Can anyone tell me how to change screen savers on kindel paper white

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2012 4:34:48 AM PDT
Jean Smith says:
How do I change screen savers on kindle paperwhite

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 4:40:32 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
you can't - Amazon had that option on the very first kindle and has never put it on another since then

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 6:42:15 AM PDT
Jean Smith says:
I did see a place on manage your kindel or amazon last week where you could make a change but I can't find it again

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:03:01 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
You can pay $20 to have the special offers removed. If you do, you get the stock Amazon screen savers. As CBR said, there's no way to put your own pictures up as screen savers on the the Kindle Paperwhite.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 7:19:27 AM PDT
Jean Smith says:
Yes I did that but I saw a place where you could check a box for landscape or animals etc but I can't find this place. It was a few days ago

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:35:21 AM PDT
Jean, go to Manage Your Kindle, then Manage Your Devices. Scroll down on the page, and you'll see that area.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 8:10:40 AM PDT
Jean Smith says:
Thanks for the info...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:15:48 AM PDT
Huh? I was overjoyed when I read this, but on my "Manage my Devices" page there's just a list of devices, Whispersync settings, and Language optimized storefront. That's it, no checkboxes for screensavers... Do I gather that other people have more options there?

Thanks,
Annette

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:18:06 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
they're talking about a place to remove the Special Offers screensavers, not a place to choose screensavers

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 1:46:40 AM PST
Um, I'm confused too. I think Jean and Meya are talking about two totally different things, but in all of the cross talk, Jean felt Meya answered her question, and all is well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 1:50:32 AM PST
Actually, there have been options put out there to add your own screen shot images to subsequent Kindle devices. My Kindle 3 (or KK as it's known now) has all of my own screen saver images on it. Of course, I'm not sure that there's anyone out there still pursuing such options for the latest Kindle devices.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 1:51:16 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
hence my confusion - I'd think the screensavers, if there is an option to select type would be on the kindle itself, but as I don't have a Paperwhite...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:46:58 AM PST
It's an option only for Special Offers Kindles. It's on the Manage Your Devices screen and, basically, does absolutely nothing. At one time I messed with it quite a bit and no matter how I set it, nothing changed.

Your Kindle Screensaver Preferences
Edit your preferences on the styles of screensavers you wish to see on your Kindle with Special Offers.

It's right above Device Synchronization (Whispersync Settings).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 2:55:20 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
no wonder I don't see it them - even though my Fire has special offers, I don't see them

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:53:54 AM PST
Pushka says:
There is an option now to put your own screensavers on but you need to change the ppw firmware so you do this at your own risk.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:12:58 AM PST
H B says:
go to the home screen in your paperwhite, and type in the characters in line beneath, to disable the screen saver:

~ds

By searching for the 'avg' symbol, and ds behind it, your Paperwhite will disable the screen saver.
Note: Works for paperwhites that are ad free.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:28:04 AM PST
Denni says:
As Pushka said, there are options...BUT they involve 'hacking' into and changing your basic Kindle programming. To do so voids any and all warranties.

Basically, Kindles have ads/screensavers and they are not at this time programmable by the customer.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 11:30:09 AM PST
TuxGirl says:
H B:

How did you find this? I've seen a few different cheats like this, but I'm curious how these are being discovered! I'd love to see a compendium of them, because they are pretty cool cheats.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2013 5:55:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2013 1:13:32 PM PST
lonbeehold says:
Very cool HB! Is there a way to reverse it if you want the screen saver back?

ETA: To get the screensavers back, do a hard reset.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:10:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 7:11:36 AM PDT
Charbourke says:
HB:

would that ruin my kindle? i just want to change the screensaver but i dont want to mess up the system

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 8:42:56 AM PDT
Perry says:
I'll try this ~ds command when I get home tonight, but what exactly is this going to do? Does it make the Paperwhite continue to display the page in your book when you put the Kindle to sleep?

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 9:32:30 AM PDT
Here's the link to the Mobileread.com Developer's Corner which discusses numerous hacks and jailbreaks to install custom screensavers, fonts, etc., on e-ink Kindles: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150 . I don't recommend them unless you know what you're doing so proceed at your own risk!

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 5:12:42 PM PDT
Perry says:
I just tried the ~ds command on my non-ads Paperwhite and it does appear to remove the screensavers, but it also seemed to disable the power button as the screen stays lit when I press it. But what is nice is with the official case, the LEDs power on faster than I can open the case so the book is instantly ready to read, and I don't see the flash with the e-ink updates when the text replaced the screensaver.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 8:28:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2013 8:43:50 PM PDT
Swede says:
Just did the same thing, you just have to hold in the power button for a bit to turn the device off.

See http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198334 and http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 2:01:06 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 6, 2013 5:15:40 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
80 15 minutes ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
My kindle won't turn on 1384 2 minutes ago
Help! My new book has blank pages! 7 5 minutes ago
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] 9821 9 minutes ago
How to read books from the Kindle app on Android without internet ? 1 11 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1169 28 minutes ago
Kindle Fire parental control 120 31 minutes ago
Will Kindle Fire work with a portable hard drive? 8 39 minutes ago
Reset Parental Control Password 167 42 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 1547 47 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2012
Latest post:  May 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions