Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do I get books off my kindle, and are they gone forever?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 13, 2011 4:27:55 PM PDT
Nancy says:
How do I get books off my kindle, and are they gone forever?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2011 4:31:10 PM PDT
Right click, using the 5-way button. They are only gone forever if you delete them from your Manage Your Kindle page. When you take them off your Kindle they go into your Archives, which is on your Kindle, but they are not really there. LOL!

Posted on May 13, 2011 4:46:07 PM PDT
Kessa's instructions are good for books purchased from Amazon. If they are from another source make sure you have backed them up on your computer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2011 5:19:38 PM PDT
Thanks Kindlewurm - I forget that when people post, they may forget to mention that they did not come from Amazon - I always just assume that they do, since they are writing in to an Amazon forum & just expect them to say if they are not from Amazon. My bad. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 8:59:38 PM PST
This helped so much! I was also trying to figure it out and saw this and it worked :)

Posted on May 6, 2012 5:51:39 PM PDT
lc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:00:54 PM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
If you deleted them from your Kindle you must be seeing them in your archive. If so, those aren't actually on your Kindle. They are just available for download again if you want them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 6:20:56 PM PDT
lc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:25:35 PM PDT
Where exactly do you see these books? On your home screen, or in your archive? What exactly have you tried to do to delete them?
And, perhaps most importantly, have you even looked at the users guide?

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 7:03:23 AM PDT
lc says:
all are still on home screen.I'v gone through all screens looking for a way.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 7:17:52 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
You know reading the users' guide is too much trouble ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 7:51:29 AM PDT
lc says:
I have the problem solved. Thanks all;

Posted on May 7, 2012 9:02:51 AM PDT
Wow. From "Going Crazy" to "Problem Solved" in 81 minutes. I wish my life were that easy. Heck, I sometimes can't decide what to cook for dinner in that amount of time.

Posted on May 21, 2012 7:10:46 PM PDT
lexiboo says:
Yay thanks so much

Posted on May 21, 2012 8:04:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 8:11:40 PM PDT
Hello I am trying to return Ebooks that have been borrowed from the public library early, can anyone help?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 9:13:03 PM PDT
GrannyWise says:
Kindle Touch does not have a 5-way button. User's Guide is abysmal.
Want to delete books from reader which have already been deleted from account page.
Archive? Menu does not indicate such a site.
Gone crazy and may not return.....

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 9:15:17 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Gaylord,
You can find the library book on the Manage Your Kindle page of your amazon account and under 'actions' return it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 6:27:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 6:30:03 AM PDT
Just long touch the title on the home page. A menu will appear including an entry for "Delete this Document" or "Move to Archived items" which is basically the same thing.

Posted on May 22, 2012 10:29:07 AM PDT
P. Magee says:
Is there a way to delete archived books? I've deleted them from the "manage my kindle" page but they still show up on both my kindle and kindle app. (0_o) Syncing didnt help and i even deregistered them both. I no longer want the reminder that I am never going to get those hours back I spent reading them please help. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:36:08 AM PDT
Delete from MYK then a sync should get rid of them. Try a 30 second power button press to reboot the kindle.

Posted on May 22, 2012 10:44:34 AM PDT
P. Magee says:
It still magically appears in the archive. I checked myk again and it is deleted from there.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:47:09 AM PDT
What do you mean "the archive"? The archive is what shows up on the MYK page in my mind.

Posted on May 22, 2012 10:51:19 AM PDT
P. Magee says:
Books I've successfully deleted from myk page still show up under 'archived items' on kindle and kindle app.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:52:38 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
If it's still in the archive listing on your device, do a hard reboot. Press and hold the power key for 30 seconds, take a deep breath, and turn your Kindle back on. It should be gone from your listing now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:52:45 AM PDT
Huh. That seems odd. What happens if you try to import them back into your kindle from there?

I think they are really gone and all you are seeing is a ghost of past literary mistakes, but it would be interesting to know.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5
5 1 hour ago
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
112 7 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3236 22 seconds ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 83 39 seconds ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 8169 1 minute ago
SwagBucks Thread 1816 2 minutes ago
Nested collections? 95 2 minutes ago
Keep some private 10 4 minutes ago
Amazon credit card 11 5 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 161 5 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  May 13, 2011
Latest post:  May 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions