back in business.

As things heat up on the murder trail, in the kitchen and between Lexy and the hunky detective, it's a race against time to put the real murderer behind bars and get back to baking.

Will Lexy get her man?

>> Includes the recipe for Lexy's famous cupcake tops!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 3:29:48 AM PST
B.J. says:
Good morning all. Been up since 3 a.m., just another sleepless night. Waves at Zoo..Are you sleeping? Marilyn, are you still home? I've already checked kinlib, no takers. If the ice melts off the highway, I suppose I'll tackle hitting the grocery store. Anyone need me to pick up anything for them? Now that's what I need - a personal shopper. How wonderful it would be to sit in a cozy chair, read my Kindle, and have groceries delivered.

BJ

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:04:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:07:42 AM PST
Biscay says:
Sorry to hear that, BJ. So dreary whiling away those hours... and being tired at the same time. I hope you can find something to read! There are a few of us lurking around - I've got to get cracking as I've got a lot to do but I know I will still be checking in at intervals!

As for getting provisions delivered - I don't know what you're complaining about - the bell rings, in comes Loki, your own personal (and very economical) home shopper!!!

I don't dare to go looking for books now or I'll be sitting here for half an hour... or will I...

PS thanks for starting Courtney - great questions too and I'm loving hearing everyone's favourite quotes. Hope everyone's safe in the ice and snow... is there still some flooding concern? what about those nasty bugs and colds, hope they are all improving for both our thread folk and the young ones suffering at the moment.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:36:50 AM PST
NC Red Rose says:
Well Rose Red we will get the snow tomorrow. Now have a Winter Storm watch when the
Flood Watch ends. Took long enough for winter to get here. Just wish I was already moved
into the house I'm buying. Been waiting seems forever. At least that one has heat. For the last five years have been using space heaters.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:58:00 AM PST
NC Red Rose says:
Good Morning Everyone
I hope that everyone has a safe and blessed day.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:39:00 AM PST
This was posted yesterday, but I have to put in a plug for it again today. Red (Transplanted Tales) I read it when it first came out and thought it was a really fun read. I'm a bit biased, though, because the author is a coworker of mine and has become a friend. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:50:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 5:54:34 AM PST
Courtney says:
Now "You are busy making memories" :)

NC Red Rose: That sounds not fun to be using space heaters for all of your heat!

We got snow overnight. It was 50 F on Monday, and all the snow melted. Yesterday was still warmish at 40 F, and then today: SNOW! 4-6 inches. The roads are a mess, and the plows are MIA. I shall be staying inside and making soup for lunch.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:58:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:00:05 AM PST
Dakota says:
Mansnatchers

eta: think I've got it!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:23:30 AM PST
Dakota says:
Half Life (A Sam Larkin Mystery)

Grave Truths

Counting on You

A few more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:31:16 AM PST
Grammiam says:
Marilyn... How did your visit to ER go? Test results?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:02:33 AM PST
Dakota says:
Death Before Facebook (Skip Langdon #4) (Skip Langdon Mystery) (The Skip Langdon Series)

For those following this series, I read this one and it was good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:05:58 AM PST
NC Red Rose says:
Courtney,
First year it was fine. Had heat, very nice landlord always concerned about the kids and me. Then he sold the house. Alas New owner will not fix anything. When the furnace broke down his thoughts were oh well if I could fix it to go for it. Then the roof started leaking leaking. Again the same mind set. Needless to say I am on a fixed income. Decided if I had to save to fix the problems that I would save for my own home. Don't get me wrong it's been fun. The kids and I have had fun snuggling under blankets in the winter, and seeing how much rain we can catch in the bedroom. We usually put seven pots in there alone. We have made a game out of it. LOL Was afraid to report him to the housing authority. We are looking forward to the new house. Have already made plans about popping popcorn and making smores in the fireplace. Oh and the landlord is getting a huge fine and has to fix everything before he can rent out the property again.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions