Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do I remove the Amazon advertising on the 'wallpaper', first screen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 2:26:37 PM PST
Cheryl says:
I object to Amazon advertising on a device I have purchased, so how do I remove their annoying advertising. I'd prefer my own wallpaper or at the very least to just have a blank screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:29:32 PM PST
You go to your Manage Your Kindle page, then to Manage Your Devices, and then pay the difference between your clearly advertised ad-supported version and the non-ad-supported version. Without knowing which Kindle you're using, I can't tell you what that price will be.

And you can't customize your sleep screen. Getting rid of ads will just replace those images with ones from Amazon (old authors, some art, etc.).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:30:19 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Next time don't get an add supported device.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:30:41 PM PST
P. M. H. says:
Sounds like you have a Kindle with Special Offers (ads). You can go to Manage Your Kindle on Amazon.com and unscribe. It does cost extra, because you would have gotten a reduce price on your Special Offer Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:52:22 PM PST
Cheryl says:
Thank you for your explanation but I can't see where I can see whether it's an ad-supported version. It shouldn't be because I paid full price for it (Kindle 4.1.0). I went into the Screensaver Preferences and selected "I want to see less" and checked every box, but I suppose that doesn't stop all the ads.

If I can't stop being "ad assaulted" every time I open my kindle I'll have to get another e-reader. I enjoy having an e-reader but I sure don't like being manipulated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 2:54:01 PM PST
Did you go to your Manage Your Kindle page, then Manage Your Devices like I said?

Which Kindle are you using and how much did you pay for it?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:05:37 PM PST
dawnsong says:
4.1.0 is a software version for the PaperWhite, I believe.
Do you have a PaperWhite?

This is the product page:
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite , 6-Inch, Wi-Fi, With Special Offers

Notice two options with two different prices.
With special offers: $119
Without special offers: $139

Which one did you buy?
Special offers are a form of ads.
If you don't want to see them, then you must pay the difference.
That can be done on the Manage Your Kindle page on the Amazon website.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:05:58 PM PST
Cheryl - Unless you consider not reading the product description carefully as being "manipulated", you bought the kindle with the special offers. You obviously didn't pay too much attention when purchasing, so please don't start ranting about Amazon "manipulating" you...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:11:08 PM PST
Cheryl says:
Yes I went into Manage Your Devices but I don't see where I can unsubscribe.

I went into Manage Your Kindle/Subscription Settings and it says:
No subscriptions found.

Kindle 4.1.0.
I paid about $100

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:15:27 PM PST
Cheryl - Can you describe the advertising you are seeing? It it for Amazon specifically or for various products like cameras, AT&T service, new movie releases, etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:17:04 PM PST
Kribu says:
Your profile says you're in Canada? Did you buy the Kindle in a physical shop somewhere?

I don't think non-Americans are supposed to be able to buy ad-supported Kindles, but it's possible via third-party importers etc. It's much trickier to get rid of the ads in that case. I had to go through with this with my ad-supported Paperwhite (bought via a local shop importing them, and I knew full well I was getting the ad-supported version; it was the only one they offered) when I decided I didn't like the ads taking up a line of screenspace.

I basically had to change my location to a US address to even see the unsubscribe option, and use a US address for my credit card to get rid of the ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:17:06 PM PST
If you look under Manage Your Devices and see your device listed, what do you see to the right?

Don't go to any subscription area. Just go to Manage Your Devices and look to the right of your device name.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:18:49 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
4.1.0 is the Basic Kindle $69 USD

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:18:57 PM PST
dawnsong says:
In Manage Your Kindle, under Manage Your Devices you should see a picture of your Kindle. To the right is a column labelled Special Offers. The value for your Kindle under that column will be "Subscribed". Click on "Edit" just right of it and you will get instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:23:45 PM PST
Cheryl says:
Currently, it's for amazon books, AT&T Wish-a-Day sweepstakes, audible.com

Not only is it on the front 'page' when the device is off, but it's also in the footer of my Home page.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:25:09 PM PST
Cheryl says:
Actions is the last column. Under it is a link "Deregister"

Is "Deregister" where I deregister from ads or is it where my online Kindle account is deleted?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:28:03 PM PST
dawnsong says:
No, don't Deregister!

Look for the column labelled Special Offers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:28:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 3:29:25 PM PST
De-register means removing the Kindle from your Amazon account. You don't want to do that.

If you are in Canada and got a Kindle with Special Offers, I don't think there is an easy way to unsubscribe. If you bought your Kindle in a physical store and not from Amazon, and you're in Canada, I probably owe you a bit of an apology, as you probably were not aware of what you were getting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:29:10 PM PST
If she's in Canada and registered to a Canadian address, she might not see it.

Cheryl, you're likely going to have go contact Customer Service. I don't know how you got your Kindle, but you didn't buy it from Amazon. As they don't ship their special offers Kindles to Canada, there's no way to unsubscribe from them via the website.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:29:31 PM PST
P. M. H. says:
You need to look at the listings on the left sided of the page you are on in Manage Your Kindle - you want Manage Your Devices. On that page, find your Kindle and see if you can un-scribe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:36:21 PM PST
Cheryl says:
Thank you Kribu, that probably explains it. It was purchased online but now I'm confused - I wouldn't want something I'm not supposed to have. Ah well, I guess I'll try not to be so personally attached to it. Maybe I'll give the iPad mini consideration.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:38:11 PM PST
Cheryl says:
Thank you everyone for trying to help me. I've tried looking at every option on my account but couldn't resolve (some options I don't seem to have). All the best to you, Cheryl

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:45:21 PM PST
Cheryl says:
No problem Laura.

I enjoy reading, I've got an attractive Impressionist painting skin for the kindle and a good cover (so it looks really nice) and I like to think of it as a personal device but everytime I open the flap it jars me. I like peaceful things...

Anyway, I'm moving on... thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 3:46:02 PM PST
Like I said earlier, you should try contacting Customer Service to see if they have a way you can get the ads removed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions