Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

First Charge - How Long

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2008 11:06:26 AM PDT
Meira says:
My Kindle came in 15 minutes ago and I plugged it in to charge. I am leaving on a road trip in approx 4 hours. Will that be enough time? Should it get a full overnight charge the first time? I don't want to ruin the battery. Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 11:15:59 AM PDT
P. M. H. says:
It takes 2 hours to fully charge the battery. I would be sure to take the charger along on your trip to recharge when needed. Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 11:18:33 AM PDT
Meira says:
Thanks, P.M.H! I appreciate the prompt response. I'm excited. I didn't want to mess it up on the first day. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 1:31:48 PM PDT
Also, you can't ruin the battery by overcharging. Overnight is the only time mine gets charged.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2008 10:33:58 AM PDT
I charge mine until the light goes out. Sometimes I unplug it before it is finished to read it elsewhere and then plug it back in when I am done. It obviously takes longer to charge the lower the charge is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2008 10:42:28 AM PDT
My Kindle arrived yesterday and I plugged it in to read the instructions (as advised). After maybe ten minutes I noticed the little yellow charging light was out. My Kindile had arrived fully charged! Check the light...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 2:44:34 AM PDT
Piaw Na says:
If you've just loaded a ton of new books to the Kindle, do not use sleep mode. Otherwise, the processor goes crazy indexing all those new books, and you'll arrive at your destination with an empty battery. Turn it off until you can plug it in overnight, and leave it on sleep mode while charging. That way the indexing happens while you have a power source.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 5:40:52 AM PDT
fairbrooks says:
Also, On page 22 of the "About Your Kindle" booklet that came with your Kindle, there are some tips for conserving battery life. They recommend not letting the battery completely drain:

"The Kindle battery will have a much longer life if you charge it
frequently, rather than waiting until it is fully drained to charge it."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2009 10:33:25 AM PST
Miss V says:
where did you get an instruction book just got mine from amazon with a little black pamphlet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2009 10:36:33 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
Same question as Mss V: What booklet?

Posted on Dec 19, 2009 11:41:42 AM PST
CathyB says:
The guide is pre-installed on your Kindle. It should show up on the "home" page. It is also available to download to your computer--I think the link is on the Manage Your Kindle page, but honestly I forgot where I downloaded it from.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2009 12:54:48 PM PST
ShirleyKat says:
The link is on the main page where Amazon describes Kindle.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 4:30:37 AM PST
I wish it came with a booklet.I'm new to these new toys so would have enjoyed abooklet to read through before using this.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 2:40:37 AM PDT
Gil says:
I received my Kindle touch yesterday and plugged it into my USB port to charge. It has been charging for 12 hours now and still no green light. Any ideas as to how long this first charge will take or is there something else that I need to do?

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 2:49:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012 2:50:41 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
not all usb ports can charge kindles - try another one

myself, I use a wall plug as it's faster and far more convenient (I never take my computer on vacation)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:56:39 PM PST
Thea Hansen says:
My paperwhite just arrived. It's on a yellow charge light, plugged into the wall. Anxious to read some instructions I touched something and scrolled through language choices. I missed English somehowm and lots of stuff loaded in Japanese. What do I do to erase this.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:01:31 PM PST
Thea Hansen says:
My paperwhite just arrived. It's on a yellow charge light, plugged into the wall. Anxious to read some instructions I touched something and scrolled through language choices. I missed English somehowm and lots of stuff loaded in Japanese. What do I do to erase this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:02:56 PM PST
You may want to start a separate thread with a title that mentions the language problem. I know someone posted the instructions in the past month or so. With a more appropriate title he/she may see it and respond.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:19:56 PM PST
Gil says:
Hi Thea,
Unfortunately I purchased mine about a month before the new models came out and they may have changed things. I think the other person who responded to your question was right, start a new thread. Another option you have, and I would suggest it to get a quick answer, is to contact amazon. After you are signed in scroll to the bottom of any page and click on Help on the right hand side. After you click on that you will see Contact Us in an orange box on the right. It will ask you to enter your question and if you do not get your answer you will be allowed to write them. They usually get back to you within an hour. I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:27:24 PM PST
Thea - To change the language on the Paperwhite:

You don't need to do the words, just count and this works for all languages.

From the Home Screen
- Menu (three lines in upper right corner)
- 2nd from the bottom Listing (Settings)
- 4th Listing (Device Options)
- 5th Listing (Language and Dictionaries)
- 1st Listing (Language)

English or whatever language you want
Ok
Ok/Accept

The Paperwhite will reboot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:49:10 PM PST
Thea Hansen says:
Hi, thank you!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:47:38 PM PST
Thea Hansen says:
Thanks 4 the heads up

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 3:17:20 PM PST
This is why people faithfully buy Apple products and nothing else. Screw all other manufacturers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 3:22:11 PM PST
R. Acoya says:
Bye bye then. Why on earth would you hang out on an Amazon Kindle forum if you've no interest in anything but the Apple conglomerate?

Or did you search specifically for an old thread to resurrect?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:38:22 PM PST
Snortly says:
Just got the Kindle Fire a week ago. I have an outlet that has USB outlets installed into it. at first my Kindle would charge fully, until the green light turned on and it took about four hours. Then, today I left it on the charger for eleven hours and it is only 3/4 charged. Should I return it? Is it bad to use it if it hasn't fully charged?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions