Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Buying a Kindle in Ireland

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 23, 2012 7:45:05 AM PST
Hi,

I have been searching for a Kindle Paperwhite (wifi) all over but cannot find one. It does not seem to be available in very many outlets and those who stock it, like argos are out of stock. They have been out of stock for a number of weeks and having even got them to check their warehouse order system it seems amazon will not be deliving Kindles before Christmas.
I cannot buy one online as I do not have a UK address, and even if I provide a UK address (I have family there) the shipping dates do not allow alot of time for delivery from the UK to here - We all know what Christmas post is like!
However it seems I can buy one from the US website. Is this the same? will everything work? should I opt for this option?

Any advice or tips would be great,

Thanks, Eimear

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 7:47:10 AM PST
You won't be able to buy it from Amazon.com, they're not shipping outside of the US right now due to overwhelming demand. If you can get it from a third party in the US, it will work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 7:48:24 AM PST
Kribu says:
You probably can't buy one from the US site. It doesn't say so on the Paperwhite page, but unless you have a friend in the US, with a US address, to ship it to, you'll likely be told "we can't ship this item to your address" or something along those lines when you've placed it in the cart and tried to go to the check-out page.

Also, I gather that Americans ordering Paperwhites now also have pretty long waiting times anyway, or at least did recently.

A local shop or family in UK is your best bet. I've heard some people say that some UK brick and mortar shops have Paperwhite for sale - maybe your family could find one in a shop, which would take off at least some delivery time?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 8:34:52 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You might just as well give up trying to get one before Christmas. It isn't going to happen.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 10:12:42 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
shipping date right now in the US is December 2st

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:19:05 PM PST
Macrooster says:
My sister lives in Dublin and I want to give her a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I live in San Francisco. Can I buy her a US Kindle Fire and will it work in Ireland? Will an international converter work for her to charge it? Any information and recommendations would be warmly welcomed. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 3:30:48 PM PST
WJF says:
i have a kindlefire over 8months now and live in dublin .it works fine but you have to download getjar or the likes as we cant download anything but books from amazon, she can buy a charger in currys or argos. ps i love my fire

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 9:22:16 AM PST
I received an Amazon gift voucher for Christmas in GBP; I'n in Dublin Ireland. I want to buy a Kindle but as I can only do so through the international site the Amazon.com Intl site will not accept the voucher code as valid - ARGH! - very frustrating and annoying!!!

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 4:07:11 AM PST
E. Khoo says:
https://www.parcelmotel.com will solve your problem.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 4:16:20 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
the paperwhite is totally available to Ireland now - no need to use a service

Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation]

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 8:29:37 PM PST
Matt Ward says:
I ended up buying it in the U.S. and bringing it over to Ireland. My sister uses a simple converter to charge it and all the horror stories about getting The Times are true and the charges for these publications are more in the Republic than in the U.K. Thank you all for your input.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 2:36:03 AM PST
Using any service to have it delivered does not solve the issue - Amazon do not want to accommodate potential Irish Kindle customers. I've bought another e-reader instead. I know that fact doesn't make an iota of difference to Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 2:56:41 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
You do not need a service anymore, Amazon is now shipping them worldwide. Check out the links posted above.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 3:17:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 5:43:41 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
read my post two posts above yours and click on the links - I can guarantee you'll be able to buy one of them

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 5:39:38 AM PST
Of course Amazon doesn't "want to accommodate potential Irish Kindle customers". Think of how much money Amazon makes by not selling things to people who want them.

Sigh.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
SwagBucks Thread 5136 10 seconds ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wednesday March 4, 2015 51 30 seconds ago
need to cancel order have already read this book 6 6 minutes ago
can't gift a pre-order?? really?? 39 7 minutes ago
What will the Kindle be like in the future? Here are my predictions, some very outlandish! 15 8 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 6325 10 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 6885 11 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 3458 13 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 8402 19 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 7483 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 23, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions