Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

NEED HELP

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 10:19:57 AM PST
Cherie says:
I purchased the original Kindle reader for my mother in law, opened her an Amazon account and put a $25 gift card in her account. She tried, but has sent the Kindle back to me, in the original package. Now I need help on how to unsubscribe it, her account, and to save the $25 maybe to my account? Ugh

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:24:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 10:24:50 AM PST
You can deregister the Kindle from the Kindle itself or from MIL's Manage Your Kindle page. http://www.amazon.com/myk

As far as transferring the GC - I don't think you can do that. Assuming you have the email address and pw to MIL's account, you can gift books from her account to yours. That will get the books in your archive, and use up the funds on the GC.

Do you plan to return the Kindle to Amazon? You can contact Kindle CS by clicking Help at the top of the page, then clicking the Contact Us button on the right.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:25:37 AM PST
The Blade says:
Cherie,

Sorry that your MIL didn't like the Kindle. My 90 yo Mom loves hers.

Anyway, you should probably get in touch with Kindle CS and see if they can help you. Click the "Help" menu item at the top of this page. Then select the orange "Contact Us" button on the right side of the page that comes up. Follow the prompts and have them call you back (don't use the email contact form, too slow to respond). They will return the call in seconds, literally.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:26:20 AM PST
When did you purchase the Kindle? The original Kindle is 5 years old and Amazon doesn't sell them anymore. Do you have access to your mother in laws account? You can de-register the Kindle from there. You can also de-register it from the device but the instruction vary depending on which Kindle you really have. You will have to contact Customer Service regarding closing the account and getting the gift card balance back.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:48:31 AM PST
Cherie says:
I do have the pw to her account. I've loaded books on her reader for her. I bought the Kindle in July so I know they still sell them, it's the reader, $89 I think it cost me. If I were to go to her account and buy books to send to MY acount, how exactly would I go about that, to use up the GC I mean?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:51:52 AM PST
Cherie, it sounds like you purchased the BASIC kindle - not the original (which hasn't been sold for a few years).

Log into her account. When you purchase a book, click on give as a gift (under the button to purchase) and follow the instructions.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:00:13 AM PST
Cherie says:
That helps a lot, thank you! That is the first step I guess, getting that $25 used up at least. Don't want to close her account until I'm sure this is taken care of.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:16:58 AM PST
Cherie says:
I tried to send a book from her account as a gift but it would not deduct from her gift card :( Ugh!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:18:11 AM PST
Have you claimed the gift? And have you removed all other payment options?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:27:53 AM PST
Cherie says:
There were never any payment option put onto her account, all I ever did was put the GC in her account. I checked her account & its still there so shouldn't the gift just be deducted from that?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:34:54 AM PST
It should....

You sent yourself a notice about the gift to your regular email address, correct? Not to your Kindle email address?

Have you claimed the gift? The amount might not be deducted until the gift is claimed.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:37:06 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
You have to send the Gift to your normal email address not the @kindle email address.

You will get an email to claim your ebook, you need to click on the link in the email to get the book onto your account.

Yes, it will automatically use the Gift Card amount even if there was a credit card on the account it uses the Gift Card balance first.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:37:13 AM PST
Cherie says:
Really it didn't even let me send the gift, it stopped me, wanting a payment method.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:41:24 AM PST
Maybe 1-Click is not turned on for her account. That could be why she was having problems in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:43:30 AM PST
Log into the Manage Your Kindle page (www.amazon.com/myk) using her account. Click on Kindle Payment Settings on the left. You must have a credit card set up even if you don't plan to use it.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:45:55 AM PST
Cherie says:
I'll check that. Although I think she just isn't ever going to go away from her 'paperbacks' was more her original problem :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:46:57 AM PST
Isn't one-click always on for digital purchases? Or has that changed?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:52:56 AM PST
I was thinking that maybe it was never set up on the account.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:55:31 AM PST
Cherie says:
I changed the one-click to 'on' but it still will not use the GC to send the gift, it keeps asking for payment method.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:59:01 AM PST
It's been so long since I established my account and registered my Kindles that I don't remember if the default is "On" or "Off". Either way, it was a good suggestion....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:00:27 PM PST
You've probably already have done so, but have you gone to the your account page and clicked on "view gift card balance" to make sure there is even a balance listed?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:00:52 PM PST
Is there a credit card set up on the 1-Click?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:01:31 PM PST
Can you add your cc, then try to send a $0.99 book? Something that won't break the bank if it doesn't end up charging the GC....

You may also want to ask Kindle Customer Service if the GC can be transferred to another account. I doubt it can be, but I don't know for certain. It might be worth a few minutes on the phone.... And the CSR may be able to help you use up the GC balance, if nothing else.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:01:44 PM PST
Same here. I had 1-click set up long before I even got a Kindle.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 12:02:14 PM PST
Cherie says:
Yes I did that first to make sure it was still there. The rules for redeeming GC just says you cannot pay for ANOTHER GC with your GC, so it should work wo putting another payment option in there. Makes no sense.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions