Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

No wi-fi in my city

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 9:14:30 PM PST
Kindle Fire HD The only thing keeping me from buying is wi-fi. Abilene Texas isn't quite in the 21st century and wi-fi coverage is VERY spotty. I need something I can use while riding the bus. The one with 4g is just too expensive for me. Would Kindle Fire HD 7" ever have 3g or 4g ability? Maybe something for Kindle to look into.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:21:23 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
Wifi is a short range (several hundred feet) that you provide or some businesses provide for its patrons.
If you need something while moving you are going to need 3/4G to make a connection. If you have a smartphone it might be capable of creating a local wifi hotspot that you could use. That is what I use for my wifi tablets & Kindles. You could also get a mifi device from a cell provider to do the same thing. Either way you will be paying for a data plan to get this type of access.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:22:17 PM PST
Charles, you can buy a mobile hotspot from AT&T or Verizon

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:22:22 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Don't hold your breath. No 7" tablet has 3g or 4g.

Do you have a smartphone? Most of them has the ability to act as a WiFi hotspot that the tablet can connect to on the go.

You can also get a mobile WiFi hotspot device from most cell phone companies and pay a monthly fee for a data package and connect the tablet to that on the go.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:18:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:19:43 AM PST
bollycats says:
I bought a wifi hotspot from Clear. There is no contract and you can do it whichever months you want. I don't need/want it all the time-just when I travel. So I pay for a month then it sits for a month or two before I pay for another month.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:30:38 AM PST
 Ann says:
You can download content to a Kindle when you are connected to a wifi network, and then access that content while you are away from wifi.

If you need internet access when you're riding the bus, you can use a mobile wifi hotspot - either a mifi device, or a hotspot feature on your smartphone. Check with your cell phone provider for options.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:58:10 AM PST
Tinker-bella says:
Depending on what your specific desires and requirements are, you can still find older generation 7" tablets like the first Samsung Galaxy Tab with 3g rather inexpensively, (I actually own one, which I purchased from one of Amazon's affiliated "deal of the day" websites).

The disadvantage is, of course, that you need to purchase a data plan through Verizon... but you can "pay as you go" without being locked into a contract. I only do this when I travel; I will purchase a month's data plan (for whatever level I anticipate needing) ahead of my trip.

If, however, you are a regular data user, you may find purchasing a regular data plan more financially advantageous (The other disadvantage is that older tablets generally run on older Android OS, and may not be eligible for upgrading to a new OS. While this is not an issue for my circumstances, your mileage may vary.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:12:30 AM PST
Thanks. I didn't know that wi-fi was mobile in itself. I'll use a mobile device This gives me ideas for other projects. Again thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions