Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat - Sun, Nov. 18

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 10:23:07 PM PST
Good morning fellow freebie hunters! Hoping that everyone finds something special today. Glad to see that Elizabeth SH was able to stop in yesterday, and hoping to see everyone a bit today.

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Birthday and Anniversary link.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!150&authkey=!APjJOjgrpis8vaY

Sites for free book hunting:
ereaderiq.com/free/
us.kinlib.com (if it's working today)
dailyfreebooks.com

To get today's Kinlib updates:
US: http://us.kinlib.com/feed/
UK: http://uk.kinlib.com/feed/
*The "feed" link provides all available updates.

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starter Schedule:

Leonard Little - Monday, November 19 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Zoo Keeper - Tuesday, Nov 20th Start Time 6-7 am EST
Sandy Shops-Wednesday Nov. 21st Start time 12:00 PST
Robb - Thursday, November 22 Start Time 11pm to Midnight PST
Kay Kay - Friday, November 23 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Kay Kay - Saturday, November 24 Start Time 12:30-1:30 am EST
Leonard Little - Monday, November 26 Start Time 12:30 am PST
Lover of Books - Friday, Nov. 30 Start Time 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Sunday, November 25
Tuesday, November 27
Wednesday, November 28
Thursday, November 29
Saturday, December 1
Sunday, December 2

Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. Many hands make light work. Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Link to yesterday's discussion:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx197WSQ655M6NY

Looking forward to all of your book finds and comraderie!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:25:50 PM PST
Virtual cake of the day: calorie free Turtle cheescake - mmmmmm, chocolate, caramel, and pecans. That should go well with my favorite celebration beverage of tea and Bailey's Irish Cream!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:33:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:35:31 PM PST
Biscay says:
Donna, thanks for the start and a big happy birthday to you. I hope it's a great day (excellent choice to have your birthday fall on the weekend, I think - well planned).

That cheesecake would be really something if it's truly calorie-free. Even if it's not, it does sound delicious. I don't suppose you have a recipe... :) someone else is sure to ask anyway so I'll be the bunny ^..^

ETA - Donna, I believe it's obligatory for anyone who starts on their birthday to have a wishlist with a few sweet nothings on it, if only as a courtesy to others. I don't make the rules, that's just how it is. Please would you remedy this before too much of the day disappears (i.e. immediately) :P

Biscay

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:33:34 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:36:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:39:04 PM PST
Robb says:
FYI

You might want to go back to Terry's thread and edit the link to today's thread as it took me back to Saturday. :)
Amazing how the brain wakes up when the head hits the pillow.

Have to turn down the cheesecake - never acquired the taste for it.
Tea and Bailey's? Any particular tea?

ETA: duh well I did mention a birthday on yesterday's thread. One thing about doing your own B-day is getting the food and cake you want. Happy B-day

And Bailey wants to wish you a happy bday too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:36:22 PM PST
Thank you Biscay - if only I could bake or cook. I get treated to this real life confection at The Cheesecake Cafe, a restaurant in Canada - do they have this franchise in the States?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:38:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:41:37 PM PST
Edited post - Thank you Robb. I'm partial to Red Rose tea, or the Ahmad English Afternoon Tea. I can certainly add something more suitable for our dietary conscious friends - any suggestions?
Edited to add - perhaps confetti angel food cake?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:45:17 PM PST
Robb says:
Cake wise?
It is your cake. Most people like/love cheesecake. I don't but then I still have a piece of Leo's cake left over from Friday so I am fine. Just need to get some diary free coconut ice cream from the SIL's freezer.
No substitute for Bailey's.
Not a big Red Rose fan but I'll take a cup of the English and a splash of Bailey's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:47:49 PM PST
Sounds good to me. I'll catch you all sometime tomorrow with some book choices and catch up after my beauty sleep :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:04:15 PM PST
booknuts says:
donnabeegood--as far as i am concerned, turtle cheesecake makes an ideal b'day offering. and a very happy b'day to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:10:02 PM PST
booknuts says:
not biscay, but--there is a fairly widespread franchise called The Cheesecake Factory--the closest one to me is in Kansas City. they have many marvelous types of sinfully decadent cheesecakes. a few varieties are available in the frozen foods section at sam's club as well--it's odd, but for what the gas to drive me to KC would cost, i could buy the whole cheesecake at sam's here in town!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:15:15 PM PST
Janine says:
Donna happy birthday have a lovely day and I will have the blueberry cheesecake.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:18:31 PM PST
Ketta says:
Donnabegood, hope your birthday is just as special as you are! And in my book (books? LOL) that's pretty special -- I always look for your posts and usually grab everything that you have posted.

And I'll be happy to take Robb's slice of virtual cheesecake. Yummy. ;D

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, I sure miss starting on Wednesdays. Unfortunately, a (sudden!) change in my pay structure necessitated a vast increase in my hours to earn about 3/4 as much as I used to. ::sigh:: The bosses assure me that the company will not be closing, that this step is temporary, yada yada yada... only time will tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:29:21 PM PST
Biscay says:
Getting treated to it is even better than making it! I'm not a huge cheesecake fan but there are a few that do appeal - and I DO have friends and a couple of family members quite partial to it. I thought yours sounded very interesting.

Google, of course, usually has an answer to everything and sure enough after 1 second's effort there are enough recipes there to eat it every day for a year and not do it the same way twice. I was just being lazy!

Enjoy your slice. I think it would go very nicely with coffee or champagne too. Since it's all calorie-free and presumably cost-free, I might have both!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 12:29:09 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@ DonnaBeeGood -thank you for starting today and very many happy returns of the day to you - hope it is a good one - enjoy.

being the slow reader that I am and on a sunday a late riser (it is 09:30 here) I was merrily posting on yesterdays thread before noticing that todays was up and running lol

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:47:04 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Morning all
for starters
Refuge by N. G. Osborne (Romance)
"A captivating tale of love between the unlikeliest of people in the unlikeliest of places." Will Fetters, screenwriter of Remember Me and The Lucky One.

On a dusty, sweltering night, Noor Khan, a beautiful, headstrong Afghan refugee, comes face-to-face with Charlie Matthews, a brash, young American aid worker. To Noor's fury, Charlie breaks every cultural norm and pursues her. She wants nothing to do with him: her sole aim in life is to earn an overseas scholarship so she can escape the miseries of the refugee camps.

However when Noor's brother threatens to marry her off, she is forced to seek refuge in Charlie's home, of all places, and suddenly everything Noor believes in is put into question.

Set in the mystical and seething city of Peshawar, where no one is without an agenda and few can be trusted, Refuge is a timeless and unforgettable love story about the struggle for love and purpose in a cruel and cynical world.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 12:54:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 1:47:51 AM PST
redandwhite says:
@ Avid Reader
Can you enlighten us a little bit about your post ?
I was under the impression that you are female and live in USA !

Edited to add
After doing some research I discover I was mixing you up with another poster who used to be called Avid Reader and has since changed user name - therefore if you are the author of the book please remove your post since it is against Amazon's TOS (and as you can see in the OP there is a ** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **)

As stated in OP you are very welcome to join us for chat here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 1:53:34 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@booknuts, When I go home I always have at least one meal at "The Cheesecake Factory", I'm not a big cheesecake fan, so I get the Chocolate Truffle Cake and take it home because it takes 2 sittings to finish it. At my mom's house anything left over in the fridge is up for grabs, EXCEPT for any desert from The Cheesecake Factory, partaking of one of them without asking can get a person yelled at for a long long time. The other thing I go there for is their Lettuce Wraps, I can make a meal just out of them.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:56:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 4:53:26 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Yellow banner for me from my TBR list
The Enchanted Orchards by Kristin Maddock - Literary Fiction
When Fern's sister died, she left more than a void-she left a dark secret. As the one year anniversary of her death begins approaching, a haunted Fern's only goal is to survive the summer in her beloved peach orchards without a mental breakdown; a difficult task as her family is unraveling at the seams. But that is not to be her only challenge: two visitors arrive, one her childhood crush, one an intriguing stranger-both stirring up more than just trouble and emotions for Fern. Suddenly, her life and town are turned upside down.

As the days lengthen and the breathless heat of summer swallows up the orchards, Fern tries to navigate her way through a maze of grief, friendship, love and guilt. But as the past is revisited, secrets are revealed, and soon, Fern finds herself at a crossroads with some tough decisions to make.

Sometimes all of life's answers can be wrapped up in one hot summer. Especially if peaches are involved...

Coming of age story YA/Romance that deals heavily with death.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:36:57 AM PST
Robb says:
See, I told you that you wouldn't have trouble finding willing people to help eat your delicious sounding cake.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 3:49:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 4:58:45 AM PST
redandwhite says:
THE WINTER BARBEQUE by Matt Cutugno - Biographies & Memoirs
It's a winter's day, perhaps the last day of an old man's existence.

Matt "Tug" Cutugno has lived a good life, that of a hard working family man. He has earned the right to a happy ending; he wants a pat on the back for a job well done. But just where is his reward?

Tug's wife and children are gone and his dreams of a future are now memories of his past - the war; getting married and raising a family; his days as a working man.

His present is filled by winter barbeques of grilled kielbasa for breakfast, grilled chicken for lunch and grilled zucchini and hot dogs for dinner.

As he sits on his lawn chair in the snow-covered backyard of the home that he built himself, a menagerie of wonderful people visits this extraordinary everyman who is not searching for himself, but who is seeking the meaning of what he accomplished in this life.

And with each visit from his wife, his children, his friends and neighbors, his war time buddies, the story of this brave and unsentimental man unfolds so that the past and present merge into something that can be called the truth of an entire generation of men who fought in World War II.

Turn Back Time (The Stoneworth Chronicles) by Lisa Kay Hauser - Romance
Security, gentleness, joy, love, and faith were hallmarks of Hattie Stoneworth Crowe's life. Now the horrors of the Great Depression and the death of her husband threaten her future and that of her three-year-old daughter and unborn child. A potentially greater danger looms from an unexpected source.
Smith Delaney, an out-of-work miner known for his wanderlust, hair-trigger temper, fast fists, and love for liquor comes to her looking for work as a handyman. Against all reason, she hires him.
Their story is set in the coal fields of Muhlenberg County, in west-central Kentucky. Through hardships of the times, through birth and death, tragedy and triumph, a young woman seeks to hold on to faith and family; and a lonely man seeks family and faith.

Edited to ad a few more

Raising Wild Ginger by Tara Woolpy - Contemporary
Parenting is hard. That's what Edward Rosenberg has always assumed, although his only experience with children has been as the drunken uncle. Now the love of his life, Sam DaCosta, is yearning for fatherhood. Edward's been sober for years. He and Sam are in a good place. Why rock the boat? On the other hand, how can he deny Sam his dream of a family?

Then they meet Ginger. At twelve she's been through more than either Edward or Sam can imagine. She's seductive, secretive and dishonest. But somewhere between stealing his cash and alienating Sam, Ginger manages to wind herself into Edward's heart. Can the three of them create a family? Or will Ginger blow them all apart?

Ella by John Crusey - Drama
Deep in Appalachian coal country, Ella grows up hard at the hands of her abusive, alcoholic father. After high school, she's asked out on her very first date, and it ends in rape. Then she meets Paul, the man she will marry -- and the real trouble begins.
Each time Ella is knocked down she gets up a little stronger and a bit more twisted. Eventually rage takes over and it's her turn to call the dance. In her mind, several people need payback, and she's going all out to settle up.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:43:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 4:44:51 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Bump
Is anyone else here ?????

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 4:53:49 AM PST
~nospin says:
Happy Birthday DonnaBeeGood!

Thereis still no wish list showing so I will wish you the happiest of years ahead.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 4:56:36 AM PST
~nospin says:
Ketta
Sorry you have to work so much more for so much less. :(

Hope things work out favorably to allow more balance.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:25:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 5:26:36 AM PST
Jose P. says:
From my wishlist:
The Jack Frost Challenge (Flea's Five Christmases Book 3)

I posted last week that Book #2 was free, at that time. This is book #3. Still 2 more in the series that I haven't seen go free, since as I mentioned- Book #1 had been free over the summer.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions