Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire: Missing Book Cover Images/ Icons

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 168 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 9:32:50 PM PST
Kaylay says:
I got my kindle fire a few days ago and sideloaded some ebook (mobi) files to the documents folder on my device. At first everything looked like it was working fine, but now for some reason the book cover images are missing on the homepage "carousel" and on the bookshelf menu.

Ive tried rebooting, re-loading, etc but ive had no luck getting the images back. There is just a grey box image. Fortunately when I click on the grey book image the books load up and function normally.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone been able to fix it?

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 8:54:12 AM PST
I'm having the same problem but can not figure out how to fix it. Anyone else out there?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 8:57:50 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 4:28:37 AM PST
nancy kant says:
its probably because the cover art format is not recognized by Kindle fire. Try Calibre. Its an ebook management software which will take care of all your ebook issues : http://calibre-ebook.com/

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 10:21:32 AM PST
Jose Lemus says:
I have the same problem, somebody solve it?

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 11:05:21 AM PST
iDRMRSR says:
Not for the faint of heart, but you download Calibre from the link mentioned earlier in the thread here. You then to PREFERENCES in Calibre and remove from the MOBI format the "personal document" tag. There's a check box to uncheck and a parameter to remove from the edit box there. Finally, you take your MOBI file and save it again as another single MOBI file, and edit the metadata on the saved file before saving it to make SURE there really is a cover there! Otherwise you can go and find cover art somewhere on the internet and slap it in there. If you are familiar with changing the tags and cover arts on MP3 files for music players, you will find Calibre does about the same things for ebooks, in addition to converting them from one format to another. Using Calibre, you can ensure there is a real cover for each book you send to the KF.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 11:25:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2011 11:26:41 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 11:28:50 AM PST
TAR@AL says:
I found the below solution posted under the "Kindle Forum" and it does restore the images on my books and apps on my Kindle Fire. There is a scary part - when I follow paragraph 6 of the instructions (and click on "Clear Data"), I received the following: "All of this application's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases and so on." I clicked "ok" and connected to Wi-Fi. My Kindle Fire refreshed and the app images displayed in the carousel and Apps Library. Even though it works, it is not a permanent fix, I have to repeat the process when I add new books and/or apps.

The following is copy/reposted From the Kindle Forum: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_t_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3LX7YKQLVGHHF#CustomerDiscussionsNew

"Sara P. says:
1. Tap the Settings icon at the top of your Kindle Fire screen
2. Tap "More..."
3. Tap "Applications"
4. Tap the "Filter by" drop-down menu and select "All Applications"
5. Scroll down and tap "Appstore"
6. Tap "Clear Data" under the Storage section
7. Select "OK" and tap the Home icon at the bottom left corner

Once your device is connected to Wi-Fi, your Kindle Fire will refresh and the app images will be displayed in the carousel and your Apps Library."

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 2:22:42 PM PST
I've got the same issue. Tried the clear data fix but it immediately went back to distorted icons. Seems that it's a different book or set of books almost each time. Just started this issue after downloading a book of amazons website from my pc and sending to tablet. Never happened when downloading from tablet.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 7:15:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 6:12:48 PM PST
M. Nguyen says:
I tried the clear data thing, but it didn't work. Plus every book I have put on my kf, I have used calibre for all of them. so when i touch a book to open it, instead of the title appearing, it show a small page with the image of some of the apps i have on the device. Is there a different solution?

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 7:16:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 1, 2012 7:17:10 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 2:51:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 2:51:38 PM PST
E. Maxwell says:
This fixed mine, but it's really annoying that there is not a permanent fix. I'm tired of repeating the process all the time. Fix this Kindle!!!

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 3:10:04 PM PST
I use the kindle app for Android. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and allowed the app to update itself. Now I'm stuck with the *(%#@ carousel.

Since then, I've noticed the same thing. When I look at my books 'on device', many of the covers are missing. They were definitely there before.

Another aggravation is that the books on the *(^%* carousel display in different sizes. Looks really really stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 6:19:34 AM PST
A.Ward says:
tried this and it made it worse. All my apps now have no images at all :(.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 6:46:56 AM PST
Forget all of the complicated solutions. As a couple of previous posters suggested, the best way to manage your library and to download or update the correct covers and metadata is to install and use the Calibre ebook management software. It's totally free and is an awesome program and works with all versions of the Kindle, including Fire. The other main benefit of the program is that it allows you to manage and integrate ebooks that you obtain from other sources than Amazon, such as Project Gutenberg, etc., and allows to to convert ebooks from epub, pdf and other formats into mobi so that they work with your Kindle. I can't imagine any Kindle owner not having this program. Like all programs, there's a small learning curve to mastering it but it is well documented and there are numerous forums posts with tutorials and help. Here's the download link: http://calibre-ebook.com/

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:44:12 PM PST
Tweetysvoice says:
The problem is that I DO have calibre, that's the only thing I've ever used. I've re-updated the meta tags, made sure there were pics and for some reason - just a couple days ago I no longer have the books showing images - only a grey screen. I've tried all the things above and more. Anyone else found another solution for this? It's frustrating not knowing what book is what!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 1:37:01 PM PST
A.Ward says:
which version do i download?

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 12:42:46 PM PST
I also can not see the covers from my non-Amazon books on my Fire and yes I do have Calibre. Can anyone please help?

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 4:31:10 PM PST
M. Kelly says:
Same issue. I do use calibre. I also sideload without calibre.
Seems to happen after any kind of use of the USB cable to do anything.
Occasionally after disconnect everything show up OK.
But most of the time have to do a hard reboot because some or all of the covers are greyed out. Sometime it takes two or three tries.
Sometimes after the reset, the Fire keeps repeatedly reloading all the cover images and you cannot open a book or magazine. Often takes two or more reboots to stop that endless loop.
I think its just a stability issue with the fire and the USB storage process. Have written to Amazon and just got a simple response with instructions how to reboot - after I told them that was what I was already doing.
Need more direct messages to customer support so they'll get the point!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 9:36:57 PM PST
Ryan says:
I tried without success. I then went to the amazon kindle app and it had the option to remove updates. I did that and all the missing books came back!!! My books were gone and I couldn't even find them using root explorer. All better now!

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 3:23:02 PM PST
F. Orasin says:
I have been "buying" free Gutenberg books thru Amazon and not one of them includes the many illustrations that I know are in each book. If you go directly to the Gueenberg book site and open one of the books, you can clearly see the images. Why the hell I cannot get them via Amazon makes no sense to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 9:00:13 AM PST
i loaded my books WITH calibre. they were there and then one day, they weren't. this "solution" isn't...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 10:21:32 PM PST
G. Braun says:
My exact problem. The Kindle Fire OS needs lots of work!!

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:29:43 PM PST
CK says:
Same problem here. Have always used calibre and it was working fine. Now, I reloaded all my books (using calibre) and 50% show their covers 50% do not. However when I click to open that book, I see the dang cover!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 1:17:07 PM PDT
David Ellis says:
I am trying to create a Kindle book and having perhaps the same problem at the publishing end. I upload the cover image and book body as directed, and in KDP's own preview program I see the cover image just fine in all the avaliable preview devices -- Kindle, DX, iPad, etc., but NOT in the Kindle Fire previewer. There's a bug here somewhere, and it is specific to the Kindle Fire.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  95
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions