Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Different price for same book - why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 6:33:55 PM PST
Barbara K. says:
Hello everybody! Recently I discovered a funny price system for the same book and cannot explain why this should be so. Well: when I look at the new book by Rhys Bowen, Twelve Clues of Christmas, under "recommendations for you", the price will be shown as 11,99 USD, then I click to buy it and the price changes to 17,80 USD. Why is that? I would not buy the book at that price anyway, but it seems very funny. Does anybody know why the difference in price turns up like that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:35:30 PM PST
I guessing it's because you're in India.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:37:10 PM PST
My guess: You're seeing prices for different formats. The kindle edition is $11.99, and the Hardcover is $17.80. For some reason, one edition is showing up, then switching...

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:45:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 6:52:42 PM PST
justlaura2u says:
I think they have another system glitch, Kindle Daily Deal veterans books ---- Lost in Shangri-La says $ 2.99, when I click on it and am taken to the page where I can purchase it, it says it is $13.82. Then again it does say sometimes there are territory restrictions so maybe since I live in Canada I don 't get a good deal on the book, if so, they can keep it.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 11:39:52 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
Kindle Daily Deals are advertised/shown as US prices and it's often the same for recommendations (sometimes they're correct, sometimes they aren't and a book that says currently unavailable may in fact be available when you click on it)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:29:50 AM PST
Barbara K. says:
When I look at the buy now-button page, I find 'Kindle Edition 17.80 USD, Hardcover 16.45 USD'. Now how funny is that?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:34:55 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
I see that Lost in Shangri-La book as 11.54, 9.99 and 13.06, but it's no longer the Daily deal

and today's Daily Deal is unavailable for me in France

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:36:29 AM PST
Cluny says:
11.99 in U.S. as I just checked (kindle edition) . If not in U.S, price is based on dollar conversion rate, VAT in Europe where applicable.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:08:07 AM PST
Barbara K. says:
Sorry, it has nothing to do with conversion rates or VAT - when I look at Amazon.de (Germany) I can buy books in Euro which are the equivalent of the US price.
Also, this book was not advertised as a deal of any kind, it was just a usual recommendation, so that doesn't explain the difference, either.
Any other idea?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:15:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 5:16:18 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
recommendations often appear as US prices

and I see this book in my list of recommendations as being currently unavailable: Red Country (First Law World 3) , but when I click on it, it is available

I've just learned never to believe prices on my recommendations, emails, etc as they're incorrect a good percentage of the time

I used to get real upset when I'd see on Amazon's front page that a book was at a good price, only to click on it and find it was twice that for me - now, I'm inured to that

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 7:12:48 AM PDT
George Wade says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 7:15:52 AM PDT
I don't see a Kindle edition for that book. Also, are you in Canada?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 7:18:42 AM PDT
I'm not seeing the Kindle edition, either. There's the usual link to click to say, "I'd like to have this book on Kindle," but where are you seeing an e-book of this title?

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 7:20:00 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
The Autism Revolution: Whole-Body Strategies for Making Life All It Can Be

$11.68 here, but then I'm in france

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 7:21:04 AM PDT
Ahah! $9.99 for U.S.

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 12:13:22 PM PDT
George Wade says:
Our Prime Minister is trying to even out these price differences so within 25 years we may be treated more fairly. Meanwhile I shall be reading a lot of public domain classics and borrowing from the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 12:18:06 PM PDT
T. Cook says:
Or you could register your Kindle to Amazon.ca to buy at Canadian prices, or buy a Kobo and buy your books from Chapters/Indigo.

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 12:31:39 PM PDT
George Wade says:
I do seem to have bought at a Canadian price: $15:67 !

But I hear that I cannot pass it on to a friend or even a family member, after reading it ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 12:33:02 PM PDT
No. E-books are licenses to read the words on your device. You can loan out your device, or buy an extra Kindle to swap around with friends.

Posted on Oct 9, 2013 1:29:28 PM PDT
George Wade says:
T Cook is right, thank you: $13:72 paper; $$13:99 Kindle Ed; on Amazon.ca. The content of 'Autism Revolution' is the revolution in understanding how disabilities of all kinds that are caused by toxins and gut dysbiosis can be improved by detoxifying and probiotics + behaviour training, when helpful. No complaints about the price of this particular book, at all.

But I shall have to spend time with a lawyer and on the Electronic Frontier Foundation learning how this concept is managed world wide. I suppose that libraries are still locked and barred out ? And they are not needed for Gutenberg editions: which runs their own library. Not that I wish to pirate stuff - but do not wish to hang on to it when I could be sharing. Especially with the under-developed world.

I just started using Kindle Mac to read on my desktop and laptop. Thanks Folina.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 1:31:24 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
Digital files of books have different rights than physical copies.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 1:32:39 PM PDT
King Al says:
Libraries purchase licenses to ebooks under different terms. Since libraries can lend ebooks to patrons, they have to pay much more for an ebook than you do and/or they are restricted in the number of times they can lend it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 2:28:30 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If you don't like the terms then buy the paper books. Pretty simple.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 10 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Classic Words Solo 271 3 minutes ago
page-turn animation for kindle fire HD 7" 52 3 minutes ago
Love the Echo 2 19 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 4597 23 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 6745 25 minutes ago
putting kindle books on my next book 2 30 minutes ago
Kindle and Chromecast not working on Netflix 26 30 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 578 31 minutes ago
kindle owners' lending library 26 36 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions