Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why no special offers in months?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2012 2:35:28 AM PDT
SMW says:
I bought the kindle with special offers and loved getting the offers but I haven't gotten any for months and yes I do connect to check for them. What's going on?

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 5:28:27 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 5:44:47 AM PDT
What do you see on the kindle screen when you put it to sleep?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 5:49:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 5:49:39 AM PDT
AT&T ad for G4 network has been showing forever. I've been seeing filler like "Kindle Fire for $199." No real deals that I've seen.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 5:50:12 AM PDT
I don't call it a Special Offers Kindle anymore, I call it an ad-supported Kindle because the "special offers" no longer happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 5:50:29 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I only see ads for Amazon products, AT&T or some movie. No real "deals". Just ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 6:27:39 AM PDT
Those are the "Special Offers". Remember that "Special Offer" is just marketing speak for 'Advertisements'.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 6:33:31 AM PDT
I don't even notice them. My eye ignores the screen completely until my KK turns on.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 9:01:02 AM PDT
AC Sue says:
There was a thread a while ago where everyone seemed to be getting multiple diaper ads. Those finally went away, which is nice, but I haven't seen any real offers for a long time.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 9:17:57 AM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Amazon is dependent on who chooses to advertise (or not) on the Kindles. I suspect the whole program is a bust for both advertisers and Amazon - advertisers aren't interested, and Amazon may be losing $$ on the SO devices now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 9:51:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 12, 2012 9:53:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 9:57:20 PM PDT
SMW says:
When it is asleep it is just showing a pattern of letters in various sizes and shapes, not advertisements so I can live with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 10:18:15 PM PDT
Artist says:
Then you probably don't have an ad-supported Kindle.

I've been disappointed, too. When I first bought my KK, the offers more than paid for the price of the device. Now, there's almost nothing offered.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 10:47:37 PM PDT
SMW says:
I did buy the special offer kindle keyboard a year ago and for a while got some really great deals but for the last few months, nothing. Every now and then I'll get an ad but no special offers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 4:42:03 AM PDT
Same thing for me, Weersing. I used to get special offers, now all I get is a pattern of letters with a note at the bottom stating "Please connect wirelessly to download the latest Special Offers'. I am connected wirelessly (i've checked and am able to use the browser). But, it still says I need to connect. Not sure what happened.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 4:55:42 AM PDT
L L. says:
I have a special offer going right now. Get a 10 amazon gift card if I use a discover card, which I don't have.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 5:32:34 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Paul,

This occasionally happens to me as well (Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Basic.) I've found that if I disconnect the Kindle from wifi and, then, reconnect, it works.

It is very odd as, even while I get that "connect to wifi" message for the Special Offers, I can still download books to the device. Very odd. Once I stop/restart, though, the Special offers display works again.

DL

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 5:47:38 AM PDT
DL,

I've tried that and even used different wifi access points, but still it doesn't show up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 5:56:20 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Sorry.

Wish I could help.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:00:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 6:01:00 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Oh - one more clarification:

Just in case - I'm not talking about the menu option to turn wireless on/off (or set to airplane mode.) I'm talking about going to the settings page and disconnecting the actual specific wireless connection and restarting it (requiring entering the wifi password again.)

Just occurred to me that we may be talking at cross-purposes.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:01:57 AM PDT
SeaBreezeGal says:
I had the same problem with my Kindle of it saying I needed to connect to WiFi fir the Special Offers. I also had problems with my books downloading even though I had purchased the book directly from my Kindle it was unable to download the book. I ended up calling CS and it turned out to be an issue on their end and they ended up doing something to "boost" the signal from their server. I now will have the problem every so often of it saying I need to connect to WiFi but not like it used to. Hope this helps. :)

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:46:32 AM PDT
Bollycats says:
I'm hoping that since the new Kindles and Fires are coming out they will be putting out more good offers. I have 5 "junk" offers on my Touch now that are in Latin and the screen saver is a blank page with AD47 at the top! Don't know how I got them and they won't go away.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:48:03 AM PDT
S. McNulty says:
You're glossing over the "special" part. They used to be exclusive sales or discounts that you couldn't get elsewhere. I especially miss the monthly "Choose any one of these books for only $1" or "Get a $10 gift card for $5" offers. Now all I see is stuff like "Bob Dylan has a new album out." They really have almost exclusively changed from "offers" to "ads". Boo!

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:56:50 AM PDT
MJ Kay says:
Yes, recently had a "special offer" of the $59.99 Kindle lighted cover for $59.99. Go figure. (This was shortly before the new Kindles came out.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 7:01:44 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
It sounds like you need to restart your Touch. Go to the Menu and find "restart" or hold the power button for 20 seconds and let it reboot.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8773 6 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7743 27 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6650 43 minutes ago
can a prime member borrow books on their ipad kindle app? 1215 1 hour ago
Loading Amazon Videos on a Seagate Wireless Plus External Drive 31 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 644 1 hour ago
changing default search engine on search bar 34 2 hours ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1835 2 hours ago
Turn off Voyage backlight? 363 2 hours ago
So can you turn the Paperwhite light completely off? 733 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Aug 12, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions