Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Fire HD 8.9 uncomfortable. Does cover help?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 7:56:22 AM PST
Sonia R. says:
I have tried the Fire HD 8.9 for a few days now and find it heavy to hold for reading and uncomfortable to hold with one hand for playing games. I'm leaning toward returning the device although the beautiful screen is great for watching movies. Would a cover help, while not with weight, of course, but with holding?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:00:46 AM PST
~nospin says:
A cover helps a great deal. My cover has a built in stand and i rarely hold it while using it.
CaseCrown Ridge Standby Case (Black) for Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Inch (Built-in magnet for sleep / wake feature)

Mine is green -

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:22:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 10:32:54 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
I have a large tablet, and when I'm sitting in my recliner I set it on a pillow on my lap; at a desk or table I use its stand to hold it upright. If I must hold it while I'm standing for extended periods, I rest it on the inside of my left forearm with its right edge in my palm so I can curl my fingers around it.

ETA: I use my tablet almost exclusively in landscape mode.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:32:26 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
I have ordered the CaseCrown case (thanks special offers!), it should be here today.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:32:45 AM PST
Sonia R. says:
It sounds like I should have spent my money on a comfy chair rather than a tablet ;-) I got the pillow idea when sitting/lounging, but I want the device for entertainment when I'm waiting...waiting for the car service, waiting at the doctors office, etc.

I love my regular reading Kindle with the keyboard for books and word games. Perhaps one device cannot meet all needs? But carrying around more than one would make my purse too heavy. I know I am more comfortable holding my keyboard Kindle with the case on rather than without, and that is not a weight issue, but rather security, grip, so the device doesn't want to slip.

Since my primary purpose for a Fire HD is to carry with me for waiting times, perhaps the smaller Fire HD is the better device.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:35:56 AM PST
Sonia R. says:
Regarding the CaseCrown, does the device have to be removed from the case in order to use the device vertically?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:36:26 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
I think a case would certainly make it easier to grasp and hold on to. I've found the 7in to be better for e-reading, but overall prefer the 8.9 due to superior web browsing and video.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:38:31 AM PST
The CaseCrown Ridge cover can be used either way. The part that the Fire is in is attached by velcro to the back of the cover. For portrait/vertical you pull it off and reposition it on the velcro.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:47:29 AM PST
Sonia R. says:
Thank you all for the helpful comments.

I see the CaseCrown Ridge is not Prime Eligible...has it been? Even paying shipping though, it is less than the $55 Amazon Kindle one.

My other problem is constantly turning the device off accidentally because the on/off button is right where I'm holding and every time I reposition (which is a lot) I seem to depress that button. I'm guessing a case helps with that problem.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:21:46 AM PST
B. Wright says:
My experience was much much better when using the 8.9 in a case. Aside from just protecting it from bruises and bumps, It makes it so you don't have to hold it up most of the time. Still for long form reading you can't beat the smaller e-ink kindles.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions