Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Unhappy with Kindle Fire Warranty

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 12:06:12 PM PST
J. Levy says:
Don't know if this has been discussed before..probably has but I'm too upset right now to search. I received a Kindle Fire last year from my brother for Christmas. Absolutely love it...can't say anything bad about it...use it daily. BUT today I called support with a couple issues. It was freezing...no prob..they fixed it. It was turning off it's wifi...again easy fix. Then the shock came....where the charger plugs in it has become very loose...sometimes to the point if you bump it it will fall out. I figured it wasn't a year old...still under warranty. WRONG!!!! I guess my brother purchased it in October or November...therefore the warranty was no good. Now how is this fair? The warranty should begin when the kindle is registered...because you have to register it to use it right? Maybe I'm wrong. But I also purchased my daughter in law a Kindle Fire HD in November when I had the money....it's a Christmas present so she looses some of the warranty. I just don't think it's fair...at all. Amazon did offer to sell me another Kindle for 150 dollars which really kind of ticked me off. End of rant...anyone else experience this? And please don't suggest I should have read the fine print :)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:08:54 PM PST
Artist says:
You should have read the regular sized print to acquaint yourself with the terms of the 1 year warranty.

You could also have purchased an extended warranty.

All warranties begin on the purchase date, not the date you first use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:09:50 PM PST
Dittie says:
So, you only want replies that agree with your OP? Good luck with that.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:16:52 PM PST
Most warranties start from the date of purchase.

J. Levy - I would suggest you contact customer service again and try with a different representative. The charging port issue is a known issue with the 1st Gen KF. Explain that it was given to you as a gift and you personally have not yet had it for a year. If you can, be friendly with the CS rep and tell them how much you love your Fire and are so bummed that this problem developed and you can't use it now... You might get a replacement. You also might have to try a few times, but you might get a different result.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:23:47 PM PST
The warranty expressly says one (1) year,
One year is 12 months. Not 12.5 months or 13 months.

Purchasing a Square Trade extended warranty for for your electronics would seem to be a good idea.

I would suggest that you call Amazon customer service regarding an extended warranty if it has been more than 30 days since you purchased your daughters KF.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:35:37 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How long should a 12 month warranty from the date of purchase last?? So if I purchase a new Kindle today but do not register it to my account until next November I should still have a full year warranty from that point on??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:41:49 PM PST
Fud53 says:
Well it's fortunate for the rest of the world that your take on what's fair or not isn't held by to many people or that little device you are so disappointed in would cost 10 times what was paid...bet you didn't consider that in your MEMEMEME! rant did you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:13:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 1:14:58 PM PST
Sarida says:
It's a problem with all companies/stores, IMHO.

If I buy an electronic from a big box store on Black Friday for my granddaughter, and she doesn't like it, I'm passed the time to return it. It's the same with year warranties. It's the time from purchase - not the time it is first used.

I don't think there is a satisfactory answer for the consumer or the seller.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:37:52 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Sure there is. Extended warranties.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:41:56 PM PST
You should contact Customer Service again. Use the phone option, not email. Point out to them that the loose plug problem is a known problem with the Fires and should be covered regardless of the warranty terms. I know of at least one person who got them to replace a Fire with exactly the same problem, although it was only a couple of weeks after the warranty expired.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:51:39 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:52:48 PM PST
This is not true. Almost all Big Box stores (including Best Buy) have an extended return policy that runs from Black Friday until a few weeks after Christmas.

Here is Best Buy's: "Gift purchases made between November 4, 2012, and December 24, 2012, can be returned through January 24, 2013."

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:53:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2012 1:54:07 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:02:29 PM PST
Write them and ask for an exception. Both Apple and Nikon repaired devices for me that were no longer covered by warranties. Maybe Amazon will do the same if you ask. It's cheap advertising for them.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 2:05:04 PM PST
emily swan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:08:30 PM PST
Emily - The issue with the 1st gen Fires is that the usb port on the *device* is loose and will not longer charge when the charger is plugged in. It's a valid complaint and a known issue. It's not just a simple matter of buying a new charger.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:09:10 PM PST
flipoid says:
emily, it's not the charger cord. It's a known problem with the charger *port*, which cannot be fixed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:23:38 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
There you go then. Enjoy....

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:48:00 PM PST
emily swan says:
I was not aware that it was a known problem. Mine is on it's 13th month. Works just fine. First fire.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:34:02 PM PST
Mary McManus says:
It is not a problem with ALL of the original Fires, but it is a known issue with many of them. I would talk to another customer service rep during business hours on the west coast. You need to talk to them, not write. When you write, all you get is a canned response, often not even relating to the problem.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:27:40 PM PST
J. Levy says:
Thought I'd come do an update. Thank some of you for being kind...some of you....no comment. Anyway....I did not call Amazon again...I let it go..decided I would tape the charger in place if need be...end of story. Until this morning. I was surprised with a call FROM Amazon and a very kind and pleasant customer service person. He said he was calling to apologize...that he had gotten something terribly wrong and he wanted to make it right. Without going into great detail he said it seems as though I had a legitimate complaint. They are sending me a new Kindle Fire. I was not expecting this and I am so terrible terribly thrilled :) Amazon did right by me and I really appreciate their consideration. Once again...thank you to the posters who realized I was not just whining and being a mememe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:30:02 PM PST
nice!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:30:59 PM PST
Excellent. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:34:54 PM PST
This is why I am going to pick the Kindle HD as a replacement for my Nook Color. B&N never would have done this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:49:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 2:54:11 PM PST
Don't all warranty's start the date of purchase? And end on the anniversary of the date of purchase?

Your brother didn't buy you an extended warranty even though he was buying it about 2months before gifting it you? Or having you buy it, even if it meant that you knew what you were getting for Christmas?

Where have you gone that the warranty starts 2 months after purchase?

ETA: Glad it worked out. Hopefully you learned something from all of this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions