Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Sat, Nov 17, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 4:32:06 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Good morning, y'all! After trekking along the Pacific ocean in heavy fog half the night following Robbs map yesterday, I'm in the mood for a cozy day curled up in an armchair in front of the fire with friends. Join me, plenty of armchairs to go around, full buffet on the right just make a wish for a dish and it is yours. One of the things I look forward to here is reading stories about everyone's family. As you all know, family encompasses a lot of ground - the one you are born to, the one you make....and the ones you open your door to - including the family of furry paws. So I thought today we might share amusing or heartwarming stories about our family - whether they be pets, children or siblings.

I'm going to start out with a very, very long tale about how I learned that our animals do communicate with each other - all too well. In fact, it's amazing I sleep at night....It involves Blue, the drama queen kitty you have come to know, and his late, beloved mentor, Andy. At least once in a pet lover's life - if you are lucky - an animal comes along that you form a special bond with, such that it isn't so much about owner and pet, as it is about a bond between equals. Andy was that pet for me. I called him the pragmatic diva; he was born under the sign of Leo, and it fit. He was a cat's cat, a Leo among lions, and was a benevolent dictator to all the other pets - and me. A prime manipulator, rescued at 4 weeks, adopted by me at 8 weeks, above all else, he understood the need for a well-trained servant. Some other time I will tell you how he came to pick me as his human - today you just need to know he deemed me malleable. During the training phase (our first year together) Andy was sadly disappointed to find out I wasn't as smart as he thought I was, as I failed to respond to subtle cues. But he was patient, and relied on repetition to whip me into shape. He worked on -er, with me for months to try to get me to reward him with snacks when he felt like one.. It went like this: I would be reading in my armchair (hence the tie-in, see?), facing the kitchen bar. At first, he would hop on the coffee table and meow. After several weeks with this method failing, he modified his technique and sat in front of the kitchen entrance. And meowed. When the only response he got was What are you doing? he escalated to a more obvious clue. He hopped up on the kitchen bar (where he was not allowed - at all - and knew it) and yowled at full voice to get my attention. The first time I saw and heard him, I yelled in response to get off - and he stayed and gave me the "come-on" look and yowled again - so I had to get up to go get him off - which was precisely what he was waiting for. The minute I got halfway across the room he hopped down, dashed to the kitchen entrance, and then glanced over his shoulder and said"come on, I need a snack!" I admit, it took me quite a few repeats of this routine to catch on to his little stunt - the look of proud papa satisfaction each time I got the hint gave him away. After which, the next time he tried it, I just lowered the top of my book, told him to get over it, I wasn't falling for it anymore. He tried maybe two or three times more, then realized that I simply wasn't gonna fall for it again - and stopped. He never tried that trick again in 13 years.....but one day - (continued in next post)

Give a shout out to the birthday folks =
DesertSkys
CruisenreaderMamaw

Check out the dessert table on the left, I'll give you the recipe for that cake later....

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link
to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors"
area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Birthday and Anniversary link.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!150&authkey=!APjJOjgrpis8vaY
http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
http://us.kinlib.com
dailyfreebooks.com
`
To get today's updates:

Kinlib:
US: http://us.kinlib.com/feed/
UK: http://uk.kinlib.com/feed/
*The "feed" link provides all available updates.

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starter Schedule:

DonnaBeeGood - Sunday, November 18th Start Time 11:30pm MST on November 17th
Leonard Little - Monday, November 19 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Zoo Keeper - Tuesday, Nov 20th Start Time 6-7 am EST
Sandy Shops-Wednesday Nov. 21st Start time 12:00 PST
Robb - Thursday, November 22 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Kay Kay - Friday, November 23 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Kay Kay - Saturday, November 24 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Leonard Little - Monday, November 26 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Lover of Books - Friday, Nov. 30 Start Time 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Sunday, November 25
Tuesday, November 27
Wednesday, November 28
Thursday, November 29
Saturday, December 01

///@@@@@@@@*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***@@@@@@@@\\\
...........Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Here is the link to yesterday's thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx2OX0IAN7HKTIV

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:35:52 AM PST
thank you

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:37:24 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Ahhhh....(settling down in chair, feet up, cup of hot tea in hand....)now to continue my long, boring story - thanks for humoring me, just wander over to the buffet if you are rightfully bored....

Thirteen years after I adopted Andy, I brought home a very, very sad little Maine Coon kitten with health issues that did NOT want to be adopted, and definitely wanted nothing to do with me. I could pick him up all I wanted - and he just hung there in my arms and pretended he was somewhere else - and ran away when I put him down. Which is how he was named Blue. But when Blue walked into the house and saw Andy, his eyes lit up and you could hear him exclaim "Dad!!" (they had similar coloring) Blue worshipped Andy, which to Andy was the natural order of things. Blue was so adorable, and I wanted him to like me so much, but I was persona non grata to that kitten. So I asked Andy to take Blue under his paw, and teach him how to be a pet - or as Andy viewed it, how to manage your human. The incident I'm about to recite occurred maybe 4 months in. Blue wouldn't run from me, but he wouldn't seek me out, or draw my attention either. So imagine my consternation one day, when I was in another part of the house, and I heard Blue scream - I came running calling his name down the hallway and into the living area - and stopped dead in my tracks. I was facing the kitchen bar, and across the very large kitchen, I could see on the other side, baby Blue was sitting on the counter, his front shoulders hunched down a little, ostrich tail curled around his legs, and his eyes as wide as saucers looking at me. Blue had never, ever gotten on the counters - and never stayed in one place when I looked at him - he ran - but there he was with an "I don't want to be here" expression on his face. I didn't want to spook him, so I said "Blue?" Are you okay? As I slowly moved towards him, he turned and looked down and to the left - I couldn't see what he was looking at - and then hopped down and disappeared from view. I scurried into the kitchen still believing he was hurt - and what did I see? You guessed it -baby Blue ran up to Big Bubba Andy who was sitting on the far right - orchestrating the whole thing. I saw them wordlessly exchange a conversation equivalent to "did I do it right?She isn't gonna yell, is she? Relax, kid, she thinks you're cute, we have it in the bag" Andy then looked at me, shrugged and ran to the counter where the cat food was and yowled. I looked at Andy, told him, "It didn't work 13 years ago, and it ain't working now, no matter how cute he is", then I looked at Blue and said "don't believe everything he tells you" and stalked out. Neither cat ever hopped up on the counter and called me again - thus proving my conspiracy theory. Andy passed away after a long illness 3 years ago, and while Blue can't match him on the thinking, he did step in as chief lapcat and cuddler, just as Andy trained him to do all those years ago.

What's your funny or heartwarming story?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:55:25 AM PST
~nospin says:
Such a cute story. Thanks for starting.
from my wishlist
Marlin, Darlin': Garnet Sullivan Live from Florida

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:12:51 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Thanks for starting TerryInTexas - what would we all do without our furry friends.
I have been lurking recently, but hope to participate a bit better in the future.
Today my eye has been caught by the following:-

Are You Sitting Down? by Shannon Yarbrough
A rape victim raising a biracial baby. A drug addict haunted by a dead girlfriend. A homosexual mourning a dead lover. A teacher having an affair with his student. And a businesswoman sexually harassed by her boss. What do they all have in common? They all sit at Lorraine White's holiday dinner table; they are also her children.

But Lorraine's children are not the only ones in the family dealing with ghosts of the past. This is the first Christmas the Whites have spent together since the death of their father. And it very well could be their last, as arguments ensue, secrets are revealed, and perhaps a murderer walks among them.

In his latest novel, Shannon Yarbrough explores the damaged soul of one small town family and breaks through the boundaries of love, convincing his readers that no matter how hard life gets, sometimes the support of family is often the only true foundation we have left to depend upon - whether we want it or not.

The Girl on the Ferry by J. D. Reid
The Girl on the Ferry will make you smile, sometimes laugh aloud, and occasionally suppress a tear or two. The main character and narrator is 97-year-old Freya Anna Bergman, a lesbian, who once was madly but secretly in love with her best friend Leslie. Unfortunately, Leslie fell in love with Marshall shattering Freya's world. It is now a lifetime later however and Freya has been commissioned by the family to write the early history of her friends Leslie and Marshall Davenport just recently deceased. The novel becomes a first person revelation of Freya's love for Leslie quickly revealing the fact Freya is a lesbian and that one of the greatest tragedies of her life was when Marshall picked Leslie out of the crowd gathered onboard the Wolfe Island Ferry that very bright July morning so long ago. Freya is sometimes cynical but always intriguing. She is a compassionate and loving but with attitude. She talks about everything, from love, to sex, to birth and death, often digressing but always returning to the subject of her love for Leslie and the family that grew up around the three of them. It is all very entertaining. Freya is a character and someone you will come to love, just as you will come to love Leslie and Marshall and the children. In the end, The Girl on the Ferry is often humorous and just as often poignant. It is a great read. The author, J. D. Reid, the author of Ashleigh's Dilemma, is someone you might want to watch. For the price, you can't go wrong.

and because I have a feeling that many of you are trying to collect the series, the following is free today:
Fatal Instinct (The Instinct Series bk. #2) by Robert W. Walker

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:31:44 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Also a couple of yellow banners for me (reminding me that I have some reading to carch up on !)

The Secret by Weatherley Cooper
The Secret is a love story about living and all the promise and heartache life holds. It's about the hardships and happiness Josef and Sarah endure together as their innocent friendship evolves into a tender, torrid, tragic and unforgettable affair they hold in their hearts all the days of their lives.

Beginning in the 1940s in California and enduring to present day - The Secret carries a young German American detainee and a farmer's daughter through the life, laughter, love and tears brought about by honor and obligation.

Based on a time in America most would like to forget -- The Secret chronicles Josef and Sarah and a family who knows he's the one for her, but must force her to marry a neighbor's son returning from the war to save the family farm at the close of the Great Depression. The Secret is about growing up and growing old and going home again...even if it takes sixty years to find the way back.

The Matter of Grace by Jessica Barksdale Inclan
Booklist praised Her Daughter's Eyes as "a modern-day depiction of familial disintegration with offbeat twists and luminous sparks of hope." Now, Jessica Barksdale Inclán reveals the closely intertwined lives of four women-their struggles to be good wives, mothers, friends-and the troubled secrets they hide.

Every summer, Felice, Helen, Stella, and Grace meet at Oakland View Swim and Tennis Club, watching their children learn to swim, slowly becoming friends. After seven years, there is no reason to think things will ever change-until the summer Grace's illness returns. On the brink of crisis, as the women try to help Grace confront a trauma that begins to seem quite different from what she claims, they are forced to examine their own lives...and face a painful truth. That they don't really know Grace-or themselves-at all...

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:12:08 AM PST
Courtney says:
The Grimm Curse (The Girl In The Red Hoodie)
Elephant Girl: A Human Story
The Outer Edge of Heaven
This Very Moment

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:19:29 AM PST
Suze says:
@ TnT,

Thank you....great story.....I could see it all and it just made me laugh! They are incredible creatures and I am so glad I made the decision to get a little gray and white kitten 16 years ago, knowing Nothing about living with a cat! What a fun ride....she still makes us laugh everyday. She is sweet-looking and petite and she is the Boss of me! I just never knew what cats are like.....adopting "that attitude" at times has actually helped me set some much needed limits in some of my human relationships. Love it!!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:30:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:38:39 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Thanks to redandwhite for covering for me on the Friday thread....digestive issues and a cat with an ostrich feather tail he waves in the wind means you move fast or else....

And i know you parents out there have a "i cant believe my kid said/did that " story - do tell!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:39:57 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi Terry - glad to see you are back from the crisis and hope that all is well with all the pets now, what a fabulous start, but I really want to know how you came to to be picked as his human - I bet that is a good story too.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:42:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:45:50 AM PST
Lyn says:
Morning Terry
Glad you had fun yesterday. I will tell the Blue(genes) and Fletcher tales later when I am on the computer not tablet.

ETA - you might want to go back to yesterday's and see my answer to Biscay about Blue.....

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:43:34 AM PST
Lyn says:
Happy Birthday to both DesertSkys and CruisenreaderMamaw

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:49:37 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
TnT,
One of my kitties is an outside cat, but he's sure I'm mistaken in that identification and he's set about coming inside to prove me wrong. (I'm beginning to think he's right.) He has this huge tail with the longest hair on it. Reading the ostrich plume sounds like him. Anyway, the other morning, yea he'd gotten in when Hubby left for work, I had him in the bathtub trying to convince him washing that tail was NOT a bad idea. He still doesn't believe I was right.

He's only 8 mons old, but huge, and just a regular long hair cat, so I can't imagine the tail on your Blue. Or how much convincing you have to do that a quick little shower is a good thing.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:51:36 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@Biscay (waving across the continents) good to hear from you again.
I just looked at your wishlist and noticed that you are wanting NOT FREE NOW "The Mill River Recluse" with ASIN B0085NUCES, strangely enough the version I bought for free in September last year with ASIN B0051PRFLQ now says This title is not available for customers from your location in: Europe but perhaps you should try to check since it may be available for you and the prices are different !! (I didn't link to the books here since they are not free) I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:00:15 AM PST
JudyD says:
A few from this morning's wish list:

Wizards' End (Wizards Trilogy)
Marlin, Darlin': Garnet Sullivan Live from Florida
AtlantisMedical Grail
Moonlight (Pact Arcanum)The Devil's Diaries
The Secret
The Grimm Curse (The Girl In The Red Hoodie)
The SMACK: the #1 detective novel (crime fiction books)The Spia Family Presses On (One Olive At A Time)

Will pop in later.
Judy

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:03:55 AM PST
Suze says:
@ Zoo,

I vote to keep the kitty in....what's it's name? It's trying to let you know what it's decision is! What does the resident indoor cat think of it??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:04:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 7:06:17 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
Zoo
None. He brings the prroblem to me...on the bed, the couch,wherever I am. First, if it is really stuck bad, i just clip it, he has hair to spare, or i grab a hot wet washcloth and dishwashing soap, and scrub. He sits politely, cause he has no intention ofcleaning up on his own.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:10:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 9:12:15 AM PST
Thanks for the start TerryinTexas.
Lets see if I can post this without losing the whole thing this time.

Kids/Young Adult
The Big Apple Posse Trilogy

Thriller
Tiger Paw (an FBI Thriller)

Fantasy
The Black Goats (Wine of the Gods)
Illiom, Daughter of Prophecy (Destiny of Fire)

Science Fiction
Swan Song (Book Three of the Icarus Trilogy)

Larry and the Mascots (sounds like fun)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:11:48 AM PST
Biscay says:
Oh, thanks redandwhite <waving back> and for the advice about the book - I was in the middle of doing a quick wishlist check but my "other" one has more "price drop" (preferably to $0.00, lol) potential with about 360 books to choose from. I got the Fatal Instinct one just as you were linking it... but picked up your other suggestions too and was emailing them to a friend who I thought might like to get them as well. Thank you for those.

When you posted that I went quickly to check the other list. I had seen the Mill River Recluse recommended before but it must have been free in the US or Europe yet not here at the time. And still not - I think it's only about $3.20 so if I ever run out of books to read it won't hurt me to get it.

Once again, nice to see you.

Biscay

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:12:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 7:13:18 AM PST
Cluny says:
TerryInTexas
LOl. Nice way to start the morning. When I was a kid, I had a dog that was third generation born and raised in our family and was considered "my dog ". She was extremely smart, well behaved . Then a couple years later, my sibling was given his own dog. Sibling's puppy was a chewer........or so we all believed............until one day when I caught my dog shove a chewed up item at her new housemate knowing new kid would get blamed. Once my dog was busted and we knew who was really the perpatrator,the chewing ceased as quickly as it had commenced

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:17:18 AM PST
Biscay says:
Terry, thanks for a brilliant start as you always manage to do.

I loved the story. I was asking about Blue on yesterday's thread just as you were posting it, another slightly spooky coincidence? Those cats really have some creepy powers of suggestion, don't they. I loved to hear about Andy. Our cat doesn't have me trained at all

<hears a yowl and runs to fill food bowl with nibblies for a midnight snack and top up some delicious fresh water in the other bowl in case of thirst after the bickies are eaten>

....sorry, where was I? Oh, yes, he just fits in around us - LOL, yeah, right!!!

And hope your dad is ok, and that horrible health insurance debacle is resolved (preferably for the better, but if not then I hope it's off your plate and off your shoulders at least)

Biscay

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:30:49 AM PST
Lyn says:
We will start with Derek. We had just gotten the cabin property and told our vet we wanted to branch out and get a dawg. You do the hand signals this high, this long about this weight. She says fine. A while later we get a call that she found us a dawg and she would bring him over. I should say the hand signals denoted a dawg about Bailey's size - around 45 pounds.

She brought in an 80 pound yellow lab/great Pyrenees mix thought he looked more lab with a white undercoat. He needed a home. Was 2 years old and well (over) trained but she thought that that might be a good thing since we were under trained. His name was Ditto because his owner had always called his next dawg ditto. We changed it to Derek. And added Ditto Dawg Mud. Fortunately he rarely did anything to warrant the use of his full name.

He also thought retrieving something more than 3 times was boring or he got distracted by butterflies or a blade of grass. He didn't swim but would go in up to is underside. Some of our dog parks have water access. Do you know how embarrassing it was to ask other people at the dog park if their dog would go retrieve a ball that is beyond his reach when he is a Labrador "Retriever"? He got a couple of years to impart some knowledge to Bailey. He is missed.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:12:24 AM PST
Biscay says:
And I need to add while I'm actually here for a moment, Nospin, I'm so sorry to have heard about poor Salem's lost fight with illness... I'm sure you're hurting lots too.

It was so great to see Rahoo Tigaroo come bouncing back in - well, maybe not bouncing yet, but I reckon there's still some spring in you hiding there, Tigger, welcome back, you've been missed all over the place I know.

Elizabeth S H or Agnes, if you're lurking or skimming here - so sad to know of your suffering and that of your friends, neighbours and everyone going through this - I'm sure your world is very, very full of stuff that doesn't involve indulging yourself with either free books OR chat right now, but I hope you and you hubby are doing somehow ok and that your life is ever so slowly resolving itself into a plan to get back to a place you can regroup and start slowly feeling like you can get back on top of things again. I can't imagine how you are coping but knowing your spirit from your writing and your care for others, if anyone can, you can. I hope all those karma points you've so generously, mischievously, irrepressibly, incessantly - let's get to the point, brazenly! - scored in the time I've been here come back to bite you in the nicest way possible and that many angels descend to spread a comforting shawl around your shoulders and all the other things you must be needing now - physical and emotional. Everyone here is thinking of you all the time and looking forward to the day you're back online and able to chat away again.

There are lots of others I haven't said hello too - ReaderKat, you've had a bit of drama lately too - and so many just going through unpleasant things - those grandma tales yesterday were such a treat to read, weren't they? but I'll have to come back later for those.

All the best,

Biscay

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:22:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:36:58 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
Suze,
His name is Straw. (I know, they have unusual names here.) He's a long hair yellow/orange with white paws and a bib. He has decided if he loves on you and lays on you it would be the best way to show he should stay inside. You can't sit down for him. One night he'd slipped in and hid then came out after we were in bed. Hubby wasn't amused to wake up with a cat lying on his head on the pillow. It's starting to look like he'll get to stay if he wants.

Amazingly the inside cat doesn't mind him. That's not to say she likes the idea, just that she tolerates him, which is not normal. She typically hates it when another cat is inside. The dog, of course, loves it, because this one will play chase with him and Sasha, the inside queen, will not. (It is beneath her after all!)

@TnT,
I'll do the washcloth clean up from now on. The bathtub was traumatic, for me!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:23:37 AM PST
MelissaShaw says:
All - thank you so very much for your caring and inspirational responses.

This is the hardest thing my family ever has had to face and knowing you good people are here gives me strength.

A very special thank you to BubbaK.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
82 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Don't Want Synching Across Devices, But Synching Still Happens 3 9 minutes ago
deleting books from Kindle Paperwhite 224 20 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 1652 20 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Sunday 13th July, 2014 106 24 minutes ago
Buffering 2 25 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9309 28 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9342 37 minutes ago
how do i tell what generation my fire is? 33 44 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3158 46 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions