Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon Needs to Improve Android support

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 6:31:10 AM PST
I own a Kindle Touch but bought for tablet bought Nexus 7. Even though Kindle tablets compare favorably against other tablets in many spec, I just don't like to be tied to a store. And Nexus can use my library app for beautiful library borrowing and reading experience through Overdrive Media app.

That said I have Kindle and Nook apps as well on my Nexus 7. The disappointment is that the Kindle app on Android jelly bean is poor in aesthetics compared to many others. Often a book is available for a better price at Amazon than Google store or B&N. So I keep all options open.

Other other big thing is that Amazon Instant Video doesn't work outside of Kindle tablet. This is lame since I already pay to prime. I can use on my Roku. Why not support on Android tablets? I will be much less motivated for Prime in future.

Another point - prime book lending only works on a Kindle device. This does not make sense other than prompting people to buy Amazon devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:35:34 AM PST
"Another point - prime book lending only works on a Kindle device. This does not make sense other than prompting people to buy Amazon devices."

Amazon is a retail establishment. Retail establishments do things to prompt people to buy from them. That is what they are supposed to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:36:07 AM PST
Meya says:
I am able to watch Amazon videos through the browsers on my Thrive, on any computer, as well as my Fire HD, and on my television through a Roku.

The Kindle Owners' Lending Library is for Kindle devices. It is only 1 book per month, not really a big deal for those who read on an app and not a Kindle. It is a perk for those who bought a Kindle. You can't use a Sam's Club membership card at BJ's. Same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:40:08 AM PST
It is not the same. The perk is associated with Prime Membership, not with Kindle purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:41:29 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Kindle tablets are not for everybody. Sounds like you bought what you wanted. I don't see anything wrong with the Kindle App for Android. It does what it is supposed to do. Show the words of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:41:51 AM PST
Dittie says:
The perk is called the Kindle *Owners* Lending Library. It's Amazon's product. It seems to me they can create whatever perks they want.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:42:21 AM PST
Meya says:
The perk has some prerequisites. You have to be a paid Prime member, and you have to use an actual Kindle device. You have to meet those two standards.

It is one borrowed book per month. One. Uno. Not worth getting your shorts in a twist over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:43:02 AM PST
~nospin says:
No- it is associated with both. You must be a Prime member and own a kindle.
That is why it is called the KOLl- Kindle Owners Lending Library

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:43:30 AM PST
What is not the same? Videos can be viewed on other devices. They are not associated with Kindles, except you can use a Fire to view them.

The Kindle OWNERS Lending Library is associated with purchasing BOTH Prime and a Kindle. That's why it's called the Kindle OWNERS Lending Library.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:54:22 AM PST
Ok, for all of you, I do appreciate the fact that a company is free to design it's incentives anyway it wants and it is the customer's choice whether they like it or not. I totally get it. The suggestion is not create free give-aways to Amazon customers but support different customer needs by expanding their horizon a little. It has business value in many cases but only Amazon executives can determine if it is valuable model for them.

It may not be too much to support Android tablets for video when it already supports computers and it's own tablet which is also android-based (but a prior version OS).

The statement that prime lending is associated with both prime and Kindle purchase is correct - agreed. My suggestion to them would be to allow on apps as well as Kindle branded devices. It is a wish that I myself think that Amazon will ignore now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:56:16 AM PST
Meya says:
You can watch videos on android. Do it though the browser. It works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:59:16 AM PST
It works even better on the big screened Samsung Galaxy s3. Boo-yah!

(I love my phone)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:01:51 AM PST
Dittie says:
My understanding is that Amazon pays the copyright holder for each and every e-book lent. Assuming that's correct, I'd think Amazon is more likely to do away with the KOLL than to make it available on non-Kindle brand devices.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:06:18 AM PST
Amazon's decisions are, and will continue to be, market-driven. Now that the android os has "taken off", I suspect that we'll see more android support in the future and wouldn't be surprised if Amazon decides in the near future to abandon its own customized android os in favor of stock android.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:11:07 AM PST
Being a little technical, you can't consider using the app as owning a Kindle because you don't own apps, you license them. So, based on that, there's no reason to think you'd ever be able to consider an app (which you didn't pay for because it's free!) as something that should give you access to the KOLL.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions