Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD camera?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 16, 2012 1:31:16 PM PDT
Does anyone know how to locate the camera? i can see that there is an installed app but i cannot find it to use on the kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 1:33:55 PM PDT
Dittie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 1:55:46 PM PDT
JW says:
I believe he meant he can't find the app to use it...

Answer being: there isn't an official app for it. Yet. Other options for now are things like Ever note, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 2:12:36 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
How is he seeing something that isn't there? He said "i can see that there is an installed app"

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 2:24:37 PM PDT
The camera is not usable in the "normal" way (ie. taking pictures - not sure why Amazon's decision on this). It only works with Skype. I tried it and it worked OK.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 2:26:25 PM PDT
You can use it to take pictures. It's not great, and very clumsy, but you can do it. I've done it using Evernote.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 2:30:59 PM PDT
The Engineer says:
The camera also works with "imo." Bottom line is, there is no native "picture taking capability," just support for apps that use the front facing camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 7:55:21 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:03:53 AM PDT
Pie Grrrl says:
Hi Meya. I've got my 8.9 on order and I have Evernote on my Samsung tablet. Would you be so kind as to "walk us through it", the procedure? Thank you. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:05:45 AM PDT
You launch Evernote, use the "add note" option, and tap the Camera icon. That turns the camera on, and there is a button/icon you tap to take the picture. You then can save that picture or delete it.

It is clumsy but would work in a pinch.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 8:24:05 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I could not imagine trying to use my tablet for taking pictures and it has a camera. Heck just buy a digital camera, they are so cheap now and will give you better pictures than a tablet camera can give.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:27:31 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Someone the other day said they were legally blind (or very near so) and can't see a regular camera. That is why they would use a tablet as a camera. But I just can't believe all these people complaining about this are legally blind.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:31:04 AM PDT
T. Cannon says:
I remember a post from the guy who was legally blind. I think he was hoping for a rear facing camera though so that he could see the image on the screen while he took the picture. I would seem mighty awkward to see the screen while you took a picture with a front faceing camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:39:04 AM PDT
Pie Grrrl says:
Brilliant! I've copied and pasted your answer so I don't lose it in the months to come before the Fire arrives at my door. Many thanks for the tutorial. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:43:00 AM PDT
Mary Jane says:
People will use what is handy. Cameras take much better pictures than phones, but more people will consistently carry their phone around than their camera. I have a friend who carries her tablet with her at all times. She likes to show her pictures using the tablet because it has a much bigger screen. For convenience sake, she ends up taking many of the pictures with her tablet. To each his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:46:57 AM PDT
Pie Grrrl says:
Ah, but Jazzy_Jeff, you're thinking ONLY with how >you< use a tablet, not those of us who run our own business!

I've owned the original Samsung 7" Gal-Tab since Nov. 2010. I bought it vs. the original iPad for TWO reasons:
1) expandable storage, and.....
2) THE CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who owns their own business that is heavily dependent upon design KNOWS the value of a tablet's camera! Sitting with a client at their kitchen table and showing them several $2,000.00 trees that could go into their garden on a SEVEN INCH SCREEN is waaaaay better than a miserable SmartPhone Screen. People are used to the 5" x 7" profile and with Pinch & Zoom, I can make a 'sale' every time I use the tablet's camera.

I've also taken photos of job sites to show to my irrigation and lighting experts, to explain a difficult installation or area. Also use it heavily for insurance purposes for client's claims for their insurance for storm damaged trees.

I plan on getting the 10.1" Samsung Note when it has 4G options; being able to annotate future client's photos of their gardens with Before & After designs and them seeing it on the BIG SCREEN...well, that darn tablet will pay for itself with one single job!

BTW, I'm buying the Fire exclusively for amazon content but if I'm chillin' on my back porch and the dogs or cats are doing something funny, I'd like to be able to capture the moment if I have my Fire in my hands rather than the Samsung. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:51:23 AM PDT
Pie Grrrl says:
You nailed it, Mary Jane! I have THREE digital cameras gathering dust the past two years since I bought my Samsung 7" tablet. I love showing friends my personal photos on the large screen and it's incredible as a portfolio of my job installations. With expandable storlage, I have over 500 photos on my tablet of all kinds of landscape installations we've done and if a future client really loves particular photos of mine, I just email them the photo instantly from my tablet. Once I have the note-taking funciton of the 10.1" Samsung, I can finally annotate the photos, too. You are correct: To Each Their Own. :)

I plan on using the Fire's photo function for screen savers and family photos.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 8:55:41 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 9:05:21 AM PDT
Pie Grrrl says:
Oh, it's only for personal use on the Fire so I don't care how crappy it looks. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 9:28:53 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
But you are talking about viewing photos that already exist...not about the actual picture taking.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 9:34:48 AM PDT
How do you know when the kindle fire hd is fully charged? No camera to take decent pics,what the heck.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 9:38:40 AM PDT
"How do you know when the kindle fire hd is fully charged?"

You unlock it and look at the battery icon at the top right of the home screen, just like any Android device.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 10:02:46 AM PDT
Pie Grrrl says:
No, I was talking about actually taking shots with the Fire, as explained above. "Good Enough" is good enough for me on this device's limits. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 10:06:30 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
you said:

"showing them several $2,000.00 trees "
" them seeing it on the BIG SCREEN..."

If it is that important and it will pay for itself quickly for you, then buy a device that has that option (for extra $$).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 10:15:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2012 10:16:00 AM PDT
The Engineer says:
Use GSam Battery Monitor (Free). You can program it to play a notification tune, when the battery is fully charged or when it drops below a certain level.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.5
33 1 hour ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
kindle problems 42 25 seconds ago
Why are some ebooks not available on a paperwhite kindle? 4 2 minutes ago
url kindlestore.com absolutely acted like amazon.com/kindle -- UNTIL TODAY 5 3 minutes ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 7435 5 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 6525 6 minutes ago
How can I turn off autocorrect on Fire HD 8 9 minutes ago
Why no Kindle e-ink device with audio capability? 46 13 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 3118 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Sep 16, 2012
Latest post:  May 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions