Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

RAoK #51 Happy Holidays and heading for 2013!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 10000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 6:14:10 AM PST
Denise says:
We welcome you most merrily to our 2nd annual Holiday RAoK room. Please come in and share the warmth and joy with us. You'll find that our threads sometimes race along at breakneck speed but don't feel like you must keep up in order to be part of the conversation. Just jump in and have fun, like we do. We try very hard to be kind to everyone, so no need to feel intimidated.

Come right in, pull up a comfy chair, enjoy the crackling fire and the snacks we have set around the room. If you'd like to sing us a song, please feel free.

Now for the requisite warnings and tips:

To quote our founder Virgoddess (to remember why this thread was started - over 1 year ago): "The point of this thread is to spread the word. What "we" do is click on a username of a poster (any poster in the forum) and scroll to the bottom, find their wish list. If you click on a book *in* their wish list, you can send it to them - without exposing your email address to them, or theirs to you.

To participate, you don't have to do a thing (except make sure your wish list is public!). You are under no obligation to buy anyone anything. If you'd like to thank the person that sent you a gift (which is very much appreciated), you can post here. Please be sure to link to the book you received; all our wish lists have grown from seeing what others are reading. You can just join in our chit chat, too. The point is to be positive, and hopefully bring a smile to someone's face. This isn't about repaying, or anything like that. It's about giving - a shoulder, a book, a smile.

SOME TIPS: To send a book, simply click on the username here in the forum of the person you want to gift to. Scroll down, and you will hopefully see their wish list. Click on "see all x items" to pull up their entire list (do NOT click a book jacket from their profile page). You will see a yellow button, under the title saying "give as a gift" and click that. It will take you to the message screen, where you can change the "from" name, and add a note. Their email address will be "hidden" for privacy, but it will be sent to them.

To make your wish list public, pull up the list and there is a quick link on the upper right of every page, titled "Wish List" directly under the "Your Account" link. Click that. It will take you to your wish list. Directly under the title of your wish list, you will see a drop down menu, titled "Manage this list". Click that, and in the drop down, click "Change Privacy Settings" and make sure it says "Make list public".

SAFETY TIPS and INFORMATION: Follow the above instructions to get to your wish list. Again, click the "Manage this list" drop down menu. This time, select "Edit Settings" and this will bring you to a screen that shows your privacy settings. The name you see on the Name line is the name that is shown to people you GIFT books to. Simply change it to the name you're comfortable with and save. This will prevent your full name from being displayed on your gifts.

To make your wish list visible from your profile, you have to go into your profile and edit it. You need to change the middle section (wish list and registries) to show everyone. If you have that set to private but your wish list public, others can find your wish list through the search, but not your profile. If you change that wish list setting on your profile to everyone, you'll be good to go. That just makes the list visible from the profile, it doesn't change any other privacy settings you have.

To change your Account Name, you have to go to Your Account in the upper right corner then Change Account Settings and edit your name. This won't affect anything that I can see except what it shows at the top of the page when it says "Hi Cyndie" instead of "Hi Cyndie MyLastName". And all people will see on their Digital Orders that send me any gifts is Cyndie, not Cyndie MyLastName." (this last one is important, since it doesn't change anything in YOUR view, lots of people end up having their real names showing on their WL instead of their screen names. Also, you need to make that change separately for EACH public wish list.) It sounds complicated, but it really isn't, and it's well worth a few minutes' work.

**Finally, always remember RAOK's don't have to be books. They can be anything you do here or off the forum in your actual lives to do something nice for someone. No one is "keeping score" either. If someone does something nice for you, just find a way to pass it on.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:17:32 AM PST
yay! I found my way just fine.. nice intro Nisi. :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:18:01 AM PST
Denise says:
SEP had quite the finish to the last room, lol

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:18:04 AM PST
Jamester says:
*swooshes into the new room*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:18:49 AM PST
Denise says:
hey, a breeze!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:18:49 AM PST
K-Dub says:
Yay! Nice job, Denise =D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:18:54 AM PST
Jamester says:
Thanks for setting up the new room Nisi!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:19:05 AM PST
LOL yep!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:19:16 AM PST
thanks Denise

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:19:26 AM PST
Denise says:
we were zipping along so fast I didn't have much time to think about what to say, lol (but it had been quite a few rooms since I'd taken my turn)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:19:51 AM PST
Where's my chair? Did we bring Sven? I got this for him to wear for the holidays, it's a size L/XL so it should fit?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:19:55 AM PST
K-Dub says:
Denise - I know that there are still some Mayans and Mayan ancestery, etc. I'm just saying that's what some people think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:22 AM PST
Denise says:
I think I gave us a little wiggle room for either finishing up still in 2012 or having a slow thread

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:38 AM PST
K-Dub says:
You did beautifully! :) We got REALLY chatty the last few days!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:41 AM PST
Yikes - the old room closed right before my eyes. One minute I was typing the next the screen flashed and it was gone - a sure sign of the coming apocalypse

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:44 AM PST
Denise says:
lol! It's about time we gave Sven a break from tuxedos

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:45 AM PST
Well done, Nisi!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:46 AM PST
...and most of them are shaking their heads at the amount of nonsense spouted!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 6:21:38 AM PST
LOL! I was so far behind, coming to catch up after going to have my breakfast that I didn't even realize how close we were, and had NO idea I got last post!

<preens because she's still the only one to make a room hit 401 pages>

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:21:13 AM PST
Alpacca Lips. And where *is* Pipe these days?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:21:32 AM PST
But what cookies are you making that are so fiddly?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:21:38 AM PST
Denise says:
The Aztecs were completely obliterated and their calendar was nearly identical. I have a very heavy round coffee table with the Aztec calendar carved in marble in my living room. My parents bought it when we lived in Mexico and I just love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:21:44 AM PST
K-Dub says:
I wonder if we can fill up another thread before the end of the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:21:55 AM PST
yup, remember when we'd close a room in just a few days? sigh
: )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:22:11 AM PST
Denise says:
A sure sign. So should we hurry to finish this one before tomorrow as well? ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
34 8 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
121 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
change book for phone to my Kindle Fire 1 2 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat - July 29, 2014 10 7 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 9021 8 minutes ago
Kindle Unlimited For $9.99 Per Month 839 11 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1929 13 minutes ago
Please Improve Kindle! 44 13 minutes ago
Disappointed 111 14 minutes ago
kindle fire black screen 110 15 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions