Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does the Fire HD have a SD slot

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 4:04:57 PM PST
Michelle says:
I'm planning on buying a new tablet and I think I would like to get the Kindle Fire HD. I've looked at the specs but it doesn't say any where if it has a SD or micro SD slot. I just think that option could be useful on trips to have more storage.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:05:29 PM PST
No, no SD slot.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:30:02 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:34:30 PM PST
If you need more storage on trips, you can use a Kingston Wi drive or the Seagate GoFlex Satellite Drive. I have both for my Kindle Fires and they work great.

Kingston Wi-Drive 32 GB USB 2.0 Pocket-sized Portable Storage WID/32GBZ

Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage 500 GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive STBF500101 Black

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:46:00 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Aren't those external storage devices rather slow, compared to the KF's own storage (HD, SSD, or whatever it is)? I know my 32 GB thumb drive is painfully slow compared to my computer's HDs. The external drives would be fine for text, but maybe not so good for videos or movies? I'd be interested to read anyone's experience with video or movies played from an external storage device attached to a KF

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:46:23 PM PST
Bill Hansen says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 6:14:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 6:15:30 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
They may be slow to transfer files but movies play fine from them. I have an SD card on my tablet and I can also plug in flash drives and video files play just fine. The WiFi drives wouldn't be any different.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:44:37 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
That's good to know Jeff. I haven't needed to try it yet, but when my KFHD arrives (next week?) I'll test it out. I ordered the 64 GB version, but if vids and flash play normally when they're stored on a flash drive, I should send the 64GB back and get the 32 GB version.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:56:44 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Okay hold up here. I never said you can plug external hard drives or flash drives into the Fire. They are talking about the external WiFi drives. So you will need to get the WiFi drives listed in the posts above to work. You were asking about being able to play movies from them. I don't have a Fire but a different tablet that I can plug things into.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:37:16 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
Thanks Jeff - I knew what you were talking about but I worded my reply very clumsily. The capacity of those WiFi drives is amazing, but their cost is more than the "extra" 32 GB (price) between the 32GB and 64 GB versions of the Kindle Fire HD - so I think I'll wait to see if I might need those extra hundreds of GB extra storage.

Also - someone else wrote that the WiFi drives have only a 4 hour battery life, which would be a bit limiting. But it's great to know that there's something like them available. Thanks for your original post, and your reply here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:43:35 PM PST
D.L.C says:
The only three major companies that sell tablets with SD slots are B&N, Toshiba and Samsung.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:29:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:31:21 PM PST
scrapnkath says:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/ Sorry don't know how to make the link clickable on my Kindle. B&N just made an announcement that might help...or not! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:09:18 PM PST
I think Asus and Acer tablets have SD card slots.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:37:12 AM PST
D.L.C says:
oh yeah you're right. Transformers do have SD slots in both the tablet and dock.

The three main players these days don't have them. Sadly. And only one lets you have USB hosting without minimal effort.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 7:15:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 7:16:16 PM PST
IDBUG says:
Half the reason I refuse to buy an iPad (and i-Everything) is the lack of any expansion slot. The Kindle Fire HD ads were promising but without memory expandability I won't buy it.

I guess I'll keep looking (Samsung, Toshiba, etc).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 4:59:49 AM PST
Bill Hansen says:
I had that same reservation about the iPad, and I have a general aversion to Apple products for several other reasons. As for the memory of the Kindle (mine is Kindle Fire HD 8.9) I bought a version with 64 GB of memory, but I realize now that 32 GB would have been ample for my needs. Also - I've read that the Kindle's memory can be expanded with a WiFi memory module. It's "yet another piece of equipment" to carry, but it available.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:36:40 AM PDT
Bill, Don't confuse hard drive storage with memory. Yes the line has gotten blurred because the current trend is to use nand flash for both. the difference is "memory" is space the system can use to actually "run" or execute programs/apps in. "hard drive" storage is simply that storage for programs and data(music, documents, pictures,movies ect..). The App/program is accessed and then a portion(or all of it) is loaded into the "memory" to be run. The system will then load portions of the data needed to complete whatever the app does- this too is copied/transferred into the "memory" then upon completion of the app task returned to "hard drive" storgage.
Most devices have between 512MB (iPad2 and older devices), 1GB (1000MB) (iPad3/4, some Android devices) and 2GB (latest Android devices, and some Windows 8 Tablets) the only Tablets currently with more than 2GB "memory" are Intel processor based Windows 8 Pro Tablets. (4GB).
Point being Wifi expansion modules expand the "hard drive" storage NOT the "memory" of the device.

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 7:18:51 AM PDT
marshasantos says:
I have the kindle HD as well as the nook tablet and I really love the kindle. It downloads fast for the most part and I can buy a movie on amazon fairly cheap and if the feature is available it will show up on my kindle immediately. Also once you see the movie on your kindle download and u can watch with or without internet access. I like that because my nook won't let me do that

Posted on May 10, 2013 2:58:30 PM PDT
Tim Guy says:
The Le Pan series of tablets also comes with Micro SD slots. I know I have 1. Got it for the simple fact it boast around the same size as the iPad but a fraction of the cost and uses ANDROID!!! I am so loving my KFHD just got it a few hours ago today...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2013 1:03:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2013 1:04:39 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 12:40:35 PM PST
Eli says:
Does the kindle fire hd support usb on the go? (Usb otg) I see a lack of an sd slot but a otg cable amd jumpdrives are super cheap. Anyone know?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2013 1:41:44 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
No, you cannot host anything through the micro usb connection....

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 11:11:34 AM PST
I hope Amazon realizes they are losing thousands of sales due to this design mistake. I specifically purchased an ASUS transformer instead of the KFHD because the ASUS can use an SD card and the Kindle cannot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 11:17:28 AM PST
King Al says:
Given that the Fire is the leading Android tablet, and that millions of people own an iPad, which also has these issues, I seriously doubt that Amazon is losing many sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 11:19:45 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
What mistake?? A lot of companies are getting away from removable storage. Apple has never used SD cards either and they seem to be doing OK. Not everyone has thousands of songs downloaded illegally from the internet that they need on their device.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  20 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions