Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 102 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 11:02:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 11:09:48 PM PST
Robb says:
Good Morning.
Good Afternoon.
Or Good Evening.

You are welcome one and all to come in and join us as we attempt to keep our kindles fat and sassy with frequent one-click feedings.

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where people can see
Our troubles are all the same
You want to go where everybody knows your name

Aint it great we have someplace to go

()..()..()...()
║--║--║--║ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Birthday wishes to: nephew Nick - where today is tomorrow so happy 28th. Chocolate chip cookies are on their way....

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。
★。\|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★
..............HAPPY........ BIRTHDAY.........
★。\|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★★ \|/ ★
*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Second things second
** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link
to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors"
area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Birthday and Anniversary link. *******NEW ADDRESS*******

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!225&authkey=!AKPFhMjMoPLl7y8

http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
http://us.kinlib.com
dailyfreebooks.com
`
To get today's updates:

Kinlib:
US: http://us.kinlib.com/feed/
UK: http://uk.kinlib.com/feed/
*The "feed" link provides all available updates.

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STARTER SCHEDULE

Lover of Books - Friday, Nov. 30 Start Time 12:30am PST
KayKay - Sat, Dec 1 - Start time 12:30-1:30 EST
KayKay - Sun Dec 2 Start time 12:30-1:30 EST
Leonard Little - Monday, Dec 03: Start Time 12:30 PST or a bit earlier
IrishM - Tuesday Dec 04: start time: 5-6 am EST (or so)
SDR Marla- Wednesday, December 5 start time: 8-9 AM EST
Robb - Thursday, December 06 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Lover of Books - Friday, December 7th Start Time 12:30am PST
TnT - Saturday, December 8 start time by 7AM CST
Robb - Friday, December 14 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST

Open Dates:
Sunday, December 9
Monday, December 10
Tuesday, December 11
Wednesday, December 12
Thursday, December 13
Saturday, December 15
Sunday, December 16

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Don't forget the book discussion for RISE OF THE DRAKYN (Sword of Souls) is being held on Friday, December 7 so if you haven't read the book yet you might want to start soon I hope all volunteers are still available and will speak up if anything has changed so we can make alterations if necessary...

///@@@@@@@@*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***@@@@@@@@\\\

...........Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Here is the link to yesterday's thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg3?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=3&cdThread=TxBW1B3AHOLQ7A

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:04:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 11:12:29 PM PST
Robb says:
The last trip I took you on went to the cool and foggy PNW of Twilight

Today we are going to head a tad south of there. Grab some warm - I mean WARM - clothes, coats, hats and gloves because baby it is could be cold outside - and head to the magic carpet shuttle. We are heading to Antarctica. Specifically the United States McMurdo research station on Ross Island, Antarctica.

Bet you thought you would never make it to Antarctica. Neither did I.

Fortunately the shuttle takes minutes not hours. Again, they are spacious, fully enclosed shuttles equipped with snacks and every beverage (except starbucks) you could want. The warm clothes are in case you decide to get out and wander around a bit.

As you can see Nov 30th is my nephew Nick's 28th Birthday which is why today is already tomorrow. He is now working on his PHD and is doing some research at the McMurdo Research Station in Antarctica. I would love to go but will have to be content with having been in southern New Zealand and thru his pictures. We sent him some Trader Joe's chocolate chip cookies for his birthday. A story for another time.

Any way I thought I would share some of the pictures he has posted. He was supposed to heading down on Halloween but Sandy delayed his departed a couple of days.

Greetings from nephew Nick (AKA Tyr ).

Hello all!
This will be a quick e-mail letting you (mum specifically) know that I have arrived safely four days ago and to tell you a bit about why I am here. I will also attach some pretty pictures.

I am here to help prepare and then launch a stratospheric balloon borne telescope for astronomy. We specifically look at warm gas clouds in the galaxy that are active star forming reason. We are trying to gather data that will resolve some various theories on the process of star formation. However, the light we want to look at tends to be blocked by the atmosphere so we launch our telescope on a large helium balloon to get above it. We launch it down here because there are air currents that carry the balloons around the pole in about two weeks after which they drop by parachute back onto the ice sheet so we can go and get them back. This gives us the benefit of retrieval and low risk as penguins don't much care about telescopes falling out of the sky.

I will be down here about 2 months. The first month will mostly be putting the telescope together and then the second month we will be testing extensively and making any adjustments we need to become flight ready. We hope to launch in early January, weather permitting, and that is about when I will be heading back to the states, unless they need me down here longer.

I live in a dormitory with one other roommate also a scientist though he studies fish. It is part of the United States McMurdo research station on Ross Island. So am at the edge of Antarctica below New Zealand, Google maps can locate it if you are curious. At this time of year (summer) it functions like a small town with over 1000 people here. There is an airstrip on the ice sheet, a galley where everyone eats, several gyms, hiking trails, and three bars. There is almost always something going on and with activities and work I am never bored.

I work at the Long Duration Ballooning (LDB) base which is located about 3 miles out on the ice sheet (nearest land is 20-30 miles straight across it). We are one of three projects that will launch this year and we are all working 7 days a week to get ready.

This is proving to be a very interesting and unique opportunity and I'm sure I will enjoy it though it is quite tiring and I will enjoy being back home. I am already looking forward to seeing the sun set again, just goes in circles here which is a touch confusing. Temperatures are already warming up, have yet to see anything below zero and it only goes up from here (until February).

If you would like a letter or postcard from Antarctica please send me your address as I haven't made a habit of keeping anyone's physical addresses handy. Miss you all and would love to hear back!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

***For pictures, please put the following in your browser

http://sprng.me/l56e5ksaax8fOysvOzs1nLz57LyJ3MycuaycaezZ3PncnHz53Kmw2

***Just click on the picture to enlarge it as well as get a description of the photo

@**If you didn't check out my recipe example here is another example of Spring Pad possibilities.**@

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:05:25 PM PST
Robb says:
Fun Factoids

Antarctica is the highest, driest, windiest, emptiest, coldest place on earth.

An ice sheet covers all but 2.4 percent of Antarctica's 14 million square kilometers.

At its thickest point the ice sheet is 4,776 meters deep and averages 2, 160 meters thick. This is 90 percent of all the world's ice and it is 70 percent of all the world's fresh water.

There are lots of penguins, whales, seals, krill (the main food for whales), and even fish in Antarctica's waters, but there are no land mammals and, as far as scientists know, no native peoples.

Eskimos and polar bears are found in the ARCTIC, not the Antarctic.

The mean annual temperature at the South Pole is minus 56 degrees F. During the Austral Summer, temperatures at McMurdo base, on the Ross Sea, may get as high as 40 degrees F, while at the South Pole, at the Amundsen- Scott station, temperatures may reach 0 degrees F.

The area below 60 degrees south enjoys one long day and one long night each year. The sun sets in March and rises in October.

The seasons in Antarctica are the opposite of the seasons in the Northern hemisphere--summer is October through February. Winter is March through September.

The continent is roughly 14 million square kilometers (5.4 million square miles). The USA is only 9.36 million square kilometers (3.6 million square miles). The distance from Washington, D.C. to McMurdo station is approximately 14,830 kilometers, or 9,920 miles.

Scientists work on all kinds of unique projects in Antarctica, including penguins, Antarctic cod (they have a special antifreeze agent in their blood!), whales, seals, global warming, climatology, meteorites, glaciology, astronomy, volcanoes, UV radiation, and more. Scientists also study humans in Antarctica, doing research on how the human body adapts to cold and how the human mind and heart react to extreme isolation.

The Antarctic continent wasn't even actually seen until 1820. No man set foot in Antarctica until 1895. The first human landing there is claimed by Henryk Bull, with a party from a whaling ship. They landed at Cape Adare . It was 1935 before the first woman set foot there. Her name was Catherine Mikkelson, and she was the wife of a Norwegian whaling captain. The South Pole was first reached by a Norwegian named Roald Amundsen in 1911, and shortly after by British explorer Robert Scott.

Most tourists who visit Antarctica visit the Antarctic Peninsula, which is accessible from Chile. There the climate is mild in comparison with the rest of the continent, and is teaming with wildlife. This part of Antarctica is sometimes called the "Banana Belt."

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:06:07 PM PST
Robb says:
The entire fun factoids list can be found the same place the pictures are:

http://sprng.me/l56e5ksaax8fOysvOzs1nLz57LyJ3MycuaycaezZ3PncnHz53Kmw2

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

If you would like your name added to the birthday and or anniversary list, just tell me the date(s) and I will add it to the list.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I hope you take some time to join us down in Antarctica.

Peace
Later

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:34:45 AM PST
Wow Robb - that was really interesting. I didn't realize that there were no polar bears down "south". I always pictured them on both ends of the world. Your nephew sounds like a great guy and is fortunate to be able to visit and work there.

I'm sure the sun going is circles would make me dizzy. LOL
Thanks for sharing. :)

Marilyn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:23:31 AM PST
Lyn says:
You are welcome.
Nick does enjoy himself.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:38:54 AM PST
Suze says:
Great start Robb!

Happy Birthday to Nick....loved the photos! What a cool adventure, was he like this as a kid??

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 4:41:48 AM PST
Suze says:
@ LKS,

You are a good MomMom! Did you choose your "Grandma name" yourself? How many grand kids do you have?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:01:07 AM PST
Lyn says:
Nick and his older sister are both unique. I'll be filling some of the "bump" spots with a tale or two about Nick.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:22:04 AM PST
One from my wish list Christmas Dog, The I love all the free Christmas books--I'm going to be set for years to come!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:24:51 AM PST
Robb says:
You and TNT should get together and see which books you both have and which you "missed".

:)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:26:27 AM PST
Irish M says:
Wow, very interesting, thanks Robb! I love the places we go on here.

@Terry: try the Kahlua, hazelnut flavors. My favorite (if you have a Dunkin Donuts near you) is the DD brand Kcups, only sold in their stores. From the grocery store, the Folgers Dark Silk is pretty good too.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:36:10 AM PST
Suze says:
Good Morning!

Cold, sunny day here. I am headed over for my once-a-week visit to walk my "grandson dog". He is 2 1/2 now. When he was a puppy I would put him back into his crate saying, "Grandma's going bye-bye now, but I'll be back!" I've said this phrase for 30 years, first to toddler sons, then to 2kitties, using "Mommy instead of Grandma, of course!

So a few months ago Stan and I were playing on the floor and I looked at my watch and said the phrase, apparently the first time he wasn't back in crate. He immediately froze and looked at me and came over and plopped down on my lap, looking sad and wouldn't let me leave!! All 50 lbs. of him! New photo of him on my profile......just love that guy!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:05:14 AM PST
Robb says:
Love the hat. I would have to Photoshop one on Bailey. :)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:05:25 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Good morning, y'all! Currently bundling up to take a walk on the South side, but wanted to do a shout out to dharts, sandy shops, irish m, for the Keurig coffee Kcup suggestions - dharts, I agree, a sampler is the way to go - but I wanted a few teas in there, (and now one dark hot chocolate) so I found one on Amazon that will let me pick what I want in my 30-cup sampler, as long as they have it in stock, I get it. That is why the question about what anybody might have tried. I will end up paying more per kcup, but have a nice variety to offer. The whole list of choices is in the description here...

http://www.amazon.com/COFFEE-FLAVORs-Sampler-K-cups-choosing/dp/B006ZPJKZA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354200518&sr=8-6&keywords=keurig+k+cups+30+sampl

newmom, I had downloaded the Xmas books I had not read from last year to my Paperwhite, then last night finished adding the new ones from this week - plus I shamefully admit to purchasing a few on sale by favorite authors, so I am up to 63.

And now I will indulge in a recommendation. Keep an eye out for A Season of Angels (Angels Everywhere) NOT EVER FREE to see if it gets marked down - won't go free, it is Harper Collins - but if you love sappy, heartwarming, overdone Xmas spirit, this one is a must read -sort of romance, sort of relationships, a touch of faith but not overdone, plus a group of well-intentioned angels. I admit I reread this one each season after I finish reading A Christmas Carol out loud. Now, it might be that I read it at the right time and place, and that is why it still warms my heart, so you might try your libraries and discounted books first.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:10:38 AM PST
S. King says:
Good morning, evening, afternoon, or night! ;) @Robb: fun and informative start to the day, your nephew sounds like a character from an interesting book. Speaking of books, I grabbed the link from this one and plan to read it next. What can I say? I am a sucker for Christmas- and fuzzy creatures. This one sounds interesting, and fun. Spending Christmas with a Yeti Hope folks are doing something enjoyable and finding the perfect book that makes you say, "Wow!"

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:11:22 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
Good day, everyone.
Robb, thank you for the visit to Antarctica. One place I never dreamed of going, it's cold there, very, very cold. I did notice Nick was wearing a short sleeved t-shirt in one of the pics. The Mommy in me wants to say, "Put on a jacket, or at least, a long sleeve shirt. Boy, don't you know it's cold?!?" lol

This one seemed perfect for today:
Going to Antarctica

Going to Antarctica is the story of a seasoned traveler preparing and then setting out for the trip of a lifetime. Told from the perspective of a global adventurer, Going to Antarctica provides a delightful mix: on the one hand, practical travel tips, suggestions and advice; and, of course, the anecdotes, colorful descriptions, and stories that made the journey so memorable. The excursion follows the ship as it navigates through the Drake Passage. Then the team sets out on land, through the wilderness, and encounters the wildlife of the southernmost desert in the world. The explorers have some amazing experiences along the way, including camping in Antarctica. This is a must-read story for anyone contemplating a trip to the crystal desert, for lovers of wildlife, and for anyone fascinated with this foreign, frozen wonderland.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:23:16 AM PST
Suze says:
@ Robb

I must confess...I added a sticker hat to Stanley's graduation photo!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:25:02 AM PST
Suze says:
@ thanks TnT

I just ordered the Angel book from my library. What about the other books where she continues with the same characters? Looks like there is a brand new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:26:34 AM PST
Robb says:
He is a PNW boy. He skis. He was running around (okay walking) around the U of Penn campus in a light jacket, shorts and sandals when everyone one else wasn't. I hear they did look at him strangely.

Off to one click "Going to Antartica"

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:42:12 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
@Suze I love Stan's hat. Scamp won't wear one. We got him one for the Christmas parade and he just sits with his head down and refuses to move. Then he knocks it off. He's made every effort to chew it up if he can get a hold of it.

@Robb I've always (secretly) thought something strange happens to people that come from colder climates. They just don't seem to notice it's cold. We were in Michigan one January and it was 23 below zero with wind chill. We were freezing. Hubby was wearing suit with shirt, tshirt, and jacket along with a wool overcoat. He said it felt like the wind was cutting through it all. They didn't seem to think it was sooo bad!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:46:50 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
@Suze
They are good, but never hit me at the same level that the first one did. Maybe more romance/predictable. Back when the first one came out, nobody did a story about a woman dealing with infertility, for instance. - Where Angels Go had a story about a senior citizen that was great - I didn't see the new one, will have to check out my library! Thanks!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:47:54 AM PST
Irish M says:
Methinks I am going to try that coffee sampler! There are so many flavors that I want to try but not get the whole box. So many of them are not around by me. Forgot to add that the Mudslide is absolutely amazing! Thanks for the link!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:54:10 AM PST
bethcross says:
Hi everyone! Quick posts here to check-in before heading off to work. Hope it is busier there today - veeeerry slow yesterday. Beginning to think people are done shopping already and I haven't even started!

From the Archives:
The Dirty Parts of the Bible -- A Novel (Every time this one comes up, I post it. This is a terrific book - very well written with a great story. Ignore the bad reviews from fundamentalists and pick it up if you have't already.)
Cades Cove: The Curse of Allie Mae (Cades Cove Series #1) (I got this in a box set, Vampires, Ghosts & Gods when it was offered free a couple weeks ago. I notice it's now selling for $8.99!!!)
Castle Cay (Julie O'Hara Mystery Series) (Sept 29)
Don't Know Where, Don't Know When (The Snipesville Chronicles)
Waiting for Armando (Kate Lawrence Mysteries) (Oct 19)
Ghost Fire (The Ghost Files #3) (June 13)
The Colony (Jim Jovian mystery) (May 12)
The Yellow Scarf (This is a short story set in the 1960's with mention of the Rolling Stones & Alistair Crowley. It is a GREAT period piece and was the first thing I read by Barrymore Tebbs. I really love this up-and-coming author. I think he is superb and anytime any of his writing is offered free, I would recommend grabbing it. And no - I am not Barrymore Tebbs nor am I related to him in any way - although he did contact me through Good Reads or Shelfari to thank me for a review I wrote. Nice, nice guy as well.)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:56:09 AM PST
bethcross says:
New Today:
Tab Bennett and the Inbetween (Princess of Twilight and Dawn)
Idiots I've Seen Naked
The Conjurer's Boy
The Paper Doll Museum (Taylor Blake Paranormal Mystery) (Really happy to get this - abigail padgett is an author I automatically 1-click and this looks to be the start of a new series)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  102
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions