Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Highlighting/Note Making on Kindle Fire & Book Transfer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2011 11:47:38 AM PDT
Have a question about the Kindle Fire and don't really know where to ask it, so I thought I would try here. When reading, will the Kindle Fire allow you to highlight in the books and make notes? I use my current Kindle for books related to my profession, so the ability to underline and make notes are important to me.

Also, will books on my current Kindle be available for reading on the Kindle Fire, should I choose to purchase one?

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 12:07:14 PM PDT
I am also interested in this question. Could someone from Amazon please answer this?

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 7:37:02 AM PDT
Im also concerned about the topic of this question. It a critical point ton consider buying it. I'm also concerned about highlighting word documents.

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 8:54:15 AM PDT
The current Kindle apps allow highlighting. It is unknown whether the Fire will use a different Android app, or the one currently available.

Of course, all books in your Amazon account are available on all devices registered to the same account.

Word documents are not supported by the Kindle itself, or by Kindle apps. DocumentsToGo supports Word documents, but I don't think it has highlighting. Check the DocumentsToGo (DataViz) web site for more details. There could be other apps that support Word docs.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 6:39:04 AM PDT
I love reading on Kindle. The weakest feature is the highlighting (not easy to see as simple underlining) and the way notes and highlights are organized. Each time you want to look for a highlight or note you have to go to the beginning of the note/highlight section. It would be so much better if you could at least just go to the current chapter instead of the beginning. I'm hoping that the Kindle Fire will have color highlighting and be better organized for viewing notes. Anyone know?

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 6:35:27 PM PDT
I too am interested in the possibility of highlighting on the Kindle Fire. I would want to see something that turned on highlighting for any content and allowed highlighting with a finger stroke in different places throughout the document. My current Kindle 3rd generation (now known as Kindle Keyboard) highlights quite easily (although as someone mentioned, the underlining is a bit difficult to see. I wonder how this will translate to a touch device.
By the way, does the iPad have a continuous highlighting system or app that does so. (Sort of the way you turn highlighting on in Word and then just use the mouse to highlight various places)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 7:38:18 AM PST
Pharmy says:
Hi,
I just received a Kindle Fire yesterday and while it took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure this out, you CAN highlight and make notes on the device. What you do is hold your finger down on the text until the highlighting tool comes up. At this point, you can drag to select the text you'd like to highlight and then you are given a number of menu options (such as note, highlight, search in book, search in Wikipedia, search in Google). Once you select the option it's smooth sailing.

Also, the highlighted portions and notes from your old Kindle will transfer onto the new Kindle, which is nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 8:25:45 AM PST
I am hearing reading text on the Fire is very difficult in direct sunlight. How bad is it? I was thinking of giving my kindle v1 to my wife and buying the Fire BUT I would still want to read (mostly) so is the Fire good enough as a reader or has it sacrificed the main reason I have a kindle to be a mobile video machine etc etc.

Thanks for your comment on the highlighting question!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:24:10 PM PST
Great. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 10:17:18 AM PST
Pharmy says:
Hello Richard,

I can't tell you for sure if it is difficult to read the Fire in direct sunlight, because it's been super overcast ever since I got the device and I haven't had the chance to try it. I am, however, planning to purchase an antiglare protective screen for mine to hopefully minimize any potential issue, since the device was bright enough on its own to give me a headache the first night I had it.

I was able to quickly figure out a few ways to minimize the brightness issue, though. First of all, you can directly adjust the brightness on the device and second (what I think is really cool), you can change the color scheme of what you're reading. It defaults to black text on a white background, but you can also do white text on a black background and dark brown text on a cream colored background. These options likely allow you to adapt and read in environments of various brightness. I have found that so far, I prefer the brown/cream color scheme. The yellow highlighting shows up on it just fine and since that initial brightness adjustment, I haven't come near having a headache from the device.

Hope that helps! If it clears up today, I'll try to see how it fares in the sunlight. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 10:32:09 AM PST
Thank you so much for the very detailed answer!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 5:36:38 PM PST
Jason Gold says:
But can you begin a highlight on one page and finish on the next page? I wasn't able to do this.

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 12:49:32 AM PST
Paul Sellnow says:
Is it possible to have a single highlight that spans from the end of one page across to the top of the next page? I seem to be stuck making two separate highlights for quotes that span a page break.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 11:35:48 AM PST
Chris O. says:
Now that Kindle Fire is a tablet, it would be great to see an app that allows the reader to use a stylus (or a not so stubby finger) to make notes on the margins or to highlight in different colors (think Microsoft Word highlighting feature). Is anyone aware of anything like this coming soon?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 8:48:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 8:58:20 PM PST
alksduo says:
Pharmy,

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/107555-five-free-kindle-fire-apps-sideload

If you follow that link, you'll find the app called "screen filter." Its great, as it allows you to override the factory settings for brightness at no cost. It makes it perfect for reading in dimly lit rooms too, if you adjust it to a low level.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 8:53:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2011 9:11:30 PM PST
alksduo says:
"Is it possible to have a single highlight that spans from the end of one page across to the top of the next page? I seem to be stuck making two separate highlights for quotes that span a page break."

I had that problem too-- the way I got around it was to either make the text larger or smaller, forcing the whole quotation onto one "page". After that, it was simple to highlight quotes divided strangely.

I also wish there were more functions for annotations, though. As a device aimed at bibliophiles, you'd think more ways we can "mark" up books would have manifested. I second what Chris O. said, a stylist (various uses) and increased amounts of highlighting options (differentiation,etc.) would be wondrous.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 1:00:53 PM PST
IRClocker says:
As Pharmy pointed out it is much to bright for a relaxing evening in the house and it is to me exiting how much less power I am consumming do to turning down the brightness. That being said we also answered your question as reading in the sun requires higher contrast and brightness on your device and you will definately have that covered. E-Ink Kindles are superior in sun - Yes. Are they very poor in low lighting such as your living room in the evening or at night in bed - of course, as they are to dark without back lighting. The fire is fantastic in dimmer lighting and less so in bright sun. Again very usable in the sun but e-Ink is awsome in the sun. Battery life - Well there you go - a little give and take on both sides. If you get it make sure you get in the habit of turning off your wireless as your battery life will improve considerably. That goes for all kindles with WI FI.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 1:19:12 PM PST
Thanks IR! I am now very close to buying my own - I was waiting to see if I would win my fantasy Football League (I did).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 4:05:26 AM PST
Pat Mesthos says:
Thanks, Pharmy!

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 10:29:58 PM PST
Benjamin Loh says:
Hello there,

I'm cool with the highlighting of notes on kindle fire.

Question though - is there any way you can copy/paste the notes to another App like Evernote?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 2:09:34 AM PST
plummcrazy says:
I highlight the first part of quote on the first page. Then return to the table of contents and select the newly created highlight. This returns me to the location where I can now see all text one page. I can then select all of the text in one highlight. Not a great solution, but it works.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:23:23 PM PDT
I just received my kindle fire last week. I have no trouble highlighting in pdf files or a book, but I can't find out how to highlight in my documents. Is there a way to do this or is there an app that can be purchased?

Posted on May 9, 2012 5:12:44 AM PDT
P. J. Carano says:
Do I have to download an app to be able to use a stylus on a Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:19:21 PM PDT
sadiayah says:
No just go right ahead and do what you want to do just like your finger. Just pick the style stylus you think suits your needs and use. Hope that helps

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 7:23:58 PM PDT
sadiayah says:
Thank you very much. Worked like a charm
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 5 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Dear Authors of Series books. 5 5 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed July 9, 2014 93 6 minutes ago
Quirky Children/Young Adult Book, called Monster Ballerina-Only 3 bucks! 0 6 minutes ago
FB&C--Free Books and Chat--Thursday July 10, 2014 5 8 minutes ago
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] 9756 8 minutes ago
What is a "kindle single"? 46 12 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD 7 13 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1028 17 minutes ago
I can't see my kindle screen outside. It's useless out of doors. 5 17 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions