Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire FreeTime and FreeTime Unlimited

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2012 5:00:05 PM PST
I bought a Kindle Fire HD for my daughter who is 4 specifically for the FreeTime functionality which allows me to control exactly which books, apps, and videos she can access. So far it works like I expected for the most part. I have 3 enhancement requests. First I wish FreeTime allowed me to select videos for my daughter to watch that were not purchased through Amazon but were loaded to the tablet. Second I also wish I could authorize music for my daughter to listen to inside of FreeTime. Third I wish I could designate Apps as education vs. games and have different clocks for each. As it stands right now the clock for my daughter to play angry birds is the same as for her to work on her preschool apps.

I just started looking into FreeTime Unlimited and it looks like it is a great service and something I would be interested in subscribing to. But as it stands now there are no controls allowing me to control which Books, Videos or Apps my 4 year old daughter would have access too. I know it says everything is kid safe but as a parent I still want control since I don't necessarily agree with everything that is included as being appropriate for a 4 year old. I would not feel comfortable giving her access to all that content without me having the ability to select what I agree as appropriate. So at this point I am going to pass on the service but I am hoping that Amazon adds the ability to allow the parent to control the content. If that happens I will be one of the first to sign up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 5:02:24 PM PST
Very valid points.
Please copy your post into an email and send it to Amazon .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 5:18:37 PM PST
 Ann says:
I can help with one of your wishes. ;-)

Install one of the music player apps, and add that to your child's Freetime profile. Downloaded music will be available in the app. I have this one - Rocket Music Player. There are several others in the appstore that you might take a look at.

As for your other feedback, do send it to Amazon. Click the "Help" link at the top of the page, then press the "Contact Us" button. You can also send feedback from your Fire - Settings->More->Help & Feedback.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 3:06:54 PM PST
K. M. says:
If I buy 2 Kindle Fires, can my kids share apps, or do I have to buy separate apps for each Kindle? They like some of the same things.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 3:10:16 PM PST
All content belongs to the account.
As long as both are registered to same account they can get the apps and books, purchase

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 3:18:03 PM PST
You only have to buy the app once as long as both Kindle Fires are linked to the same amazon account. I have apps that I bought from the amazon appstore that I use on both of my android phones, my kindle fire, and another android tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 3:44:13 PM PST
K. M. says:
Great, thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 5:35:18 PM PST
jarand says:
Loving the idea of FreeTime Unlimited! But I too think the ability to block content should be available.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 5:11:18 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I can understand that. There are some cartoons that parents may not like even if the powers that be deem them as appropriate for children. When my son was little there were a few cartoons that I didn't want him watching for various reasons. When scrolling through the list of ones available in FreeTime unlimited I saw a couple of titles that struck me as "some parents won't like this".

I think the next step would be for Amazon to allow parents to allow or block titles within the program. Parents should be sending emails to

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 11:48:35 AM PST
Thanks I did send Amazon an email with feedback on FreeTime Unlimited hopefully other parents will do the same. I think it has the potential to be a great service they just need to allow the parents control over the content.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:13:19 AM PST
I too am intrigued by FreeTime Unlimited, but I notice the number of streaming videos is pretty small at this time by comparison to the library offered via my Prime membership. I wish I could have access to the video library as normal, and, as others have mentioned, add a parental control to filter the material. For instance, a movie like "Hugo". Although it is rated PG, I believe it is a good movie for my 7 year old to watch, but it is not available in the FreeTime Unlimited listing. Is there a way to change this or have access to it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 6:40:55 AM PST
jsh1120 says:

There's currently no way to provide access directly to Amazon Prime videos from within Kindle FreeTime (as you've found.) The workaround is rather cumbersome but if you download Kids Place - Parental Controls from the Amazon Appstore you can use it for streaming Amazon's Prime videos. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to make it work from within Kindle FreeTime; it's one environment or the other.

Kids Place - Parental Control

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 7:12:10 AM PST
David Albright says: "So at this point I am going to pass on the service but I am hoping that Amazon adds the ability to allow the parent to control the content."

It is somewhat unlikely that that will ever be implemented due to logistics. The problem is that the service currently has access to 1,515 items and that number will constantly be in flux as things are added and removed. That is an unwieldy number of items for an individual to have to wade through to set blocks. It's one thing to go through a few dozen items already on the device. It is another thing entirely to go through over 1500 (and potentially thousands as the service grows) items that are not on the device but on an ever changing service. The second issue is the size of the database that would be required to hold the block info would be fairly large compared to the one for just the items on the account. The larger it is the slower the Fire will be (similar to how people with thousand plus books in their Kindle account have problems with their Kindle's archives).

I'm not saying it won't happen. It's just not something that is as easy to do as the local content block is given the scope. So if it's important to you just keep an eye out to see if an update in the future adds that capability.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 7:15:13 AM PST
I found a way to give access on Freetime to movies I loaded on the Kindle (From DVDs and downloaded videos). I downloaded the app Movie Gallery and then gave my daughter's profile access to the app. Now my daughter can watch all her movies while still on Freetime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 11:03:38 AM PST
Thanks for the info. I will have to try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 11:28:43 AM PST
It would take some effort on there part to implement but then the work of allowing the app to be used by my daughter would be on my end. I would prefer they setup an allow list vs. a block list just like they do for all of my apps in the Free Time environment. I reviewed the current content available under free time unlimited there are really only 158 apps available and of those only about half work with the kindle fire HD 7". So if they did setup an allow list I would probably go through the apps and allow my daughter to use about 30 of them then I would go under the videos and give her access to Sesame Street, Mr Rogers, Dora, and Deigo. The rest of the content I would leave blocked and it would be up to me to review it when I wanted to give her access to additional content and if Amazon stopped including an App they could remove it from the list just like the current setup.

I agree that not everyone would want to manage it that way but if they made it an option they would have at least one additional customer.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 12:20:03 PM PST
Make that 2 additional customers if they allowed white listing. Great work arounds suggested here for other missing features (kids DVDs I load, music, etc.). Thanks for the app suggestions!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 3:10:47 PM PST
Angie says:
K. M. - I wanted to mention that this is one of the great features of FreeTime Unlimited. Both kids have the same apps so there's no fighting over who has what (especially if they are on different accounts). There is so much content through FreeTime Unlimited that you don't even have to worry about your kids missing out on any apps. Not to mention, before FreeTime Unlimited came along, I would get the Lite versions of the apps so I didn't have to buy them. This of course included shorter versions and ads. Now with FreeTime the kids can have full versions of their games without me worrying about them constantly clicking on an ad or that they'll get bored quickly with the app because it's not the full version. It's well worth the small monthly charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 3:34:13 PM PST
Laura Clare says:
Make that 3 additional customers. I like Albright's suggestion and agree wholeheartedly: "the rest of the content I would leave blocked and it would be up to me to review it when I wanted to give her access to additional content." Forget about not having another Freetime subscriber, Amazon will miss out on another Kindle purchaser until they offer this option. We're the parents shouldn't we be ones deciding what's appropriate and good for our kids? Or should we cede that responsibility to some who knows who corporate drone whose business is to make money and hook kids on the latest Barbie, fashion, trend, toy and cereal?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 3:35:36 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
How about not letting your child loose with the device? Same with my parents didn't let me watch TV without them knowing what channel it was on. I used the same technique with my child.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 4:29:20 PM PST
K. M. says:
Thanks, Angie. This will definitely make things easier. I appreciate your feedback! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 4:49:15 PM PST
I agree FreeTime Unlimited is priced reasonably. I hope they will continue to add additional content. I was kind of disappointed that a lot of the free apps included don't work on the Kindle Fire HD. Hopefully they will continue to expand the library and continue to make enhancements such as giving the parents the option of allowing or blocking content within the FreeTime Unlimited library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 4:52:32 PM PST
Angie says:
Pat the Peachy Grinch - I have to agree with you. No product is perfect and kids need adult supervision with everything. My two daughters have Kindle Fires with FreeTime and I love it. I love that I can control the time on it (for some silly reason, my kids like to ignore me when I tell them "5 more minutes..."). I love that I can hand my kids their device and know that they aren't going to see a bunch of stuff they have to sort through (like you know how you download a book and it goes to all your Kindle devices?) this was happening because their Fires are on my account and every time I would download a book, it would appear on their Fire. Now they don't have to go through my garbage to get to their own content. There are a fun interactive books/apps I didn't even know about. My daughter found an Eric Carle interactive counting book, and my other daughter found a great drawing/coloring app. Love it! The minor complaints are not worth NOT getting the service. Hello?! $2.99/$6.99/month?! How can anyone complain about that? Not to mention that, as Laura describes it, "the latest Barbie, fashion, trend, toy and cereal" are on the bottom shelves of just about every store you go to. So actually, the brick & mortar stores are much worse than Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 5:13:48 PM PST
Yes I agree. I don't let my kids watch TV without knowing what they are watching. But a tablet is little harder to monitor since the screen is small and my daughter likes to play with it in her room. Which is why I think FreeTime is great I can lock it down tight and she can only play or watch what I allow for the time I allow her to do it in without worrying about her playing or watching something that I think isn't appropriate for her. I just hope Amazon will add that same functionality to FreeTime Unlimited.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:47:46 PM PST
HI I just got the Kindle Fire HD and I clicked on FreeTime, set it up, but NOWHERE is there the button to start the free trial. I know that here, online, I saw how to set it up. Well I had done the set up, added my two kids etc. And I want to take advantage fo the free one month trial. Except I can't find the darn button to do so. Also I despise that within the FreeTime app, every time I want to click on anything, it asks me for my password. So frustrating. Once I'm in, I should be able to navigate FreeTime freely without having to retype the password every time I click to navigate around!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 2 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4843 4 minutes ago
chase card hacked 3 7 minutes ago
kindle fire 7 hd 4 7 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6576 8 minutes ago
Text to read 2 11 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 7439 28 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2760 32 minutes ago
No longer able to email mobi file to Kindle email address. 21 44 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2012
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions