Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Might be going from Kindle Keyboard to Kindle paperwhite

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 1:55:43 PM PST
C. Weaver says:
though I must admit, I'm scared. I LOVE my kindle keyboard, but wish I could read in bed. While I have the kindle fire, I enjoy reading on the regular kindles so so much better.
Anyone here go from the Keyboard to the paperwhite? Need some thoughts

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:57:23 PM PST
You do realize that trying a Paperwhite doesn't actually mean you *have to* give up your KK, right?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:00:13 PM PST
Also remember you have until January 31 to return it, so you really have nothing to lose.

Personally, I prefer the KK or the basic - I just do not like touch screens. Now if they put out a KK or basic with the PaperWhite screen..................

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:01:00 PM PST
C. Weaver says:
lol of course not. But I was going to give my kindle keyboard to my friend's son
(Huge reader but doesn't have a kindle yet)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:03:09 PM PST
Still, you can make that decision after you try the Paperwhite.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:04:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:05:04 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
I went from the Keyboard to the Paperwhite. I too was apprehensive about the touch screen but got over it within 5 minutes of using the Paperwhite.

It is easy to use and the touchscreen is very responsive. I love the light and the crisper text. The touchscreen is much faster for selecting items over moving the cursor around with buttons.

You can always use your Keyboard when you don't need the light and use the Paperwhite for your bedtime reading but after using the Paperwhite I bet you will use it more over the Keyboard.

You have 30 days to try it out and send it back if you don't like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:00:52 PM PST
I've switched from the paperwhite back to the Kindle Keyboard (KK). The KK is just EASIER to read in that the text is so much blacker, and as you said, I have issues with the touch screen. I'm constantly wiping the iPad 3 I use as my tablet. Now, if they can made a glowing screen with a blacker font (and not that washed out gray currently available on paperwhite), in a KK format -- I'm in line to buy it. I'm surprised at that fact that people don't mention the washed out appearance on the paperwhite.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:24:47 PM PST
Kristasgram says:
I loved my KK but sold it on ebay in order to buy to buy my paperwhite.Yes, I was very nervous thinking that I should have held off until I got my paperwhite , but all is well :) I was lucky to get one with a decent screen first time. Love that I can have a light at night or whenever I need it. I don't notice any diff in crispness of screen. Battery life was much better on my KK. So - my bottom line - if it's important to you to have a light built in , then go with the paperwhite and hope to get one with a good screen. If you are comfortable using a booklight or having another light source,stick with the basic kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:01:13 PM PST
JudyWA says:
I loved my KK from the very start, but now I love my PW even more. For one thing, it's lighter than the KK and the fonts look crisper to me. The biggest factor, though, is that I can now read wherever I am without even bothering to look for a light source. Since I travel frequently, that's important as most hotel rooms don't have adequate reading light these days.
I got a cover for the PW that puts me right into my book when I open it, and I like it a lot. (I tried Amazon's cover for the PW but somehow didn't find it balanced well in my hand.) Now I have the one by Fintie and it feels great, looks good, and works perfectly.
Like many others, I'm not a big fan of touch screens, but I've gotten to like the PW's just fine.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:53:02 PM PST
gmakim says:
I am a HUGE fan of my KK, but really wanting to get the paperwhite. One question I have-can I load the books I have on my KK onto the paperwhite? And, if so, how easy is that to do?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:00:06 PM PST
Just register the PW to the same Amazon account as the KK, and all of the books on the account will be available to download to the PW.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:20:18 PM PST
John D. says:
Liked my KK, but definitely like the PW better. Unlike a previous poster, I see no screen difference between my KK and the PW when the light is turned down -- the blacks on my PW are as black as those on the KK.

But with the light on the PW turned up, the difference is night and day. I much prefer the PW. And reading at night in bed is just so much easier, and anyplace I might find poor lighting.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:07:20 PM PST
lonbeehold says:
I also much prefer my PW-and I absolutely loved my KK-really didn't need to get the PW but for me now there's no turning back. I love the size (which I initially thought would be too small-I liked the added length that the keyboard gives) and the touch screen is great. I thought I'd miss the physical page turn buttons, but I don't at all. The even lighting is so much better than using an external source attached to a cover. I am very happy with the change.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 4:42:40 AM PST
I got rid of my KK last year and switched to a Basic which I far prefer due to its smaller size and lighter weight. I don't miss the keyboard at all and never used the audio features anyway. I'm getting a Paperwhite for Christmas and am really looking forward to the lighted screen since I do a lot of reading in low light conditions. I was reluctant to give up the physical page-turn buttons but after reading comments from others who've made the switch, I think I'll adjust to the touch screen. If not, I've got until the end of Janurary to return it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:27:39 AM PST
Sarida says:
When I tried it out at Staples, the black frame around the book seemed too much of a contrast to me. I guess I've become so accustomed to my graphite KK.

Other than that, I loved the PW!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:51:47 AM PST
I have both! I LURVE my KK, and would never give it up. I carry one in my bag. My PW is on my nightstand, so I can turn the lamp out and read before bed.

Keep both!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:46:22 AM PST
Cammie says:
I have both PW and KK, and use both. I'm leaning more and more back to KK because of the touch screen on PW; it turns 2 pages at once, it gives the Aa screen (and often makes its own choice and changes font), it highlights and I get the dictionary box; AND it has no text-to-voice.

Peggy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:47:07 AM PST
what is the advantage of going from a Kindle Touch to Paperwhite?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:48:19 AM PST
The built-in light. Also, the Touch is no longer for sale new, unless you happen to find a Best Buy or Staples that has one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:00:44 PM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
The Paperwhite is also lighter, and it has a better touch screen design.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:16:20 PM PST
I went from my KK to a PW. I can't imagine going back to my KK now. In fact, I've already given it to my daughter.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:20:55 PM PST
Give the kid a new Kindle (Basic...$69.00), keep your KK for audible.com book playing, and for other things while the Paperwhite is recharging, and use the Paperwhite in bed, and for out of bed reading while the KK is charging.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:37:51 PM PST
Cariaddxb says:
I love the KK. However have just tried out the Kindle Paperwhite. Now if there was a KK with the adjustable lighting available of the Paperwhote, I would be very happy

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:34:29 PM PST
gmakim says:
Thank you. I knew it would probably be easy, but wanted to make sure.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 1 day ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 7 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 14 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
BAAA© Amazing Kindle Books and Helpful Tips #3 3302 10 minutes ago
New Kindle Fire HD keeps shutting off 409 12 minutes ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 4311 14 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 2388 32 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat... July 2015 67 45 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions