Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Transferring books from Kindle for PC to Kindle Keyboard

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 3:20:48 PM PST
Nyssa says:
I'm a fairly new Kindle Keyboard owner. It's a 3G model, but it seems that I live in a rural fringe reception area, so getting a signal indoors is almost impossible on most days.

Since I've got Kindle for PC installed on my computer and have already downloaded purchased books to that (over dialup, which is sometimes a painful process), I would like to be able to transfer books from the Kindle for PC application to my Kindle via the USB connection. I've tried connecting the KK and doing a drag-and-drop of the displayed book cover that I wish to transfer over to the Documents folder but without success.

Is what I'm attempting even do-able? If so what is the trick I'm missing?

The Kindle manual and online FAQ have been of no help. Both assume that you're downloading the book from the cloud directly to the computer then doing the transfer. I've already got the book on the computer in the PC app, so why download another copy (over dialup again) to in turn transfer it to the KK?

Anyone have any tips?

On a related note, when (if ever) will Amazon make a version of the Kindle app for a Linux platform? I do 95% of my work on Linux, so it's a PITA to switch over to a Windows platform just to use the Kindle software.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 3:24:25 PM PST
The reason it's not working is that the proprietary DRM means every single download is coded for a specific device or app. This means you have to download each one to your computer again, even though you've downloaded them before. During the process, you'll have to choose "Download and transfer via USB" from the drop-down box and then choose the device it will go to.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:25:28 PM PST
Why download another copy? Because each download is coded to the device youo've downloaded it for. So the K4PC download won't work on the kindle itself, nor will vice versa.

You have to download from the cloud to your computer, then move or copy that via USB. There is no way to do what you're trying to, which is why the manual doesn't tell you how to.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:26:20 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
Amazon has a full writeup on the process at http://www.amazon.com/kindletransfer .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 3:27:45 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Nyssa, as others said - you will be prompted for the target device, so that the book can be encrypted using its keys.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 3:27:48 PM PST
Is it possible to occasionally connect at a free wi-fi hot-spot such as McDonalds, Starbucks or your local public library? Then you could download directly to the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 3:29:29 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
It's good to do that even when transferring via USB, because page numbers, popular highlights and other "auxiliary" files are transferred only wirelessly.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:09:07 PM PST
Nyssa says:
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies, although it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Having to jump into my truck and drive 15 miles into town to find a WiFi hotspot to download a book doesn't make it very convenient to get a book I want at 9pm, especially when the library is closed. That's why I finally went to a 3G KK rather than rely on my iPod Touch Kindle app for books.

So basically if I want my books to really be on-demand out in my rural area, I'd have to have them all downloaded (slowly) to my computer as specially-coded files only for my current KK. Whenever I bought a new one all the downloaded files would become useless for the new device regardless that they would both be registered to me. What a system!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:14:27 PM PST
No one suggested that you make a special trip for every single e-book, or for all of them at once, for that matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:19:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 4:21:26 PM PST
The Blade says:
It isn't slow. They download very fast as ebooks are small files.

When I had my K1, the only 2 options were Sprint or PC. Since there was no Sprint connection in my neck of the woods, I loaded everything via PC. Quick & easy.

You can also set up WiFi in your own home, Contact your internet provider to find out how.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:23:06 PM PST
Miss M says:
Nyssa - I don't quite understand.
If you're already downloading to your PC (to the app), how is it more difficult to simply download "via" the PC instead?
All it involves is a different click on the "Deliver To" options. And then you'd transfer via USB, which you've been attempting to do anyway.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:27:40 PM PST
Nyssa says:
@Saintly Brees
WiFi won't work on a dialup connection, so it isn't an option. I've set up WiFi for friends, so I know how to do it, if the bandwidth were available. (Yes, there are still people on dialup.) With over 2000 books in my library and counting, that's a lot of download time, cummulatively speaking.

@Dittiefurkey
I didn't think they did suggest a special trip for each book. I was simply attempting to make a point about convenience and lack thereof. The 3G was supposed to make the KK a more convenient option for me, but the coverage is spotty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:37:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 4:38:14 PM PST
The Blade says:
I am at least as rural as you are. 50 miles to the nearest stop light, 5 miles to my mailbox, 20 miles to the nearest library. I had dialup until relatively recently, also, so I know that there are still people on dialup. No cell phone until very recently.

Do you have any cell service? You can most likely create a WiFi hotspot if you do.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:38:57 PM PST
Nyssa says:
@Miss Mitford
I began downloading books to the PC prior to getting my KK, so I couldn't have done the "Deliver To" option at the beginning. Now that I have a KK, yes, that would be an option now. Add to the mix, I just received a *new* replacement KK on Friday for my original one I got in September due to a defective battery problem. Anything I *had* downloaded with the "Deliver To" option previously wouldn't have worked on the new replacement anyway now even if I had been doing that option before. Complicated, ain't it?

So now that I have the replacement KK in hand, I will begin doing the "Deliver To" option in small chunks as time permits for the books I most likely would want to have on hand (such as those in a series). From what I've been led to understand through other posts in the Kindle forum, keeping all of my books on my KIndle would slow down the response time terribly, especially as my library grows.

Now to make a priority list of books to download with the "Deliver To" option.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:44:17 PM PST
Nyssa says:
@Saintly Brees
LOL, at least I have closer stoplights than you. No, I don't have cell service or a cell phone, just 20th century infrastructure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:47:35 PM PST
Satellite internet is probably available but it's pricey.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 4:48:23 PM PST
Miss M says:
Sorry! :(
But on the bright side, you'll be able to refresh your memory about which books you own, as you go through the archives...
[Just trying to cheer you up, I know dealing with the kindle archives can be annoying.] :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 5:19:56 PM PST
"Having to jump into my truck and drive 15 miles into town to find a WiFi hotspot to download a book doesn't make it very convenient to get a book I want at 9pm, especially when the library is closed. That's why I finally went to a 3G KK rather than rely on my iPod Touch Kindle app for books."

So, you have a 3G kindle why, exactly? As far as downloading books is concerned, 3G and wifi operate the same way. Wherever you can get cell service you can download books direct to the kindle. And you surely already knew that your cell receptiion was patchy. What did you think the 3G would do that it isn't doing - connect even when there's no cell service available? I'd suggest you spend some time during the day wandering around outside with your kindle in hand, looking for 3G sweet spots (if you don't already know where they are). Then if you want to download a book late at night, just take a stroll to a sweet spot.

However you do it, you're going to have to download books twice, for the KK and K4PC. You can do it once on the computer and once on wifi, or on computer and 3G, or both on computer. But it doesn't seem fair to blame the kindle, or Amazon, for the results of your choice to live in the backwoods :-)

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:26:12 PM PST
And by the way, a quick google of "wifi router for dialup" showed that it is possible to set up wifi on a dialup connection, albeit a little more complicated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 11:01:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 11:04:02 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
"What a system!"

Nyssa, this is a side-effect of DRM (digital rights management, essentially a copy protection scheme). If the same book files were working on oall your devices, they would work on others, too.

Music files (e.g. from Tunes) also had such protection, but it was too impractical. The music industry eventually decided that loss of sales because of this impracticality was bigger than loss of sales through illegal "sharing" - so DRM was eventually dropped. Hopefully, that will one day happen wit books, but I still don't see it on horizon.

Once you download the books for your Kindle device, you don't have to keep them all on it (you are right, "overstuffed" Kindle does become sluggish) - they can wait to be copied over on the PC (since they are already properly encoded). So, you can take a weekend to download them all (and perhaps import into Calibre, for library management purposes), and then copy as needed.

But, yes, Kindle was designed to be really comfortable only if you have some kind of wireless connection whenever you need it (only Sprint cellular for the first two generations).

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:17:46 PM PST
Nyssa says:
Thanks to everyone with helpful information that answered my question.

For some reason I had the impression that the book files were tagged by *account* or user, not by device.

If I had been designing the software, I'd probably have gone with the account tag instead of a device tag simply to make the files more flexible amongst devices owned under the same account name. That would especially be helpful when either upgrading devices or adding another to an existing account, since all files could then be more easily shared by all of the devices owned under that user. Isn't there a limit on number of Kindle/reader apps per account? That would keep a lid on someone adding friends to their account just to share their books.

Back to the original problem, I'll probably go with a combination of backups of the files on my KK to my computer (on my Linux partition, of course) and downloading some from my cloud to my laptop whenever I have some time while at the library. The 3G gets a nice signal whenever I'm in town, so I can keep a list of whatever books I want and grab 'em then. Not as immediate a solution as I-want-it-NOW, but I can live with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 4:20:07 PM PST
No, there's no limit on the number of devices/apps per account. There is an optional limit (usually 6) that can be set by the publishers for the number of devices/apps that a book can be downloaded to at the same time. So that means you might have 12 kindles registered to your account, but only 6 of them could have a particular book downloaded at once, and if you wanted to put the book on the 7th kindle you'd have to delete it from one of the first 6.

I really don't understand your reason to gripe, though. You say you want an "I want it now" option, but you live out of wifi/3G range. So it seems the "now" option you want is more about not having to hook up the cable than about how long the process actually takes when you do.

But like I said, you CAN set up a wifi router on dialup, so it just depends on how keen you really are.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions