Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 26, 2012 4:48:18 PM PDT
Cinder says:
To assist in keeping the Freebie BOOKS - Links Only thread on topic, this is the place, for our discussion of maintenance issues and related housekeeping topics, proposed changes, and questions.

Please do not post your daily links here. :)

`

::: (\_(\
*: (=' :') :*
*.. (,(")(")¤°.¸¸.*´¯`

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:48:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 10:20:16 PM PDT
Cinder says:
Hiya everyone, we are getting this new room set up! Moving in the boxes and getting things unpacked...

Hey, where did the chips go? <g>.
haha.
<--runs for chips, trips over half assembled table....

ooooh. Nice snacks assortment, Mitford.
ok, I am going to go refill the tea jug. I will be back in a bit. ;)

Feel free to stay with your original post, and just edit, as the ideas progress, if you would like to give that a try.

eta- Thanks for all your suggestions, the new thread for May is up! We will hopefully be adding some FAQ type info here, for the newbies, and additional helpful tips.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:49:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 6:50:40 PM PDT
[Assorted snacks & beverages are available, please help yourself!]

Okay, I'm going to use this post to list a few of my questions/suggestions for the follow-up thread to the April freebies. I'll post my chat in the other post below....
I should also add that I won't be the one starting the next thread, because I can't participate every day.

--Might be a good idea to switch to a continual thread format instead of monthly - at the current rate of posting (+/- 50/day?), that would need renewal about every 6+ months.
--Need to continue emphasis that books do not stay free
--I suggest dropping the daily update of the day's link in the OP - unless it's something Cinder and pref one other person want to take on?
--Are people actually using the FreebieStart date search function?

Other poster suggestions:
--Address DV issue by encouraging Up Voting when necessary (Dee)

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:56:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 2:10:54 PM PDT
Re - duplicate thread with MOA - actually something that could wait/be discussed.
Cinder's prob right that most "offenders" are new - would be nice to have a specific thread to direct them. Just something we could think about...
Yes, some basic MOA directions for authors/vested interests would prob be good.

Re Kinlib - I've almost never used it, so not a good person to ask, sorry. :)

I always just flip to previous day's posts - if we can get enough "front page" volunteers to update the daily link close enough to the thread OP, that's nice. But this might get burnt-out eventually?

Agree with Dee & Cinder, wb good if the "regulars" try to include the price-check reminders & UV's more frequently.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 5:07:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 6:14:33 PM PDT
Dee Reader says:
Hello Cinder, Mitford13 and any Lurkers like me. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate everything you do to keep the freebie thread up and running.
I try to add shots of UV whenever I can get online.

Thanks, I wanted to ask if you think there is a way to remind Lurkers that Up Voting helps keep spirits up?
It's just so frustrating to see all the mean spiritedness.

Since I am relatively new to the forum I have hesitated to do more than post links. But I am willing to help with reminders.
I agree that with the rate of posting a monthly thread may be too much.

--I add reminder to my posts to check if the book is still free. I could alternate with a message that up voting is encouraged. Not sure how to word it.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 6:44:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 2:22:27 AM PDT
RandOR says:

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 6:56:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 5:45:17 AM PDT
Cinder says:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

One of the potential problems with authors self promoting, is that, the 'Zon (Amazon), can & will, simply remove our whole thread... Previously, I think that similar forums got overrun with authors & their threads were deleted. It is unfortunate, that some books and magazines etc, are promoting the (illegal) use of the customer forums to authors.

@Mitford, I think the problem we are having with authors self promoting, is more the newer authors, they don't even know about the Meet Our Authors forums... or the rules that apply here. We could certainly work on having a better Wing post or a section of the OP, to address authors, with the link to MOA, etc.

eta- We should probably include the terms publishers and financial interest too. Todays poster (Pinkerbelle Rex), is the illustrator of the book.

eta-2 - yes, we need more emphasis on UV, since without the chat, it is the only feedback we get. It is nice to know, that the lurkers appreciate the Links and the posters.

eta-3 @Dee Reader. Nice list!

--------------------

`

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 7:42:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 5:04:22 PM PDT
Dee Reader says:
@Mitford13 -I don't hate the idea. It might help if authors knew we had a link to their thread. I don't know the history behind the separation in the forums, so others would probably be a better judge.

ETA: TO DO LIST
1. Lurking, Hoarding
2. Posting
3. Up Voting
4. Price Check Reminders
5. Hoarding
6. Thanking everyone for their posts
Am I missing anything?

ETA-2 I'm off to do some up voting will check back later ;-)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:00:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 6:34:56 PM PDT
babel says:
ETA: My answers to your questions, Cinder:

The way that I access the Links thread: There are only 3 threads I regularly follow (Chat, Links, Discounted), so the link to this thread always appears in my Recently Viewed. I very rarely look for it in the main forum list - only to see if the thread needs bumping.

Even on the odd occasion when I look at other topics and my reg threads could be pushed out of the Recently Viewed, I manipulate the list so that Discounted remains in the RV window. I don't bother doing this with Chat or Links, as they are usually within the first 2 or 3 pages. If the L placement slips further, I just keep looking until I find it. My eyes skim for the capital words "BOOKS" and "PROMO" - the caps make it very easy to locate. I've never had to do a Search for this thread.

Re: Current day's post: I think that the post that says, for example, Friday is over and it's Saturday today is a luxury, not a necessity. It's nice to have but I think it's an awful lot to ask for one person to be on site every day at c. 1 a.m. PDT to post that, when it's easy for us to read the date on the free book posts. There are only 2 or 3 pages of links daily. People can easily click "Newest First" and work backward a couple of pages to find that day's free books. Since there's no chat to follow, there's no internal chronology for posts needed. I think of Discounted, where people just post and readers are expected to look at posting dates to see how old the post is, if there is a price change from what's posted. I think the Discounted thread works very well, without a lot of hand-holding. People still manage to find their discounts.

Re: Kinlib updates: I subscribe but only for the purposes of the Chat launch. I never use them. I always go to us.kinlib.com to browse. I stop scrolling when the date changes.

Re: Continuous thread: A great idea. More people will/may bookmark it, rather than depend on having to look for it in the forum.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:01:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 7:17:58 PM PDT
Cinder says:
I agree, I think a continuous thread is the logical way to go. I can add a link at the end of the April thread, to jump to the new thread.

My current questions for the group... Is anyone having any difficulty, finding the current days postings, and, if you are NOT using the "recently viewed discussions" window, or the highlighted posts on the board, how do YOU find them?

Do you like having the current morning (kinlib) updates posted? Right now it is fairly easy for me to continue with the updates, and the morning update link, but that might not happen every single day.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas that might make the new thread more friendly, or easier to navigate?

I may edit this later, & add more questions. :)

@Mitford, you could grab one more post and bump the thread...
here we go... Ok, enough bumps. <g>.

ETA- It is probably getting late at night now, for the East coast folks, so, thanks again for the suggestions. We will keep working on things, and maybe even put up some new questions or info by tomorrow...

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 2:33:43 PM PDT
consider it bumped...

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:23:03 PM PDT
MadVilla says:
...and a lurker bump...

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:35:13 PM PDT
I think it's been working very well. Even when I haven't had it in my "most recently viewed" box, it's been easy to find -- either it's on the first page, or I type "links only April" into the search, and there it is.

If there have been a lot of posts since I last looked at the thread, I just scroll down until I see the bunny and the links to kinlib & such -- those links are also a good visual cue that it's the start of a new day's post.

We actually have had fewer author self-promo problems than I expected -- and fewer than there are in even less relevant threads at times! -- so I think that just dealing with them on an ad hoc basis as they come up (as has been done this month) works. The main problem is with the drive-by self-promos, where all they do is post and run, never bothering to check the thread again. Those who have posted and returned have been pretty polite about it (the ones whom I've seen, anyway) and apologized and removed their posts. The others who drive by are often tossing their promo posts into all kinds of threads and never bother to go back and notice that they're unwanted. There's not much we can do about them.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:46:26 PM PDT
Cream City says:
What Amelia said.

The format for the April thread and more worked well for me, for a fave time of my day.

I also greatly appreciate all of you who organize, contribute to, and populate this thread. I often don't have time lately to peruse other sites loaded with free ebooks, so I turn to you who have done so for us. When this hectic time passes, I hope to contribute in return!

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:54:01 PM PDT
fishmaven says:
Hi all, I just found this forum a few days ago and just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the work everyone puts into it. I found the continuing thread easy to use and navigate by sorting newest post first and it's been amazing. Thank you!!

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:55:59 PM PDT
Yes, I also should have said how much I appreciate those who take the time to start the new section of posts in the thread each day -- 'cause I really do appreciate it very, very much, even if I haven't expressed it sufficiently! I don't take you all for granted! :-) Thanks very much! (And thanks to everyone who posts their picks & so helps me choose some of mine!)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 4:00:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 4:09:15 PM PDT
Cinder says:
@AmeliaAT, would you mind crossposting your post on how to add a link directions from earlier today, over to this thread here?

eta- Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 4:02:53 PM PDT
Sure! I do appreciate the ASIN directions, but I think that sometimes that throws people who aren't sure where to find it, and I think it's good that there are multiple ways to post links. :-)

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 4:03:59 PM PDT
Linda B says:
I thought the April thread worked well. Thanks to those who make the extra effort to keep it going.
I don't post links everyday but do stop by for at least a quick look most days.
I make an effort to UV whenever I visit - I know how the DVF can deflate posters spirits.
The forum shows in my list of recently shown discussions and I didn't need to use the daily break to find my place - I like to see all of the books since I checked in last even if they are no longer free when I get there. But I do think the bunnie was cute! And it helped to know when the date changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 4:07:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 4:10:51 PM PDT
Here you are, Cinder. Feel free to copy it, edit it, repost it, whatever, wherever you like. (It's probably a tad on the wandering-and-wordy side!)

When I have a whole bunch to add, I open MYK, copy and paste the bunch of freebies (deleting any that I bought & paid for), then I quickly delete the extra words (the date and 'Actions'). Then I highlight the title of the first book, use ctrl-V to copy it, click "Insert Product Link," paste in the title, select Kindle Store, then click "Go." When the eBook shows up, I select it and insert it.

I very rarely have more than two books to choose from [in the list that Amazon presents]. If it's a title that I think is going to be very common, then I copy and paste both the title and author's name. I find this much easier and faster than finding the ASIN for each book, though for others, the ASIN method would work better.

When I only have a few to add and I remember the names of the books, I simply type the names into the search bar in the "Insert a product link" gadget, select Kindle Store, and then "go," and insert the link. This is much, much faster than hunting up the ASIN, since I can easily retain the title of a book, but can't remember a random string of numbers, and so would have to go to the product page to find them.

If I have the time, I will go to the product page & cut & paste the book description.

The only time I will use the ASIN is when it's difficult to find the particular edition of a book, but even then, it's not always foolproof, and I end up using the book's URL (which also gets turned into the book's name & link to it by Ammy).

Most of the time, though, just searching the Kindle Store (after clicking the "insert a product link") and using the title will work, and I think it's easier for people new to inserting links.

* Cross-posted from http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=135&cdPage=6&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx22F8IBD6R9ANF&cdMsgID=Mx3DIXXLCULF533#Mx3DIXXLCULF533

ETA a little bit of clarity. :-)

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 4:13:03 PM PDT
Pa says:
With you all the way :o)
To Infinity and Beyond!

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 6:16:29 PM PDT
I think I am late to the party. drat!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 6:20:06 PM PDT
LOL, smurphy - it's more of an open house...

feel free to add any ideas/suggestions you have - Cinder will be starting the new thread in a couple of days.
here - have a mini-cupcake :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 6:59:01 PM PDT
Thanks for the cupcake.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 7:32:50 PM PDT
TAR@AL says:
Thank you Cinder (and all others) for keeping the Links Only forum up and running. This companion chat forum is a good idea, too. Great input/ideas here! The monthly link has worked well and a continuous link should work, too. I locate the forum each day by looking under recently viewed discussions. I don't understand the down votes (maybe it's just an immature kid messing with our heads). I do try to remember to go back and up vote all the posts before moving on to the next page.

My PC has slowed considerably in the last month and my Kindle for PC application locks up (I get a message about virtual memory being too low when using Kindle for PC). I'm thinking I already have too many free books and I should probably cut back, but the books sound good and it is hard to stop! I have tried to increase my computers virtual memory, but I may just need a new PC. I don't want to give up the free book hunt! You all make the hunt too much fun!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 165 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  135
Total posts:  4113
Initial post:  Apr 26, 2012
Latest post:  4 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions