Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

I keep getting the "Sign-in required"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 9:32:19 AM PST
Neil Petty says:
I keep getting the "Sign-in required ... The wifi network you are connecting to requires you to sign in before accessing the Internet."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:14:42 AM PST
Q says:
That's normal if you are logging onto a wifi network that requires a login (like my university) or an agreement (like B&N, Starbucks, McDonalds, public library, etc.).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:18:40 AM PST
Erich says:
Okay... so what's your question?

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 10:18:50 AM PST
It is also normal when the network is secured (and, perhaps, belongs to someone else).

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 10:57:17 AM PST
...but it's not normal to keep asking. Usually once a network is visited the Kindle remembers it (e-ink or Fire). The only time I've come across this was in a hotel where you had to resign in every 24 hours to validate your guest status.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:19:33 AM PST
Q says:
My univ's wifi is glitchy and it repeatedly asks for resigning in nearly every page I view.

That is a network issue, not a Fire issue. I would forget about it. It probably just is that way.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 11:23:15 AM PST
Can I change my password on my Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:32:00 AM PST
S. Prewitt says:
Yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:35:03 AM PST
 Ann says:
Depends. Which password and which Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:48:59 AM PST
Neil Petty says:
The fire is connected to the internet but every few minutes it pops up and ask "Sign-in required ... The wifi network you are connecting to requires you to sign in before accessing the Internet."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:51:12 AM PST
Neil Petty says:
Why does the fire keep asking to sign in? The internet works but the pop up is annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:52:28 AM PST
Neil Petty says:
This network is not password protected.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 12:56:55 PM PST
Erich says:
Except that it keeps asking you for a password. You need to contact whoever runs that network and ask them for help. Its unlikely that anyone here is going to have a solution.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 10:13:24 AM PDT
BCE says:
At work I get the "sign-in required" message but when I click ok, the sign in screen is completely blank.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 10:22:13 AM PDT
That's probably a work Network issue. Contact your IT department.

Some work networks use unusual security (normal for business networks tho) and that would be causing the issue. Your IT department will be best able to answer what the problem is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:58:44 PM PDT
BCE says:
I will contact them. Thanks for responding.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 8:48:30 AM PDT
I get the same thing on my Kindle Fire and it has only started recently. I am connected at home via wpa, and selected to remember the network. If I cancel the message, everything is fine. None of my other devices connected to the same network prompt like this.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 10:33:10 PM PDT
JHEnsor says:
I recently started having the same issue. The problem is, if I click cancel the Internet connection continues to work normally until the pop-up returned. If I click the "ok" (assuming it is going to take me to the wifi settings to sign in) it takes me to a Amazon page where I am already signed in.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 3:34:56 PM PDT
Oyster Girl says:
This has just started happening to me, too. Trying to use a mobile hotspot that I've used with no problem before. I disabled any password on the hotspot and am still getting the popup.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 7:43:38 PM PDT
JHEnsor says:
Oyster Girl,
If you click the "ok" button does it take you to a Amazon page like I described?

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:19:07 PM PDT
Neil Petty says:
Yes

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 9:29:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 9:50:14 AM PDT
Oyster Girl says:
Yes. My first thought was that my Fire had begun showing ads for Amazon every time I tried to connect.

Also, I have tried to use the same hotspot with a netbook, and the netbook connects just like it always has. I don't have another Android tablet to try, or I would experiment to see if it's unique to the Fire.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 7:07:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 24, 2012 9:46:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 7:21:04 AM PDT
Oyster Girl says:
I can't go anywhere through the browser now without a stop at Amazon's recommended page.

Enough is enough. I'm hearing good things about the Nexus. Time to go shopping.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 7:09:29 AM PDT
Oyster Girl says:
The Google Nexus 7 connects to both of my networks without a hitch. The Fire won't connect to the mobile hotspot without the Amazon detour between every pageload and connects to my home network with a detour every two or three pageloads. I'm now confident this is an issue with the Fire, not with either network. I can't think of a way to test if it's hardware failure or a software problem.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
What is clippingss 0 3 minutes ago
When I try to get my photo to ebay,it just opens the camera ! 8 6 minutes ago
Cannot add to carousel 0 9 minutes ago
Kindle Voice has taken over my Fire 3 11 minutes ago
My kindle fire just locked how do I unlock it 0 13 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9356 13 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 611 14 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3946 19 minutes ago
2015 Fire unable to see books on SD after factory reset 33 24 minutes ago
Mr.Spock son of Serek for President 12 24 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions