Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite available in Canada?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012 7:52:26 PM PDT
Karen Price says:
The Paperweight isn't available in Canada, and so far no mention of when it will be. Anyone have any information on that?
What about if I was to order one from the States, have it shipped to a friend and have them send it to me - would it still work in Canada?

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 8:01:51 PM PDT
motleyman says:
Karen, I too am from Canada and yes, it would work since the kindle touch 3g works well in canada, Amazon just refused to sell it to us, I myself is selling my kindles and going with Google Nexus 7 at least they will apprecate my buisness.

Good luck to you

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 8:03:22 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
There is usually a 2-3 month delay so they can make sure they can meet the demand for the US Christmas holiday season before they open it up to international sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 8:09:36 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
There you go. At least you have a plan...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 9:51:30 PM PDT
Jonas says:
Actually, as far as I'm aware, the old versions of Kindle Fire are *still* not available in Canada. At least they weren't when I checked nine months post release. Mind you, I have no interest in the Fires, but I had friends that did. I just want a Paperwhite.

So, no, I wouldn't expect this to change. I've never seen Amazon change availability when it comes to countries.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 5:53:58 AM PDT
motleyman says:
The fire is not sold in Canada but the rest of the devices are, so why not paperwhite, makes no sense to me

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:01:06 AM PDT
Alex P. says:
motleyman,

The rest of the devices didn't start out available to Canadians. Amazon releases the new Kindles to the US first and then 2-3 months later they introduce the "international" version. I am guessing the Kindle Paperwhite will be available to Canadians around mid to late January.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 6:12:11 AM PDT
motleyman says:
Yeah I know, just dissapointing is all, I will just wait it out Kindle makes the best readers no doubt so i will suck it up lol lol and wait

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 6:02:29 PM PDT
Jonas says:
@Alex P: Yes, in fact, they did start out immediately available in Canada. I bought my Kindle 3G day #1.

The first gen Kindle Fires? Still not available in Canada. Check the int'l site, they're not there. The new Kindle Fires and Paperwhites won't be made available in Canada in a few months nor in a few years.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 9:29:55 PM PDT
D. Madureira says:
As a Canadian, it'd be nice to at least be able to pre-order the unit before christmas. At least that way I could print the pre-order as a present and put that in my stocking for a christmas surprise. Better then making my recipient wait until January with nothing.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 9:35:35 PM PDT
Quickstrike says:
I remember being able to order the 3G models on the first day release. Really wanted to preorder the new model :(.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 10:55:54 AM PDT
Why does Amazon do this? Is the Canadian govt causing problems for its citizens? Obviously we buy a lot of ebooks. Explain why we can't buy Kindle Serials? Is that a supply & demand issue too. PO'ed in Canada. Long live Apple & Google.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 11:01:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 11:03:23 AM PDT
Karen, from my experience of gifting Kindle's there is no issue at all with e-ink editions. The only device I have seen issues is the Kindle Fire.

ETA: Do you have a friend in the US who could gift you a Paperwhite? I suppose you could sort out payment any way you choose.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 11:02:53 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Amazon does this so they can make sure that they have enough supply for the US Christmas shopping season.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 7:08:50 AM PDT
TAMER Y says:
Don't we buy books from Amazon too? I really don't get it. As a Canadian, I say we should think about supporting other e-reader company that respects the Canadian customer.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 9:15:34 AM PDT
Agree 100% I wanted to purchase this device for my mom, for Xmas. It would be her first E-reader.. now sadly I will have to wait. Bad for business

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 9:21:15 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
It is good business. They want to supply their largest market first. They are having a hard time just keeping up with the US sales. If you look on the product page now it says if you order today expect to ship in 4-6 weeks and they changed the limit to 2 per person instead of 5.

If they threw in international orders then the wait would be even longer. Amazon has always staggered the release. The touch took 5 months before it was released for international sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 9:28:01 AM PDT
Jonas says:
>>Don't we buy books from Amazon too? I really don't get it. As a Canadian, I say we should think about supporting other e-reader company that respects the Canadian customer.

To add insult to injury, the pricematching that Amazon does for B&N only applies to US customers. There were a number of Neil Gaiman books that dropped to $2.99 and are "temporarily unavailable in Canada." Because the publishers set the prices different, and they seem to think if there's a price drop it only applies to the US. Losing faith here.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 9:31:34 AM PDT
I'm telling you, it's just Amazon's scheme to get you to apply for statehood.

Or maybe it has something to do with market size?

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 6:51:54 PM PDT
Amazon Kindle, News release: "Due to overwhelming demand for the Kindle Paperwhite 6" ereader, orders will be restricted to the USA until inventory reaches such levels to accommodate International orders. Thank you for your interest in this produce and for your continued patience and loyalty."
Maybe you Kindle folks should get your people to post something considerate like my statement above somewhere on your website. I am available to tweak the 'copy' for you, compensation would be 1 Paperwhite ereader ;-)

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 11:03:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 11:04:20 AM PDT
While I too lament being unable to order a Kindle Paperwhite and have it shipped straight to my Canadian address, here's a tip for those shopping in Canadian dollars on the Kindle Store -- you can set your location to the US and it will show you US prices instead, with that state's corresponding taxes, this is particularly useful for travelers so they can shop in their home country's store while on vacation. Just FYI, look in your account's settings when signed in to change your digital (Kindle) location.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 6:47:00 AM PDT
Brandon says:
I am a Canadian. If I bought a Kindle Paperwhite in the US and brought it back to Canada, will it work in Canada on my account. My account is obviously a Canadian account. When I spoke to an Amazon person, she said no.

Could somebody give a definitive answer to this???

I don't want to wait until hell freezes over for them to start shipping here.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:54:15 AM PDT
As far as I know, it should work just fine. It's the Fires that have the restrictions, due to the nature of licensing/distribution contracts and regulations. You should be able to access exactly the same content with the PaperWhite that you can with any other e-ink Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 7:20:59 AM PDT
Brandon says:
Thanks for the answer. I wish there was somebody who has actually done this, so I could be certain. They could block me based on the fact that my account is from Canada. It's not likely, but possible. I don't want to go through the effort of buying one and then finding out it cannot work.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:42:52 AM PDT
Bixillarla says:
It will work fine, there have been posts from many people in various countries who have had relatives get a PW for them and they have had no issues with it working.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Al's Place 35mm 2904 1 minute ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 6171 1 minute ago
Confused about Kindle Unlimited - audio books 100 4 minutes ago
Kindle Question 2 5 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage .. the return of.. wait for it... page turn buttons 38 6 minutes ago
HDX Battery drains rapidly when using Origami cover on Instant Video 211 7 minutes ago
Kindle Free Time password issue 61 8 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 4854 10 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 5772 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  104
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions