Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

False advertising, Amazon Instant Video on Android

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 875 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012 2:37:08 PM PDT
Kyle Borth says:
Buy once, enjoy everywhere? The Kindle Fire description says "The books, VIDEOS, apps, audiobooks, games, and music that you buy for your Kindle Fire HD can also be enjoyed on Amazon apps for Windows, Mac, ANDROID, iOS, game consoles, TVs and more." But there is currently no app that lets you watch Amazon Instant Video on Android devices, which is very disappointing, especially when you consider the fact that they've already done most of the work in creating a Kindle Fire video app.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 8:51:16 AM PDT
Agreed, this is very disappointing. Android has a much higher market share than iOS, and yet things are always developed for Apple first while Android is ignored. I know that I will be dropping my Prime membership until this issue is resolved, as it's not worth the $80 per year if I can't get access to the free video content.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 8:53:14 AM PDT
Just Theo says:
If you have access to a web browser on your android phone, you can watch movies on it.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 9:21:25 AM PDT
Leumas says:
There is no need for an App. Just use your browser just like you do on your PC and go to the Amazon instant video web site and play the videos just like you do on your PC's browser.

If you bought the video then it is also stored on your Cloud Drive at Amazon....again use your browser and go to your Cloud Drive and download it from there to your Android and use the Video Player on your Android to play the MP4 file.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 9:35:45 AM PDT
LynnL says:
I'd also very much like to see a dedicated Android app for Amazon instant video, but in the meantime, the browser works ok as an alternative for my Android tablet. I really do hope Amazon will develop an app, but Prime is so valuable to me in other ways, I'd never consider dropping it for this reason.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 9:24:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 9:25:19 PM PDT
Eric Maddox says:
Amazon Instant Video can no longer be used on any new tablet through a web browser. This is because Adobe Flash has dropped it's support of the Android software beyond version 4.0. So, no Amazon Instant Video on my tablet. Very disappointing!

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 9:25:34 PM PDT
Eric Maddox says:
Amazon Instant Video can no longer be used on any new tablet. This is because Adobe Flash has dropped it's support of the Android software beyond version 4.0. So, no Amazon Instant Video on my tablet. Very disappointing!

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 9:28:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 9:28:22 PM PDT
Eric - If you load a browser that already supports Flash, it works fine. I just loaded Firefox and Dolphin HD on my Toshiba tablet and both have Flash support. What are you using? Chrome?

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 9:31:35 PM PDT
Alicia says:
You can still use flash you just need a browser that supports it. I have a Nexus 7 and my Ausus TF300 both have Jelly Bean and I'm able to stream Prime Videos no problem. I had to sideload flash player and I use Firefox browser on both tablets.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 8:12:03 PM PDT
J. Limandri says:
bait and switch, they really should refund me for all the movies i purchased!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 8:20:49 PM PDT
Kessa says:
Huh?

You mean you had no other way of watching any of them? If that is the case, then after 1 movie, you should have been able to figure it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 8:36:21 PM PDT
King Al says:
You clearly don't understand the meaning of the term "bait and switch."

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:06:01 PM PDT
Pushka says:
Try Firefox beta and then you can add Flash as a plug in. Works a treat. But a dedicated app would be much better.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 9:24:46 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
After buying one movie and it not working, you bought more?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2012 12:19:26 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
It works fine, though. (Adobe Flash, I mean.) Just sideload it. And dropping portable device support is on Adobe, not Amazon. Flash is a crappy container for video anyway, and the less support it gets, the sooner it goes away.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 6:14:56 AM PDT
Carol says:
This did not work for me, I have a Droid. I was only able to add to my wish list to purchase from an Ipod, Ipad, Fire or othe acceptable devise.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 6:14:47 AM PDT
RazielXSR says:
Not if you are using Jelly Bean

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 6:16:44 AM PDT
RazielXSR says:
So Amazon should drop Flash as well and move to HTML 5 already.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 8:11:29 PM PDT
Yeah by side loading Flash. This isn't ideal, convenient, or even that useful as it's glitchy and lacks quality.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:47:01 AM PDT
It's apparently not supported through the browser of my Android phone (Samsung Replenish).

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 11:29:02 AM PDT
Joe says:
@Kyle - While I agree with your sentiment the user based forum here for Kindle devices may not be the best choice to vent this thought.

@ browser/flash as an alternative - Not even worthy, Prime streaming for most movies view browser/flash combo is limited to SD only. Even noticed it on a show or 2 recently. Unacceptable.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:36:33 AM PDT
Ye Li says:
Amazon has a Android client for watch instant video for Amazon's tablet. someone has ported the install file (apk) for other android devices. I installed it on My Galaxy S3, it installs and can be opened, though I don't have Prime membership yet.

I remember I downloaded in from XDA-developer forum, or you can goolge by its name "ATVAndroidClient.apk"

Good luck.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:39:02 AM PDT
I think this sucks, you can not even access the lending library from any other device. Customer Services was unable to provide an ETA if this would be available on other devices. I really do not have to buy another device. I already have too many.....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:59:41 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
From the Kindle Owners Lending Library Product Description...

"With Amazon Prime, KINDLE OWNERS can choose from more than 180,000 books to borrow for free with no due dates, including over 100 current and former New York Times best sellers and all 7 Harry Potter books..."

The KOLL is a perk for KINDLE OWNERS. Amazon has never implied that it is a benefit of Prime membership for others.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 9:09:09 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Why would they have an ETA. It is called the Kindle Owners Lending Library. Get be any more clear than that. They are giving actual Kindle owners a little bonus.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 35 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  153
Total posts:  875
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions