Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat, Saturday, Dec. 15, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 151 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 10:09:44 PM PST
Good day all :) Starting off the day's thread just before I head to bed. Just finished watching "White Christmas", my favorite Christmas movie - singing, dancing, beautiful dresses, wholesome values, happy ending - what could be better? I also taped the movie to watch with my daughter when she's home for the holidays. It has also become part of our family Chriistmas tradition - my sister and I always sing the "Sisters" duet whenever it's on. Tonight, she is at her own house about 6 hours away, but we texted each other while singing out loud at our respective homes. Family movies have become a tradition of our family, as we also enjoy It's A Wonderful Life, and our modern Christmas favorite, The Family Stone. Any other suggestions for me to add to our cozy Christmas movie repetoire?

Of course, I'd REALLY love your suggestions for good book choices, as always. Please post your picks for the day, any great past picks you'd recommend, and share whatever you feel comfortable with. A great group of like minded friends is a true blessing in our modern day world.

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.
You are welcome to join us for conversation; however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors"
area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

For those keeping track:

Birthday and Anniversary link. *@*
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!225&authkey=!AKPFhMjMoPLl7y8

Special Birthday Wishes today go out to Melissa Shaw - thinking of you and all our friends who have something to celebrate today!

Sites to check for listings of free books:
ereaderiq.com/free/
us.kinlib.com
dailyfreebooks.com

STARTER SCHEDULE:

MerryInTexas - Sunday, December 16 start time 7-8am CST
Twas The Night...Leo.. - Monday, December 17 start time 12:30am PST
Joyful Judy - Tuesday, December 18 start time around 11 p.m. EST
Courtney - Wednesday, December 19 start time around 12am EST
BubbaK - Thursday, December 20 start time around 12 am EST
Lover of Blitzen - Friday, December 21 start time 12:30am PST
KayKay - Saturday, December 22 start time 12:30-1:30 EST
KayKay - Sunday, December 23 start time 12:30 - 1:30 EST
Twas The Night...Leo.. - Monday, December 24 start time 12:30am PST
Elf Keeper - Tuesday, December 25 start time: 6-7:00AM EST probably earlier
Courtney - Wednesday, December 26 start time around 12am EST
MerryInTexas - Thursday, December 27
Lover of Blitzen - Friday, December 28th start time 12:30am PST

Open Dates:

Saturday, Dec. 29
Sunday, Dec. 30
Monday, Dec. 31
Tuesday, January 1

Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. It's nice to have people willing to support and help. Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Current Secret Santa participants:
A. Mitchell
Beaming Joy to the World (BMW)
Becky (beckygardens)
Bells-a-Jinglin'
bethcross
Bows-cay
BubbaK
Charlie-bird
C. Hayes
Christmas Fiddler
Courtney
CruisenReader
Dog & Turtle
ebook addict
8 nights of light in ME
Elf Keeper
Elaineb
Every Kiss Begins With Kay(K)
4Nbahu
fourthdaymom
Grandma Mary
Jolly Janine
Josie
Joyful Judy
juleegee
Kajola Ka Jolly hoLiday
Kindlana
KY Bk Addict
Like Kissing Santa Claus
Linda B
Lover of Blitzen
MaryinFL
Mo
New Mom
Nospin
OregonDreaming Of A Dry Christmas
Pat the Peachy Elf
PoinsKETTiA
Ribbon
Scarlett859
Seli Elf
SilvaraWilde
S. King
smurphy
Snowlady Sandy Shops
Special ed teacher
Sugarplummed Suze
Twas The Night
WyReindeer (WY Renegade)
I'm excited to hear about everyone's choices :) If you are not yet on the list and you'd like to participate, send an email to MerryInTexas who will let you know that you're in!
Secret Santa guidelines:
1)you must have a public wish list
2)there must be at least one item 2.99 or under that can be gifted - ebooks, mp3s, or a 2.99 gift card, if you prefer Kindle Fire apps
3)you will need to provide MerryInTexas with an email and your Kindle handle privately, so that she can send you your Secret Santa. She will delete all emails from her account after Christmas is over.
4) Secret Santas may deliver their gift anytime after receiving their name, but must deliver their gift before Christmas Day noon.
5)This is still a Christmas present - recipients must not open their present (email) until Christmas morning.
6)If you are participating in Secret Santa, you MUST post at least once on Thursday December 20 or Friday December 21, so your gifter can find you.
MerryInTexas will take names until next Thursday, December 20, and send you your Secret Santa handle on Friday December 21. Ribbon and Sugared Suze are assisting MerryInTexas with this sweet Christmas plan.

Link to yesterday's thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1904OVAVCVEL1

Happy book collecting :)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:22:43 PM PST
It just isn't Christmas with out...... Miracle on 34th Street........

And my sister swears the Die Hard is a Christmas movie..me, not so much...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:23:05 PM PST
Great start DonnerBeeGood...thanks. :)

Favorite holiday movie has to be A Chritmas Story. My DD requested this every year for many years and we always ended up rolling on the floor with laughter. Even now we still use lines and references to that movie and end up laughing like kids. I saw the "house" converted to a museum on a commercial in Hulu+ complete with the leg lamp in the front window. How fun it would be to visit. :)

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Marilyn

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:29:26 PM PST
Thanks to you both - I knew there were some classics that I was missing out on. See you all in the morning for some book picks.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:44:02 PM PST
The Holiday,,,,,,,, I Love this one
Love Actually....

Both are fairly new in the last few years but I enjoy them each year...

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:45:04 PM PST
Lyn says:
A Charlie Brown Christmas

See you on the flip side. 'Night.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 10:51:12 PM PST
Nite Ribbon... hope your SO is feeling better soon. :)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:00:22 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jun 27, 2014 2:55:58 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:21:30 PM PST
Lyn says:
Chemo did a number on the immune system so it is harder to fight the nasty bugs.

Time to go to bed. Nite Dreamer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:32:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 11:36:42 PM PST
For us:
It's a Wonderful Life
Charlie Brown Christmas (I'm not sure if that's the actual title)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (any)
A Christmas Carol (any)
and Christmas Story

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:49:13 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Someone shared this really uplifting article on buzzfeed.com:
"26 Moments That Restored Our Faith In Humanity This Year. Sometimes you need a reminder that people can do wonderful things."
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/moments-that-restored-our-faith-in-humanity-this-y

I needed to read the above mentioned article, for confirmation that there IS good in our world, after reading about the absolute devastation of the shooting and killing of 27 people, including 20 children at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in the US. My WHOLE body had goosebumps as I read that article and see the horror and grief that it has resulted in. How utterly, utterly heartbreaking and I somehow, by some miracle I hope and pray that they will get through this time of despair.

(I'm not sure of the above figures as they differ in various articles)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/under-god/post/sandy-hook-shooting-shocks-a-nation/2012/12/14/0310a918-4624-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_blog.html

I thank you all for the positive thoughts you share here, I'm glad I found this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:04:38 AM PST
@Beeg Panda

Thank you for posting the link to 26 Moments, the pictures and stories are heartwarming and it's the perfect time to be reminded of how caring and generous people can be and the good that exists.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:34:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 2:38:58 AM PST
Beeg Panda says:
Yes, I think we consciously have to find things in which to rejoice, especially this time of the year.

These are free (I hope I'm not double posting, I have checked but couldn't find them mentioned before, but I could be wrong)

An Unbelievably Gluten-Free Holiday Sampler by Anne Byrn

The Time Keeper by Trish Albright (it is a 2012 Christmas novella, a historical romance that takes place in Greenwich)

ETA - I haven't looked at these so have no idea if they're good or not ***blush***

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:16:12 AM PST
The Kinlib update just came in....

Saturday, December 15th 2012, 03:10 AM PST (559)
http://us.kinlib.com/new/e5a6/

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:29:45 AM PST
 nospin  says:
Crossed: A Jayden Morrow Mystery (Jayden Morrow Mysteries)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:45:32 AM PST
netta says:
A movie I love at Christmas time it Scrooged with Bill Murray and The Santa Clause

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:21:32 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks Beeg Panda,

Your link to "26 Moments" was exactly what I needed to see this morning!

My heart is broken for these families in so many ways.....I can hardly process it!

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:46:31 AM PST
Suze says:
Christmas Bells A Cherryvale Holiday Novella (The Seasons of Cherryvale)

Reviewed as a "Feel good story".

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:59:10 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
the best Christmas Carol ever.....The Muppet Christmas Carol

and to whomever posted the maple book...you had me at .maple divinity........thanks, I think

and ribbon, re last night so post....lol. the guys at the office will love it

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:10:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:11:14 AM PST
Suze says:
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨ ★
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨ **
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*o*
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*♥*o*
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨***o***
¨¨¨¨¨¨**o**♥*o*
¨¨¨¨¨**♥**o**o**
¨¨¨¨**o**♥***♥*o*
¨¨¨*****♥*o**o****
¨¨**♥**o*****o**♥**
¨******o*****♥**o***
****o***♥**o***o***♥ *
¨¨¨¨¨____!_!____
¨¨¨¨¨.._________/¨¨¨

~~~~~~SECRET SANTA~~~~~

We are checking our list of participants (in the Sat. Opening above) and if your name isn't listed there please post that you want to join us and then email your Chat Nickname to MerryInTexas, who will be joining us shortly!

Please celebrate with us the friendships we have formed here, sharing our lives, the good parts and the sad parts , with lots of caring and laughs and smiles!

It's going to be fun to see which name we receive, check their wish list and send them a gift and who will our "Secret Santa" be???

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:28:27 AM PST
Scarlett859 says:
Some books for the younger generation.

A Disastrous Adventure Aboard The Titanic
An adventure story involving cousins Sam and Robert on board the Titanic on her Maiden Voyage to New York. April will be the 100 anniversary of the sinking of this great ship. For children aged 8-14 years.

Floppy And Bertie Go To Lapland (The Adventures Of Floppy And Bertie)
This is a Christmas special in the Floppy and Bertie adventure series. A delightful tale that will enchant children of all ages.

The Seawytch
A thirteen year old boy, Ewan, moves to a new house with his Mum after a messy separation from hs father. Ewan, who's pirate-mad, finds the move difficult and soon runs into trouble at his new school. Soon his only escape becomes his fantasies where he is a pirate, but as things become worse he finds that even his fantasy life becomes dark...

The story deals with bullying, loss, fear, betrayal and despair - can Ewan find a way past these reefs to the calm waters on the other side?

Although written with older children and young adults in mind, the story deals with quite intense themes around bullying and the psychological impact on its victims.

Pinocchio and the Seven Thieves
An adventures book written by a nine year old for children in the age of 5 to 105. While reading this book the reader takes an active role and can decide which action to take. When rereading the book the reader can choose to take different actions and hence read a different story. In total there are 6 different ways of reading this story and 5 different endings.

A fragment of the story:
One day you and Pinocchio head towards the woods. Suddenly you hear shouting from the left.
If you are about to continue walking without checking where the shouting is coming from click here. Otherwise continue reading on this page.

Colin and the Little Black Box (Colin Series)
In the second book of the Colin series, Colin and his friends face a new host of enemies.

Frederick, Colin's father, his aunt Grizzelda, and the Circus of The Moon have gone to Faerie to face Count Blandicus, a vampire set on revenge for wrongs committed by Zuhayer.

Meanwhile, Colin, Rhea and Spike are left to deal with O'Brien, a rogue Logheryman, who is busy transforming everyone into their greatest nightmares. But he soon finds out he has friends: The Hunters, a secret organization founded to maintain the separation between those in Faerie and those in this world.

Colin discovers that at the heart of the matter, is a little black box hidden by his great grandfather in on of Rivertown's murals. Contained within the box is a power that will change their world forever.

And there's another problem -- only one person can open the box, and that person is Colin, and Colin must open it whether he wants to or not.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:20:41 AM PST
TerryInTexas says:
could someone add westcoaster to the SS list for me? tablet not cooperating....

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:25:58 AM PST
Lyn says:
Just bringing it over to the correct day :)
South Beach Shakedown (The Mick Sever Music & Mystery Series)

Snowlady Sandy Shops says:
From my wishlist....
South Beach Shakedown (The Mick Sever Music & Mystery Series)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:28:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:30:06 AM PST
Lyn says:
Officially hit 50 with the addition of westcoaster

A. Mitchell
Beaming Joy to the World (BMW)
Becky (beckygardens)
Bells-a-Jinglin'
bethcross
Bows-cay
BubbaK
Charlie-bird
C. Hayes
Christmas Fiddler
Courtney
CruisenReader
Dog & Turtle
ebook addict
8 nights of light in ME
Elf Keeper
Elaineb
Every Kiss Begins With Kay(K)
4Nbahu
fourthdaymom
Grandma Mary
Jolly Janine
Josie
Joyful Judy
juleegee
Kajola Ka Jolly hoLiday
Kindlana
KY Bk Addict
Like Kissing Santa Claus
Linda B
Lover of Blitzen
MaryinFL
Mo
New Mom
Nospin
OregonDreaming Of A Dry Christmas
Pat the Peachy Elf
PoinsKETTiA
Ribbon
Scarlett859
Seli Elf
SilvaraWilde
S. King
smurphy
Snowlady Sandy Shops
Special ed teacher
Sugarplummed Suze
Twas The Night
westcoaster
WyReindeer (WY Renegade)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:30:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:30:37 AM PST
JudyD says:
Have not even read the first post today, and like all here still feeling sorry for all that has been happening in the news around our country and elsewhere. Have to turn off the TV due to the overload and the fact we cannot do anything, not to mention they do not even have all the facts yet, let alone giving the families the respect of being left alone - for now, to deal with their losses. Cannot begin to understand what they must be going through.

Actually only stopping in to post Wish List located books, then out until probably later today or tonight. Have a young man coming by to do physical labor for me, as Monday is a "special garbage pickup," where most anything we put out over the weekend will disappear. Of course, we pay for this in our garbage bills and taxes, not free, but better to take advantage of it. They will take large branches, old furniture and appliances, etc., but no chemical (which we have to take to a special drop off location). Son took care of rabbits he had left here for almost 2 years after moving but left very large cages and wooden frames that this young man will disassemble for us, saving the wood for reuse but getting rid of that and some tree branches I need drug out. I'm going to see if I can get him to help me defrost a small freezer while here - thinking he can unload the current things into a cooler, we can unplug it while he is doing stuff outdoors, and then he can towel out the moisture and get rid of the ice, and help put the stuff back in at the end of the day, since I'm not supposed to bend, pick up or lift anything. It is now starting to drive me crazy having to sit and watch - guess that means I'm finally on the mend :) Keep reminding myself, don't do it, don't do it, don't do it - so I don't undo what the doctor repaired. That is hard though, as I seldom have time off and there is so much I would like to do, at least in my head. Still feeling weak when I even do small walk for now. Enough! Hope that makes a few of you chuckle when you remember a similar situation.

Christmas in Wine Country
The Rudolph Challenge (Flea's Five Christmases, #2)
Plead Forgiveness (Loyalty Series)
Firefly Hollow
Far from the Storm (Young Underground #4)
The Catalyst - A Balancer Chronicle (The Balancer Chronicles)

Will check in later, Judy

(Edited "... since I'm not supposed to bed, pick up or lift anything," to say "bend", after providing a nice chuckle for the morning :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  151
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions