Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Transferring a "Without Special Offers" upgrade to another device?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 2:34:56 AM PST
JJL says:
Hi, I purchased a Paperwhite from Staples about a week ago. I have the pink and blue color splotches on my display but thought I would be able to live with it. It's also my fourth one and the time it's taken out of my day to take the bus back and forth to deal with the exchanges is too much as the closest one is about an hour away.

I paid the $20 upgrade fee to get rid of the ads a few days ago.

Since then, the colors on my display have shifted and have gotten even more pronounced. So, I ordered a Paperwhite directly from Amazon about an hour ago(maybe my luck will change. If not, I won't have to deal with the extended trips back and forth to the store) and will be returning my present Paperwhite tomorrow for a refund.

Amazon CS has told me that they cannot transfer my upgrade to another device even after I deregister it. They basically say that I'm out of the $20 I spent to get rid of the special offers unless I keep this very Paperwhite that is next to me as I type this.

Which got me to thinking... what if instead of just returning it, I exchange it for another Paperwhite (which won't happen because they're sold out)?

Am I supposed to pay the upgrade fee all over again? If not, then why won't Amazon allow a transfer of the upgrade to a unit that's ordered directly from them?

Two different CS reps have now told me they just don't do it. I'm finding it difficult to believe they can't do this.

Have any of you heard of this happening before?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:40:58 AM PST
You paid for the upgrade fee on a certain device. If you want that upgrade to stay in effect, you MUST go through Kindle support and have the device replaced that way. The replacement's warranty will be the same as the original unit that you purchased and based on the original purchase date.

By taking the unit back to Staples or purchasing another unit from another store (Amazon), you are in effect, purchasing a second unit, not getting the original unit repaired by Amazon (in other words, replaced by Amazon due to the original unit being defective).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:59:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:03:10 AM PST
JJL says:
Wow, that really seems unnecessarily troublesome. Particularly as the 'upgrade' wasn't even a physical/hardware upgrade... The $20 I spent has absolutely nothing to do with the physicality of the device itself unless somehow when they digitally upgraded my unit they actually irreversibly altered the hardware to "hardwire" itself to be a unit "without special offers"...

Funny you mentioned that I had to go through Kindle support because on both calls I was put on hold to be transferred to 'Kindle Support'. Both CS from that department told me the same thing; I had no recourse.

I won't be sending this Paperwhite out to warranty(which is ridiculous as it's only a week old, lol) because I can't afford to be out that $120 particularly when I just ordered one directly from Amazon about an hour ago.

Win some, lose some. Che sera, whatever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:38:21 AM PST
So... *you* chose to buy a second unit from Amazon rather than get a replacement for the one you've already got, *you* chose not to claim on the warranty for a defective unit, and now you're whingeing because you can't afford to be out $120?

There are plenty of offers on products that are associated with the item itself rather than the owner's account; if you've lost in this deal, ISTM that it was because of your own choices.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:45:04 AM PST
By the way, a) Amazon will still uphold warranty issues directly even if you bought the device from another seller, b) usually they send a replacement *first*, along with a return address label, and you have 30 days to return the defective item before they treat the replacement as an additional order and charge you for it, and c) warranty replacement PWs are being sent out faster than new orders.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:49:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 3:50:44 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
What I would do is call back and talk to a supervisor. Let them know you had to return the Kindle because of the defects and since Best Buy is now out of them you are ordering another one from Amazon. See if they can at least give you a $20 credit on your account because of you paying to remove special offers. Good luck.

You could also do as CBP suggests.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:02:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 4:03:37 AM PST
JJL, when you go through Kindle support (click on help at the top of this page and the contact us button on the next page), and if they determine that the unit is defective and requires replacement, they will then send a replacement to you with the same warranty/upgrade as the original unit. That is the ONLY way to not lose the upgrade that you paid for.

Since you decided the unit was defective and you decided to exchange/purchase a different unit, then the upgrade cannot be transferred to a different device.

EDIT - You can always cancel your Amazon order and contact Kindle support, if you still have the unit that you paid the upgrade on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:30:56 AM PST
JJL says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:40:15 AM PST
JJL says:
Thank you again Vickie. I will just return the one I have now to Staples unless they happen to have one in stock when I get there. It's my fourth Paperwhite. First had a crooked display and the rest have very bad color discoloration.

I've tried to see if I could deal with this last one and give it a few days but it's been frustrating as the primary reason I bought it was to read at night before I fall to sleep. I also can't keep on with the returns to local retailers because I take the bus and the closest Staples and BBs are an hour away.

Thank you for your polite replies. I made an honest mistake and assumed the upgrade was account specific.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:43:54 AM PST
JJL says:
I'll give that a shot Jeff. Twice now I've already been through Kindle Support and have gotten a couple a kids who can't seem to stop chewing their food while talking on the phone. lol

If they don't, won't or can't than that's ok... but I appreciate you not giving me grief over my mistake. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:56:08 AM PST
JJL, I suggest that you contact Kindle support during "working hours" PST. If available, use the option to have Kindle call you. They call within a minute and have all my account info in front of them. I confirm my email address and name and the troubleshooting starts. IMO A very nice feature.

I've had to do this a number of times with my Touches and always got a tech support agent that was very helpful and wasn't eating/chewing gum at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:04:07 AM PST
JJL says:
Yeah, that was actually a pleasant surprise having them call me back that quick. First time I ever had Amazon call me and it was way out of normal working hours PST.

What's funny is that the first two CS agents on both calls were obviously adults and very courteous. When they transferred me to Kindle CS I obviously got a couple of youngsters that were obviously taking their lunch break while on call, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:11:29 AM PST
It's not a big deal OR a problem to me. But it's both to you, judging by your OP. And all the solutions that have been offered here you could have found for yourself if you'd gone looking. My point was to emphasise that it was your choices, but you're blaming Amazon. Yes, I get impatient with, and scornful of, people who don't find out the situation but then whinge because of what they didn't know and blame someone else.

Amazon has great CS, and they don't deserve the badmouthing you gave them in your OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:32:36 AM PST
JJL says:
Blame Amazon? I'm a bit miffed with them over the handling of the 'upgrade' as of thus far. I admit that. I also admit that I admitted to "my mistake".

However, I think they could easily see the situation for what it is and easily make good on it. I'm of that opinion.

I did look for answers through Amazon CS. I mentioned that I ended up with a couple who couldn't stop chewing on food during our conversation.

Nice try on trying to equate that with me "badmouthing" Amazon CS in general. I'm of the opinion that Amazon has consistently amazing CS. I mentioned that two of 'em couldn't stop chewing food. Boo-hoo if that bothers you.

There isn't a single angle I've perceived my situation where I feel I'm blaming Amazon. If that's their policy then so be it. I can't change it.

I do have have an unfavorable OPINION on that policy and their handling of it. I'm not blaming them.

I'm getting impatient and scornful of you. I blame your condescending attitude for that.

All you had to say was that going through warranty was the only way to keep the "non-hardware" upgrade I paid for. But, you know, some people just have to be an ass-hat.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:13:26 AM PST
Annie DC says:
Okay, I don't have a Paperwhite, so maybe this is a dumb question, but .. . . . Couldn't you open the replacements while you were still at Staples, turn them on, and check the screen(s) before leaving the store?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:38:21 AM PST
JJL says:
Annie, yes, you certainly can and I did. :) I had to as it was over an hour by bus just to get there in the first place.

I opened up the first one but had to find a dark room to test the display. I had to go next door to PetCo and use their restroom as it didn't have the automatic lighting; I could manually turn off the lights.

Right away, I could see that the entire display was extremely pink and had a huge bright hot spot near top right. I almost considered keeping it because at least it was only one color but the ridiculously bright hotspot was a deal breaker. I exchanged it within 15 minutes.

The second one had the pink and blue splotches but did not appear as bad as the first three PWs I went through and they were also vertically aligned rather than oblique.(I figured I could use Landscape Mode and it would be less distracting) I decided to give it a shot.

The colors shifted places and have intensified over the past few days. I've also discovered a pinprick hole that perpetually leaked unfiltered light. Honestly that never bothered me tho'.

But, the colors... I honestly gave it my best shot, but they're just too distracting.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:52:10 AM PST
P. M. H. says:
JJL, why don't you call Kindle CS once more and ask to talk to a supervisor. Personally, I think your request is reasonable. Perhaps a supervisor has the authority to give you the $20 credit. Gook luck.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:56:45 AM PST
JJL says:
Annie and Jeff, I followed the advice you've given me.

Sarah, the first CS agent was not eating her lunch and I could clearly hear what she was saying. :)
All I wanted to ask was whether or not I'd be refunded my upgrade fee if I just flat out returned the PW but she inquired to my situation. After I told her, she was completely sympathetic and stated that she would relay my issue to a Kindle CS agent whereupon she would then transfer me to said agent. I asked whether or not if I ought to be transferred directly to a supervisor considering my two prior calls and she said that wouldn't be necessary given my circumstances and it wasn't an issue and easily resolved.

"Isham" the Kindle CS agent, understood my concern and just flat out went above and beyond what I or anyone else would have any right to expect. I even objected but he wouldn't have it and just flat out took care of the situation. lol, all I wanted was to know whether or not I would be refunded the upgrade upon a return but they went way above and beyond.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:59:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 7:02:20 AM PST
JJL says: "The $20 I spent has absolutely nothing to do with the physicality of the device itself"

Of course it has to do with the physicality of the device. The model with "Special offers" is a subsided model you got for less than it normally costs. Amazon gave you the choice to pay that subsidization back in order to get rid of the ads. If you get a new subsidized kindle the subsidization you paid back on the 1st one has nothing to do with the discount you got on the second one. You don't want the second one to be subsidized with ads, you have to pay Amazon back that subsidization on that second one. Just like you have to do with other subsidized devices like cell phones. You can't decide to pay the fee to opt-out of your contract on a subsidized cell phone, then go out and get a new phone and expect that they will just give you the subsidized price on the new phone but let you not be on contract. It's always on a device by device basis because it's a device subsidization, not an account subsidization.

"'Isham' the Kindle CS agent, understood my concern and just flat out went above and beyond what I or anyone else would have any right to expect. I even objected but he wouldn't have it and just flat out took care of the situation. lol, all I wanted was to know whether or not I would be refunded the upgrade upon a return but they went way above and beyond."

Isn't it great how Amazon will go beyond policy once in a while to satisfy customers. It's one of the reasons why I prefer Amazon to most other companies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:00:40 AM PST
JJL says:
P.M.H., Yes, I too believe it is reasonable. Apparently, I didn't even need a supervisor. Third time was the charm. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:11:48 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It is better to call back if you don't get the answer you are looking for. I used to work in a call center and not everyone had the power to do everything. Some have certain things they can do and that is it. They cannot offer to move you to a supervisor you have to ask for it yourself. Others that have been with the company a while have had more training and are allowed to do more for you. I had the power to pretty much do what a supervisor would be able to do but I also had to note the account and give my reasoning. It comes with experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:35:14 AM PST
JJL says:
Thomas, yes, I agree with you and you are fully correct in your explanation.

However, what I meant by it having nothing to do with the actual hardware/physicality of the device was that it is essentially a software update which could be reversed and applied to an exchange from a defective device.

However, that "second" Kindle you're referring to is in my case an "exchange" from a defective unit; not a second unit in addition to a preexisting one that is intended to be kept and used.

The idea is that the first one is to be returned due to a defect. I paid the upgrade for it. The retailer cannot refund the upgrade. Only Amazon can. The retailer is sold out with no date at all on incoming shipments. So, no exchange is possible. I return it anyway and order from Amazon. Yes, this is not an "exchange" in any way that you or I understand it, but rather a "second" purchase for another unit.

Amazon understands this. It's easy to understand. If you've read the posts you can clearly see the case I'm making. This does not in any way circumvent any of their policies toward some unethical gain. What is their to gain besides receiving exactly what I had already paid for?--a Kindle without special offers.

What are they losing? The unit they are sending me "without the special offers" cost the same to manufacture as the previous unit that originally had the "special offers". The Amazon CS agent I spoke with mirrored this sentiment.

Why are people having a hard time understanding this? lol

Again, I agree with your post because it's true and it makes sense. But, please remember, in this case, it is essentially an exchange for a defective unit. It just so happens the retailer is sold out. I still want a replacement for the device but I also want to retain the "non-hardware" upgrade I paid for. Since the retailer is sold out I will have to purchase from Amazon.

Amazon understands this perfectly well and agrees that I indeed have a right to keep that upgrade even though the original unit was not purchased from them... and they've acted accordingly.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:48:58 AM PST
JJL says:
@Jeff Yep, and apparently I got the girl and guy that knew what they were doing. Also, they weren't snacking on food while speaking with me.

@Thomas "Isn't it great how Amazon will go beyond policy once in a while to satisfy customers. It's one of the reasons why I prefer Amazon to most other companies. "

Amen to that :) I'm not a "brand loyalist" but if Amazon continues being Amazon then they've got me.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:34:11 AM PST
TuxGirl says:
IThe difference is that at any point up until you returned the device to staples, you could've returned the device to amazon under warranty, and not had any of this hullabaloo. Not only would you not be out the 20$,but you also would get your replacement device faster than you will by returning to staples and placing a new order. I don't understand why you keep resisting the fact that everyone is telling you that it's a better option to do things that way.

If you pay your way out of a phone contract, but still have warranty on the device, then, if you go through the correct channels to get a warranty replacement on the phone, you don't have to pay to get out of the contract again. If instead you return the phone, then buy a new one, you won't get the same result.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:12:43 PM PST
What I saw as badmouthing:
1) You only contacted Amazon as a last resort (after going to and from the store how many times?), and then complained because they couldn't do things the way you expected.
2) You criticised two staff members (neither of whom had given you what you wanted) for eating while being on the phone to you. Yet I'm fairly sure that if they'd given you what you wanted you wouldn't have mentioned the fact that they were eating while working. For me reading, there was a clear implication of unprofessionalism specifically tied in with them not having given you what you wanted.
3) Even after people here told you what the deal is, and explained why, you still criticised Amazon for having that policy AND insisted on doing it your way despite advice to the contrary ("I will just return the one I have now to Staples unless they happen to have one in stock when I get there.")
4) You described the process of returning the device to Amazon and getting a replacement as "unnecessarily troublesome", but only after describing how much of a hassle it was to go back and forth from the store. It's hard not to read that as "more troublesome than what I've been doing". A response of "wow, that would have been much simpler than to-ing and fro-ing", for example, would have carried a very different implication.

Yes, you've finally got the result you wanted. That's because Amazon does have great CS. But if only you'd contacted them when you got your first defective unit, all of the subsequent angst (and complaints) would have been non-existent. (And frankly, I don't understand why you didn't; warranty claims can always be made with either manufacturer or reseller - if dealing with the reseller is so hard, and you already think Amazon's CS is great, why on earth didn't you contact them sooner?)

I don't yet see you taking responsibility for having made that choice; only getting impatient and scornful with me for pointing it all out. But whatever floats your boat.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 12 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 1474 4 seconds ago
My kindle won't turn on 1980 17 seconds ago
Kindle Store Purchases 1 30 seconds ago
Sharp Smart Central App? 1 7 minutes ago
My Kindle won't charge 441 10 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 1823 28 minutes ago
FireTV App Request - NHL Gamecenter Ice + Crunchyroll + NHK News Live 21 30 minutes ago
New Batch of Voyages 5 31 minutes ago
Where did Kindle Lending Library free borrowing go? 2 32 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions