Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire and Kindle $79 questions.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2011 8:27:12 PM PST
I have been given a gift of a Kindle Fire and I am still on the fence about keeping it. I do have a few questions though if anyone can answer me. I am completely new to Kindle, so please bear with me.

1. What happens if my Fire breaks down? Does this mean I lose all books I've downloaded? I know there is a cloud thing going on here, but I want to be sure that I can re-download onto a different device. It's unlikely I would buy another Fire.

2. What if I buy a $79 Kindle for my husband? Can he have access to any of my books in the cloud? What about his books that he would download? Could he store them in my cloud? Or would we have to use one Amazon account?

3. I think I read that a Prime membership is only good for one device. Again, what happens if my Kindle breaks? Would I have to buy another Prime?

I'm just trying to make sure that if my Kindle breaks, gets lost or stolen or whatever, that I won't have my entire library lost along with it and make sure that my husband and I can share books on separate Kindle machines.

If we can't share them, then there is no point in owning a Kindle. Ever. I can hand him my real book so I should be able to hand him my ebook.

Thanks much in advance!

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:50:26 PM PST
Your e-books belong to the account that purchased them. They'll always be in the archive of any device or app registered to the same account.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:54:16 PM PST
Aha! That's good points for Amazon in me keeping the Kindle and buying another for my husband. :) Thank you Sugar Plum!

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:56:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 8:57:24 PM PST
Ok, in order:

1. If the Fire, or any other Kindle, breaks down, you can download your books to any other Kindle or Kindle app (Kindle for PC, for example). The books belong to the account and are available to any device(s) registered to that account.

2. If you buy yourself or your husband a Kindle, you would both have access to all the books on your account, if you register it to that account. (A Kindle can only be registered to one account at a time.) Only devices registered to that account can have access to the books bought on that account, so if you want to share books, both devices would have to be registered to your account.

3. The Prime membership is good for one account, not one device. All the advantages - like the Kindle Owners' Lending Library - are available to the Kindles (not the apps) registered to the paid Prime account.

If your Kindle breaks, especially if it's less than a year old, all you do is call Kindle Customer Service and they will take care of you.

Also, if you buy your husband a Kindle and you like it better than the Fire, you have until January 31 to return it and you could use the refund to get an e-ink Kindle instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 8:56:33 PM PST
No problem. Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 8:58:16 PM PST
I have a Kindle Fire, hubby bought a Kindle Touch a few days after he saw my Fire. Okay...first of all, on both devices, we have purchased supplemental insurance (mine through Square Trade, his from Staples, where we got his KTouch). So if the devices do break down, they will be fixed/replaced. All your books are available to you on a variety of devices (I have free Kindle apps on my ipod Touch, my Windows phone and my computer...and all my books are available there). So yes, you could get them to another device. If you and your husband agree to share an account (we do in my house) then you both have access to all the same books. His that I don't want, I don't download to my device, and vice versa. The Prime membership is attached to your amazon relationship, not your device (with the exception of the Kindle Owners Lending Library, which allows you to borrow a normally paid book every month). Prime gets you free 2-day shipping of stuff from Amazon and tons of videos you can watch online or on the Fire. So Prime is good on one account...but we share the account. Prime membership is not required. You get a free month trial with Kindle Fire, but if you don't want to keep it, let it lapse at the end of the month.

Does that help? We have found having the 2 Kindles very functional on one account. (Just turn OFF syncing, or both devices will put the book at the same page!). Your library is safe and portable, and you can definitely share.

Now we're considering getting my college daughter a Kindle for Christmas -- as her textbooks are soooo much cheaper (and lighter) in e-editions. Oh...and you can check out library books, too. Fun!

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:59:09 PM PST
W. Andres says:
1. The books you download are still on Amazon's servers so "no", you would not lose your books should your Fire break down. They may be downloaded at a future point.

2. My wife and I share books because we registered both of our Kindles on her name. In other words, consider registering your husband's Kindle in your name. Now as for books that he downloads compared to what you download, there are two ways to go about this. If you decide to go with one account (i.e. one credit card under one name) then you both could download books under that account BUT they would all be mixed together on your cloud and archived on both of your Kindles. Early on my wife and I used one two accounts (one VISA card in my name and one in her own) and we downloaded the books we each wanted and paid for them separately. BUT they all resided on her cloud and the entire mix was on both of our Kindles. I grew tired of this and deregistered my Kindle and then re-registered it in my own name. Now I have my own books on my cloud and she has her own on hers. If we want to read a book on one another's Kindles, we borrow. LOL

3. Correct... a Prime membership is good for only one device. If your Fire breaks you would still have your Prime membership (great for 2nd day air deliveries) and would need to get your Fire repaired to make your Prime fully worthwhile.

Whatever you purchase on Amazon will remain yours regardless of what happens to your devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 9:01:36 PM PST
No, a Prime membership is not only good for one device. My sister and I share an account, and we each have Fires. Each of us can stream videos (just not the same one at the same time). We take turns deciding what book to borrow, and we can each read it on our Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 9:04:33 PM PST
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you! I have been on the fence for the past few days about the Fire but I feel better now. Hubby has no idea I'm buying one for him. My sister and aunt bought me the Fire, which is more than I need. I do like the idea of returning it and getting the cheaper one. We'll see.

Again, thanks so much. This is a keeper and I'm off to order my honey a surprise! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 9:41:25 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
Your Prime account applies to all devices registered to that account. You can use the free streaming on 2 devices at a time. They just have to be streaming separate movies. You can have many Kindles and Kindle apps registered to one account. They will all have access to the books on that account.
Carolyn

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 1:27:26 PM PST
dcfran50 says:
I have a prime membership. Can I purchase a Kindle for my son and put it in my name and use the prime that I already have?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 7:05:13 PM PST
Apparently yes. I bought the second Kindle and it's automatically connected to my prime account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 7:31:37 PM PST
BethW says:
Yes, but you did not specify which kindle you have and which for your son. If both are the Fire then you can not stream the same movie at the same time. Between the two of you you can only get 1 book per month from the lending library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 7:33:01 PM PST
Yes, dcfran50, Prime membership applies to the account, not just a device. You can have unlimited Kindles registered to your account. But you can only borrow one book per month from the Lending Library and can only stream two videos at a time.

All Kindles registered to one account can access all of the books purchased by that account.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 7:05:29 PM PST
Melissa says:
I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I have an amazon.com account but not prime. If I upgrade to a Prime membership will I be eligible for the free movies and books that can be downloaded to the Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:11:08 PM PST
BethW says:
yes. But Prime is $79 a year. Its main benefit is the free 2 day shipping of amazon items. The free books are a limited selection and only 1 a month. The video selection is ok but not great. If you want many videos Netflix, though more expensive is probably better (check amazon) and free books through the library are virtually unlimited.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:17:04 PM PST
This is good to know! I don't have a Fire (but I'm crossing my fingers for some Daddio Christmas cash). I was thinking I'd "need" a Prime membership, but it sounds like it's doesn't add all that much functionality to the Fire.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:23:44 PM PST
BethW says:
You will probably want something for video streaming so it all depend on what you like and how frequently you will use. Check out the free Prime videos but I expect that unless you primarily want the fire for color books, the selection is not worth the price differential from netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:52:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2011 7:52:51 PM PST
I'm really tempted. My laptop is dead, and at $85 an hour for a geek to try to repair a junk outdated laptop, I might just have them rescue my pics off it for 20 bucks and put the money toward a Fire.

All I really need at home is access to my email, and maybe Facebook once in a while. ETA: And, y'know... Amazon.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 9:44:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2011 9:47:01 AM PST
@Folina, I would not recommend a Fire as a replacement for a computer. The ONLY reason I say this is because it will not allow an external keyboard and the Fire's onboard keyboard is a pain. Think texting, but 20 times longer because it's an email and not a short message.

If they would allow us to attach an external portable keyboard, then all would be perfect in the world, but there is no way to install one. :(

Facebook is okay, since most of those are short but again, not really email.

The Fire is best described as a Media Player, rather than a computer per say.

@everyone (update to my original post): I have enjoyed my Fire so much, that I ended up getting my husband one for Christmas. I have tinkered with it for hours and it's amazingly simple to use. Thanks to everyone!

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 4:03:00 PM PDT
Daniel Hayes says:
I bought a kindle at a flea market very cheap if try to activate it and it turns out to be lost or stolen can I get in trouble

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 9:35:18 PM PDT
Daniel, that all depends on local and state laws, which obviously vary by locality. If you can prove you bought it at the flea market, then you're probably okay. It'll have to be deregistered though, via Amazon.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:47:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:22:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:11:31 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
If her Fire is registered to your Amazon account you can share your Amazon content. There isn't anything hard about doing that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:16:36 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 14, 2012 9:22:41 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Dec 10, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions