Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Power Switch Problem?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 3:27:59 PM PST
Rodster says:
I just received my KF-HD and the power switch takes effort to turn on or turn off the screen. It's a noticeable difference with the volume control. It's easy to press and you can feel the clicking when you press the up or down volume.

When I went to turn on the tablet I thought I wasn't pressing the button. So I had to look at the button while pressing it. At that point I realized the power button was real hard to press. It works but it takes a little more effort.

Is this normal for the 8.9" tablet? The tablet is flawless other than that. I guess I could use an auto sleep/wake case which would negate the problem. I'm just hoping the power button doesn't get stuck and fails.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:30:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 3:33:22 PM PST
Rev Otter says:
<<Is this normal for the 8.9" tablet?>>

not "normal", but it seems to be very very common. my 8.9" HD (which i'm returning for unrelated reasons) has a VERY unresponsive power button -- can't even really tell you're depressing it at all. a lot of users have posted similar experiences.

but others here report power buttons with the same responsive "click" as the volume buttons. i'd wager that's the "normal" Amazon was going for. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:34:00 PM PST
The power button was changed after the complaints about it being too easy to accidenally press on the original Fire. Although its possible you have a defective unit, the flush power button is intentional so that people won't accidentally power off the device while it is use.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:38:18 PM PST
Rodster says:
So did they purposely make it hard to press, Old Rocker?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:44:02 PM PST
Try pressing it from a little towards the back.

Were you around the forums last year during all the wailings and lamentations about the power button? I'm simply stating that the power button has been re-engineered to resolve a common complaint. Maybe next year's model will have a Goldilocks button that's not too easy and not too difficult to press.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:54:09 PM PST
Rodster says:
I also own a 7" HD and the power button is really responsive. I'm afraid to send it back for that because it's flawless other than that issue.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:40:23 PM PST
InPinkClover says:
Nice to know I'm not doing something wrong. Having a really hard time with the power button on my 8.9 too. One problem is that I can't feel the button so I have to hold a light up to it to find it before I can struggle to press it. I'm hoping it's just something I will need to get used to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 3:12:56 PM PST
Rodster says:
InPinkClover, I returned my 8.9 KF. I took advantage of the recent $50 off promo and the power switch on my new 8.9 KF-HD works the way it should.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:49:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 9:58:35 PM PST
I am having a major problem with my kindle fire 8.9 power button!! I have had multiple times that the switch is getting stuck down and is turning the fire off, then I cannot get it to turn on without tapping the back of the fire a couple of times until the power button pops back up. My fire is also freezing up at least a couple times a day. I have had my fire since they shipped the pre-orders & love it but it is driving me crazy freezing & I guess I need to send it back because I know one time the button isn't going to pop back up. I am very disappointed that it's not working well & hope it is a defective one, & not what all of them are doing! I also am not sure if it's too late to get return this one for one that the buttons not messed up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:25:27 PM PST
You should contact customer support and get it replaced. The button is a new design this year and it looks like there are some reported problems.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 7:53:32 PM PST
I am also having a very hard time with my power switch. It has been very hard to use ever since I got it for Christmas, and now it won't work at all. Very frustrating. Not even sure how to go about getting it replaced as it was a gift to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 6:14:51 AM PST
Rodster says:
The 8.9 KF-HD is not a year old so no worries on getting it replaced. Contact Kindle Support and if you know who gave it to you give them that info. They should be able to help you with an exchange.

Worse case scenario is you might ask the person who gifted you the tablet to call in your behalf for an exchange. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2013 5:46:15 PM PDT
Had similar problem. Tapping on the back was a good idea that had not tried. And it worked. Thanks. Power button seems to be a major pain in the ass.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 7:14:47 PM PDT
InPinkClover says:
I sent Amazon a note about my power switch issue. I got back an obvious form letter that had nothing to do with my problem. I guess I'm going to have to call them. :/

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your Kindle. Restarting the software can solve intermittent problems, so let's try resetting your Kindle .

For all Kindle Keyboards except Kindle First Generation, please follow these steps to restart your device:

First, be sure your Kindle is disconnected from any power source and that the device is turned on. To reset the Kindle, press or slide the power switch and hold it for a full 20 seconds. Release the power switch and wait for the reboot screen to appear. The power switch is located on the top or bottom of the device, depending on which Kindle model you have. The screen should go blank within a few moments, flicker or flash a few times, and then you'll see the main loading screen.

For the Kindle and Kindle Touch, please follow these steps to restart your device:

First, be sure your Kindle is disconnected from any power source and that the device is turned on. To perform a hard reset on your Kindle Fire, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and then release.

For the Kindle Fire, please follow these steps to restart your device:

First, be sure your Kindle is disconnected from any power source and that the device is turned on. To perform a hard reset on your Kindle Fire, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and then release. After the device has completely turned off, press the power button to restart your Kindle Fire.

If you are using a Kindle First Generation device, please follow these steps described here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200169400#reset

If your Kindle doesn't restart or this problem happens again, you can reach us by phone directly and toll-free from many countries by clicking the Contact Us option in the right-hand column of our

Kindle Support pages at:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

When you visit our website and select Contact Us, click on the "Phone" tab, enter your number, and we'll call you right back.

Contacting us through the website allows you to verify security before a call is placed and ensures we have your account information ready when we call you. If your country isn't listed or you're unable to take advantage of the Contact Us feature, you can call us directly at 1-877-453-4512 or 1-206-922-0844 (if you're calling from outside the U.S.). Additionally, if you have any other questions about your device or account we can answer them on the call as well.

I hope this helps. Thanks for using Kindle

Kindle Customer Support

Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
To manage your Kindle and content online, visit:
http://www.amazon.com/cs/manageyourkindle

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2013 8:38:35 AM PDT
I am having the same problem with my NEW 8.9 that arrived yesterday. What can be done?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2013 1:05:28 PM PST
SheriG says:
Many thanks for this awesome advice....was seriously ready to send mine back till trying what you suggested and worked like a charm.....Many thanks!!!! Mom got hers last year and her button pushes like cutting through butter, however I can deal with mine now that your advice was taken;0)

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 6:33:08 AM PDT
Hey I got my kindle fire hd but my sister drop it twice after that I notice that my power button or volume button didn't work I try pressing it but still nothing has happen

Posted on Jul 19, 2014 5:02:38 AM PDT
smytty says:
What do you mean by tapping on the back

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 3:04:07 PM PDT
Where is the power button on the kindle. I can't get mine to turn on.

Posted on Mar 23, 2015 3:11:31 PM PDT
InPinkClover says:
It's on the side, right above the volume button. Here is a picture:
http://www.handytips.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/KFHD-Screenshot-Handy-Tips.jpg

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 2:05:02 PM PDT
Thank you!! My power button was stuck. ...I rapped on the back and it is now working again!!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions