Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How to turn the Kindle Paperwhite off

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 326 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2012 9:50:55 AM PDT
I just got my Paperwhite and I am trying to turn it off completely. I remember with the other Kindles, you can hold down the power button in the bottom until the screen turns off. When I do this with the Paperwhite, the screen shuts off but then comes back on right away. Is anyone else having this issue?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:52:59 AM PDT
Cyndie says:
I never shut my Kindles off. The recommendation from Amazon is to just let them go to sleep. If you are worried about "screen burn", you don't need to because e-ink is different. It also does not use the battery except when re-drawing the image and it doesn't do that in sleep mode.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:53:05 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Out of curiosity, why do you want to shut it off completely?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:54:58 AM PDT
Craig says:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200953940_pw_basics?nodeId=200954000

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 9:10:49 AM PDT
People shut them off in order to save the battery life, if you're not going to be using them for a while. Technically, Amazon claims that it isn't "supposed" to make a difference, but sleep mode means that the device is still pulling a small amount of power from the battery, whereas off is ... well, off. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:14:44 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Well, we don't know whether "off" is really off, or just sleep with cleared screen... :o)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:21:03 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If it isn't going to be used for so long that the battery would drain in sleep mode then it probably isn't worth buying. At 1/2 an hour a day you get 2 moths of battery life out of it. Which means at least 4 months if not being used at all.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 5:31:01 PM PDT
It is a personal preference to have it turned completely off. When I see the "sleep" screen still on, it bothers me a bit but if I can't turn it off then I guess I will have to deal with it! Thanks for everyone's help!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 5:38:08 PM PDT
Somebody says:
When it comes back on, are you seeing the picture of the kid reading under the tree? If so, you're doing a reset by holding the off button too long.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 5:56:10 PM PDT
 Ann says:
It should turn off if you hold the power button for 5-7 seconds.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 6:47:52 PM PDT
F. Veljko says:
Well, what about flying? You are supposed to turn all devices off, not just put them into sleep mode.
I can't figure out how to turn my PW off either. If I hold the power button, it just restarts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 6:50:40 PM PDT
Rogue says:
Unless we're talking a long time between uses the Paperwhite will consume more power shutting down and rebooting than it will in standby mode.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 7:11:03 PM PDT
D. Evans says:
I think that in an airplane, you would turn on Airplane Mode, then just put it to sleep. On most portable electronic devices these days, there is no 'real' off -- because the off/on button does not turn off all power like like a light switch does -- it just sends a 'sleep' signal, and there is still some portion of the electronics that remains active and running in the background that detects when you push the button again to activate the unit.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 7:54:47 PM PDT
F. Veljko says:
Yes, I know, but some airlines are getting picky. I have had at least one episode of being asked to show that my device was off - not in 'airplane mode'. Not sure what the deal really is, but, oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 8:13:28 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Airplane mode means all wifi and bluetooth is off.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 8:44:01 PM PDT
 Ann says:
@F. Veljko - If yours is restarting, you're holding the power button too long. Hold *just* until the screen goes blank, about 7 seconds, then immediately release.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 8:49:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2012 8:51:49 PM PDT
F. Veljko says:
Thanks for the tip.
But I do understand the difference between the 7-sec press (which should turn it off) and the 15 seconds (which should restarted). If I press for 7 seconds, it looks like it went off - the screen goes blank. But, if I close and open the cover, it's up and running with no delay! There is no startup screen. Which means it must have restarted and must have been running, even if the screen was blank. It's not truly off, it just looks that way. Or so I guess...

I also noticed that, when 'off' like that (with a blank screen) it still downloads my periodicals. I had it 'off' like that last night and, when i opened the cover this morning, the new issue of the WSJ was waiting for me. Which also makes me suspect it's not 'off'. The battery got slightly drained too.

Maybe I am over-thinking it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 8:51:09 PM PDT
Somebody says:
If you have the Amazon cover, that's how it works.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 8:52:57 PM PDT
F. Veljko says:
Maybe it is an issue with the cover (could it be it restarts as soon as you close the cover and runs in the background? it would make more sense for it to re-start when you open it, but maybe they figured you would want it 'ready to go').

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 8:55:06 PM PDT
Somebody says:
I close the cover, the Kindle goes to sleep. I open the cover and it wakes up. The cover is designed to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:06:02 PM PDT
F. Veljko says:
Yes, yes. And it's not a HUGE deal. But the question is - what happens when you turn it off and close the cover? Does it stay off, or does it go to sleep?
Or, in other words, is there any way to turn it off when it has the magnetic cover?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:10:58 PM PDT
Somebody says:
Yes, mine turns completely off. Press the on/off button and let the sleep screen show up without the light. Then press the on/off button again and hold it just a few seconds and it'll shut off (at least mine does). Then, when I close the cover and open it again, it by passes the sleep screen and opens to the last page I was reading on my book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:39:13 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
Even if you turn it off to a blank screen, I believe that opening the cover is supposed to start it up.

From what I've seen, turning the kindle off can actually cause some issues like losing indexing and needing to re index, so I just don't ever turn it off...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:42:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 6:50:14 PM PDT
so I can clean smudges off my screen. 5, 6, 7, 10 seconds does not change- it restarts itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:08:27 PM PST
Randall says:
I was on an airplane and it said turn off electronic devices, including e-readers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
My kindle won't turn on 3101 15 seconds ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 890 11 minutes ago
Norwegian-English dictionary 4 20 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9238 30 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 6739 45 minutes ago
Dictionary for foreign language not working 3 1 hour ago
Can I transfer books between Kindle apps on my 2 tablets 2 1 hour ago
Preventing my books from being delivered to my child's kindle 0 1 hour ago
Kindle Paperwhite Ad Preferences 4 2 hours ago
Echo - how do I request artist prime popular songs? 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  133
Total posts:  326
Initial post:  Oct 9, 2012
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions