Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Fire HD doesn't mount on Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 12:36:16 AM PDT
S. Hawkins says:
I've been working with tech support for the past couple of days to understand why my Fire HD doesn't appear as a "removable storage device"when connected to my iMac via the Amazon USB cable.

The Fire HD User Guide indicates that it should appear in Finder but it does not. This is an issue when using Calibre because Calibre depends upon recognizing the Fire HD to transfer content.

Have any other Mac users experienced this problem? If so, were you able to resolve this issue and how?

Windows users do not have this problem.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:42:36 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 5:57:13 AM PDT
Sarida says:
I don't have the answer, but just put Fud on ignore. We all do. He isn't representative of the people that come on here.

Most of us are nice :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 6:19:35 AM PDT
I'm assuming that you have rebooted your mac with the Fire unplugged. Does that port work for other devices (ie mouse)? If so, I would then to a verify and repair through your disk utility program.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 5:23:37 PM PDT
S. Hawkins says:
During the course of working with Amazon tech support, I have been through the gamut of elimination steps including:
- swapping USB cables
- verifying that the USB port is operational
- rebooting everything (Mac, Kindle, all attached peripherals, and anything else that anyone can think of)
- resetting to factory defaults
- even replacing the Kindle Fire HD

The result, so far, is that the Kindle still does not appear as a removable storage device on the iMac, but is recognized by the Android File Transfer application.

Still wondering if other Mac users have seen this??

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 5:27:04 PM PDT
It could be your mac causing the issue. That is why I asked if you have done the verify and repair via the disk utility program on the mac. Sometimes mac files get corrupt and this will fix them. If it can't fix the files, it will tell you so and then you need to contact a mac repair store or reload you operating system from the CD's

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 5:40:38 AM PDT
rickh57 says:
I don't have a Mac, but on the Amazon page "Transferring & Downloading Content to Your Kindle Fire HD 7" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201008230) it says:

Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Note: Mac users need to install a free app, Android File Transfer, to complete a USB transfer. Visit android.com/filetransfer and follow the onscreen instructions.

I'd think that tech support would have suggested this, but if not, try it out. I know that the format of the memory on the HD was changed from earlier Kindle devices...

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 5:56:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 6:15:36 AM PDT
Anna O says:
Rick's post is correct. You need to download the Android File Transfer app. I had to do that on my Mac and it works like a charm. As for "mount" not being a valid computer term, that poster obviously has never owned a Mac. "Mount" is indeed a term used and is an option in Disk Utility to ensure that additional drives/connected devices show up on the desktop.

I believe I even got a pop up message on my Fire HD when I plugged it into the Mac that said I may need the Android File Transfer App.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 6:09:59 AM PDT
Is your Fire on and unlocked when you connect it? That was my problem when I first connected to my Mac. Once I unlocked it, it showed up on the desktop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:21:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 3:25:54 PM PST
Moondoggie82 says:
This happening to me to I can't add my books and docs through Calibre, I have to drag and drop them via the Android Transfer app. I am doing this on a Macbook.

I got the link from the calibre website: http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 3:42:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 3:43:19 PM PST
Canned Heat says:
I have the same issue using the latest version of Calibre (0.9.6). When connecting my Kindle Fire HD to my iMac (OS X 10.8.2), the former fails to mount, and I am forced to use the Android Transfer app for Mac. I'm hoping that a future Kindle Fire HD software update will address this issue. FYI, my Fire HD was unlocked.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:37:19 AM PST
Yes, i am experiencing the same trouble with my new Kindle Fire HD when connecting to my iMac. I will try to get the android download and see if that solves the problem.
Very frustrating.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:08:51 PM PST
This seems to be a problem with the Kindle OS and not tied to any specific hardware. I have the same issue with my Kindle Fire "2" (non-HD, but running kindle 10.2.3). What I really want to do is find dead files on the kindle and delete them, and I thought I could do this once I had it mounted, but alas I can't even do that! I'll try Android File Transfer and see how it goes.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:41:29 AM PST
Mary McManus says:
It was not an issue with the original Fire, as I could transfer directly from my Mac. So I assume that is because it had an earlier version of android which did not have the issue. I'm glad I bumped into this thread because the problem had not yet come up. I got the Android file transfer app and I will be ready for it when I need it. The other day I went looking for the Dolphin browser, but could not find a site that offered an .apk file so ended up getting it via the Fire HD itself.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:26:31 PM PST
Jolie says:
I'm having a similar problem. I have downloaded the Android File Transfer and it works (although every time I connect my Kindle to the Mac I am asked whether I want to open the Android File Transfer. I also downloaded Calibre and am using that exclusively because it works a lot better than the AFT. The AFT was downloading the books as a "blue blob" on the carousel that couldn't be editted.

My main issue is that when I connect the Kindle to the Mac, the Kindle doesn't begin to charge off the Mac. This is a major pain in the @$$ because I don't have two outlets handy to use the USB/plug and have the Mac plugged in.

I also received an email from Amazon (so helpful, those guys/gals in India - not) saying to call them. I won't. I have nothing but problems when I deal with Indian call centers. I wish there were a way to have a real tech support department look at this. For every issue that I've emailed to Amazon/Kindle reps that they did not have a "canned" reply for, I received an email back basically saying, "no one else has this issue". I know from reading this forum that EVERYONE has the same issues and I told them so. I guess they don't monitor the forum, or they would be on this and their reps would know what we were talking about. I'll keep checking back for a solution to this issue. AGH!!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:00:36 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
The Android File Transfer utility is required to transfer files from any Android 3.0+ device to any Mac 10.5 +

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Contacting Amazon won't help. The issue is due to a divergence in transfer protocols between Android and Mac OS.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 9:51:27 AM PST
OldGoat says:
I'm having the same problem -- Kindle Fire 7" HD, connected to a MacBook Pro, Max OS X 10.6.8, using Calibre 9.11 and Android File Transfer.

Haven't Had Jolie's success yet. Finder doesn't show the Kindle as a connected device. Probably as a result of that, Calibre doesn't show the Kindle as a device I can transfer to. Called Amazon help, and after a couple of questions and being put on hold, they ultimately dumped me. (My guess is that a call center tech's performance is measured by how many calls they clear, so nobody wants to take time on a call they can't clear quickly.

Bottom line -- even as a free gift, I'm not sure the Kindle Fire is worth the hassle. Certainly won't buy books through Amazon for this device.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:05:08 PM PST
Having the same issue and I am mad as hell.
I downloaded calibre and the android transfer app. I can't get my books from calibre to the android app onto my kindle. I have wasted a LOT of time on it and I really can't recommend this product because when I called nothing was solved.

A waste of time and money for a product I can so far only view advertisements on...

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:50:46 AM PST
S. Cain says:
Had the same issues with my Kindle fire. I can't get Calibre to be able to 'see' my Kindle fire. Download of the free Android File Transfer App works a treat though. You just have to manually move the .mobi files for each book into the /kindle folder and the book will show up on the carousel. I use the same tool to transfer .mp4 movies and these too work fine. Just drop them into the media folder. Job done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 1:27:46 PM PST
Thank you! This fixed the Mac not detecting issue.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 1:37:04 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
The Android File Transfer utility is required to transfer files from any Android 3.0+ device to any Mac 10.5 +

Contacting Amazon won't help. The issue is due to a divergence in transfer protocols between Android and Mac OS.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:19:22 PM PST
goinplaces says:
So sorry that I found this thread AFTER I purchased a Kindle Fire HD - I can't get the Kindle into Finder, I can't get Calibre to work and I threw away the Kindle box so it is mine. A doorstop. I am really mad and in no mood to talk to the India call center.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:27:18 PM PST
Old Rocker says:

Amazon has three call centers in the US. If you call during US business hours, you are likely to connect to a US call center. They also have e-mail and live chat. And, as in my comment, its an Android issue, not anything Amazon can do.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:39:42 AM PST
R. Fritz says:
Same issue for me, Kindle does not show in Finder.
The filetransfer tool however works as expected. I can drag files into the Kindle easily.

I need to re-check if the Kindle is charging or not, but I am wondering how to "eject" if the Macbook does not see it. Guess power down of the Kindle?

Russ

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 8:30:39 PM PST
Mayra Caban says:
Yes Hawkins I have a Mac and Im ashamed to admit Im addicted to Tablets its not your Mac Its The New Kindle IDK why yet.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
74 3 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle book problems 11 1 second ago
looking for books please help 12 34 seconds ago
Al's Place 35mm 3402 2 minutes ago
Kindle paperwhite cannot connect to my home wifi!! 447 4 minutes ago
October Informal Poll--what are you reading now? 89 6 minutes ago
Accept Credit Card Payments on Kindle Fire? 51 6 minutes ago
decissions , decissions 2 9 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs Oct 1 & 2, 2014 80 11 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions